Damn pully!

DEADEYE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So I'm just driving down the street and this guy asks me to rev it up. I do it and the car revs so quickly that I was lucky to catch it in the yellow. I look in the rear view mirror and see pully shrapnel flying violently all over the place. I bought the replacement but do I need to remove the power steering pump or can I just remove the pully hub while its still mounted on the bracket. Do I need a special pulley puller? The one my buddy has won't fit. :confused:

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You don't need a special puller, the one you get at Autozone should work. It's easier to take the pump off the car to replace it, plus if you haven't upgraded the P/S bracket from stock to the billet piece, you will be pulling it apart again in the future. Especailly with the Roe! I did the pulley when mine exploded, but didn't do the bracket(too lazy). Paid for it when I got stuck because of bracket failure. :( :(

00prowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Daves Big Brakes has what you need...A billet aluminum Pulley and P/S bracket..dont put that cheap plastic pulley back on. His site shows bracket failure photos too...his prices are very reasonable...Think I paid a little over 200 for both...Nice quality stuff too!...AL

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got Dvea pulley and P?S bracket as well very nice work at a great price...
Alot easier with the pump off ...with the right tools its an 1.5hr job Inc a cup of tea..

Knight Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I couldn’t agree more that Dave's setup is very nice. I had a machine shop pull and press on the new pulley ($20) and I replaced the bracket while it was off(Don’t forget your Anti-seize). If I knew I could get the tool from AutoZone or somewhere for less I would have gone that route so I would have the tool if someone else needed it.

00prowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Deadeye, What kind of numbers are you pulling with your setup? I have a Roe S/C 10LB **** etc. no headers @ 620 RWHP...Thanks...AL...

OP
OP
D

DEADEYE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey Deadeye, What kind of numbers are you pulling with your setup? I have a Roe S/C 10LB **** etc. no headers @ 620 RWHP...Thanks...AL...

I dyno'd at 604 rwhp and about 668 rwtq on 3:73 gears. The gears skewed the reading though. I've since gone back to the 3:07's. I think it'll put down 630ish - 640ish rwhp.
Sean Roe thinks it would put down closer to 650 but I don't want to build up my expectations only to be let down. I don't think the gears made that much of a difference. Wishful thinking imho.

OP
OP
D

DEADEYE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
BTW guys. Thanks for the advice. I had already replaced the bracket after it broke. Now the pully is gone and I have the replacement. I was just hoping for some short cut tips. Looks like I'll have to do it the hard way. Taking that bracket off is a *****.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte