Dashboard repaint

Dan Aseere

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Its time to repaint my Gen I dashboard. Original paint is getting nasty and even sticky in spots. I have seen them redone in black but has anyone painted theirs gray to match the interior trim? Maybe pictures? Also what did you use to strip the factory paint as not to damage the plastic? Thanks in advance.:rolaugh:

impalassed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
In the same situation. For me I'm going black to match the doors. Basically how I feel the color scheme should have been from the factory. I have heard oven cleaner as one possible paint stripping option. But nowadays with the "safe for environment" movement there may be other things on the market a bit les "toxic". I have not checked out Eastwood yet but they are big into restoration materials. Maybe they have something.

rpm9000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used oven cleaner on mine and it worked great. It does not damage the plastic dash. I painted mine flat black.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I ended up using PlastiDip over the stock paint on my mom's gen 1. Didn't have to worry about removing the old stuff that way and didn't necessary lose any originality if someone cared that much. I'm not sure anyone would really want it original when they get old and sticky like that, but to each his own. Been pretty happy with it for the most part. Has firmed up a good deal compared to the first several days. Don't think it holds up as well to scratches and wear though.

GRANGER73

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a brand NIB dash available. PM if interested.
Rick

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used oven cleaner and it took several hours of hand prep - if you want it perfect it is not easy.

Last edited:

mmcc269

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 1993 RT.... The grey dash needed a refresh. Took it off brought to a body shop, had it striped and painted in satin blk dash paint from BMW.

You must be registered for see images attach

JPL

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had mine wrapped in this "carbon film" it came out ok, but they didn't strip the grey so it's not sticking 100%, I think it looks alright + if I wanted to I can peel it off and go back to the gray.....I dodn't think I will do that, lol!

http://s307.photobucket.com/user/jpl20/media/da1_zps7ab169ec.jpg.html
http://s307.photobucket.com/user/jpl20/media/da2_zpsd6abea7f.jpg.html
http://s307.photobucket.com/user/jpl20/media/IMG_2988_zpse809a76f.jpg.html

http://s307.photobucket.com/user/jpl20/media/IMG_2995_zps1c02ea40.jpg.html

http://s307.photobucket.com/user/jpl20/media/cfphoto_zpsa2a791ad.jpg.html

Last edited:

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Definitely oven cleaner and lots of patience if you are going to strip it yourself. Don't use any sharp tools to help as you will scratch the plastic. Easy off, let stand, wipe - repeat until done.

BamBamSu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 1993 RT.... The grey dash needed a refresh. Took it off brought to a body shop, had it striped and painted in satin blk dash paint from BMW.

Wow, nice!!!!

Jance GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm redoing an interior in a 92 Mercury Topaz. It was reddish maroon/faded pink. So I'm completely color changing the entire interior to flat black. I have been using DupliColor Vinyl and Fabric spray paint in flat black with amazing results!!! I hope to have it completed by Oct and I plan to post pictures of it.

It's super easy to spray and doesn't require a lot of extra prep or primer. Just scuff and shoot.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It will lift the oem paint, it has to be stripped.

I'm redoing an interior in a 92 Mercury Topaz. It was reddish maroon/faded pink. So I'm completely color changing the entire interior to flat black. I have been using DupliColor Vinyl and Fabric spray paint in flat black with amazing results!!! I hope to have it completed by Oct and I plan to post pictures of it.

It's super easy to spray and doesn't require a lot of extra prep or primer. Just scuff and shoot.

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's a good weekend project. The grey dash should have been satin black from the factory...but it wasn't!

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thiagets