Damaged (moderately) Viper for Sale

Eddie N

Enthusiast
Reaction score
what ruins it for me is the salvage title.. why would it have a salvage title if the damage isnt too bad?

- eddie -

viperrt96

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The reason for salvage titles is to inform all future owners and investors (banks) that the car was considered a total loss at one time. Other than that I'm not afraid to purchase salvage title cars. Cars can be repaired better than new. Problem is finding someone you can trust that will do that kind of work. Object is to get in the car for much less than buying one outright. Local state laws on salvage cars differ from state to state but in the end you pay the same insurance premium on a salvage titled car as you do a regular one. Same goes for pay out. I had a Corvette with a salvage title and I was broadsided by another (uninsured motorist). My Insurance paid me in full. They didn't even ask about the title. My insurance agent was aware of the title. He is the one that told me it didn't matter. You don't save on your insurance premium if it's salvage or not. The only thing that suffers is resale.

SurfSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Car looks like it has some frame damage also. You will only save about 14,000$ which is retail price on the new hood, and then have a rebuit viper thats worth thousands less with a salvage title. Doesnt look like much of a good deal, maybe for 20k it would be.

just my 2Cents.

scottgf

Viper Owner
Reaction score
A couple problems about "salvage" titles..
I have owned a couple cars over the years with salvage titles...I dont have a big problem with them except, when I went to sell them they are usually worth just about as much less as the "savings" was when I bought them, so bottom line no net gain $$$.
Then factor in the scary part about buying a salvage...the unknown factor of hidden damage, and unless you can get it for WAY UNDER the wholesale blue book plus repair costs, I would stay clear of them.
In this case, why was it a salvage if it could be repaired for less than wholesale blue book or replacement cost?....I would imagine it is because it actually would cost MORE than it is worth to fix it, that is why the auto "rebuilder" probably bought the salvage at a auction..
Just my humble opinion....
Cheers,

NDW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The problem with selling back and forth is having to pay the sales tax (in TX it is 6.25%) each time you transfer title. I don't think the local licensing official would believe a $1 sales price. You would have to want a clean title very badly to pay the actual sales tax on seven transactions. I bought a 99 GTS 4 weeks ago that at one time had a salvage title. When I purchased the car, the title was a rebuilt title. Saved roughly $15,000 over comparable mileage car of same year/mods judging from other car prices I was looking at.

The first owner lost control and slid into a bunch of bushes/small trees shortly after purchase. He didn't want (or was scared of) the car after that, and was able to get the ins. co. to salvage the car. A new passenger door, side sill and rear lower A arm later, it was good to go.

This rebuilt title put the car in a price range where I could justify to myself spending the money. Now if I could just get this smile off of my face each time I drive it.
smile.gif

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I remember whaen Hurricane Hugo pummeled Florida, and water damaged hundreds of cars. Florida requires that the title display "salvage".

So what do ya know, all of a sudden there are a bunch of Florida cars for sale in So California.

When the title transferred to Cal, the word "salvage" was not required on the new title. Lots of unsuspecting buyers got snookered, like my son, with his 94 Camaro that developed strange electrical problems. Had a lot of green contacts in the failed switches, indicating electrolosys.

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
A salvage title doesn't scare me in the least so long as I can end up with a deal in the end. Of course I never buy a car to sell it off so resale is just as meaningless.

Here is an annoying thought. As of this morning I have 45 RTs and 36 GTSs listed as Salvage on my private lists with 50 still unconfirmed. Factor into that I've only been keeping track for 6-7 months now. I think its a pretty safe bet to say at least 1:30 RTs and 1:10 GTSs have been severely damaged in their short lives.

At this rate there will soon be very, very few Vipers still 100% original and far less will Salvage titles.

NDW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The jury is still out on if my GTS will develop any unforseen problems. I have put 500 miles on it this first 4 weeks, and have not noticed anything wrong. The engine and trans. are completely dry, no leaks and all of the panels seams line up and close as should. The factory warranty is valid for another 3 months, and I plan on purchasing an extended warranty before the orginal expires.

Bonkers, I too purchased the car to drive the heck out of it and enjoy it. I tend to keep my vehicles a long time, so resale within the next few years was not on my mind.

picflight

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have bought and sold several cars with salvaged titles in the 80's, every one of them was meticulous rebuilt and inspected by me. I wouldn’t be too concerned if it was a Honda or Toyota but a high performance Machine like a Vette or Viper I would be a bit concerned. What if there is a slight imperfection in the frame or suspension or arms have been shocked, we already drive these machines on the edge, at least I do, and there isn’t much room for error.

Having said that, I would still explore a salvage titled Viper if the deal is sweet and I have thoroughly examined the frame.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine