Cylinderhead Question For The Motor Builders

Trailertrash

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I need to no if the 708 cam that was installed in the 96 to 99 GTS using the same stock valve springs as the later model GTS 2000 to 2002? Do you know what the spring pressure was at installed height on the 96-99 gen2 I would like to remove the cream puf cam from my 2000 GTS and install the 708 grind from the 96-99 GTS slight performance gain but the overlap differance provides a much better sound quality that I like.
:2tu:

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At some point the part # may have changed but if ordered today, the part # 04761616 is good from 1992 to 2002. Those cams are still real close as far as spring selection.

Edit: Just looked....part number was the same in the 1997 book too.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't forget to change the lifters as well. Use the Mopar Performance lifter, it is not a bleed down style lifter as used in 2000+ engines. The lifter is part of the reason, why cream puffs have a smoother idle.

2001 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From my own experience, you might as well get a custom grind cam from Greg Good. It would be well worth it, especially the hp potential and the sound is bada$$ to boot!!

OP
OP
T

Trailertrash

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I already have the 708 all I need now are the lifters. I went with the 708 for mainy reasons. Sound, small power increase over what I have and the fact that it is still hydraulic and easy on the valve train. I drive my car from Indiana to Key West Florida to New York just for fun during the summer months. I plan to drive it to LA next year with a stop in Vegas ocourse.