DC’s focus should be: More Horsepower or More Actual Speed?

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Viper currently is rated higher in horsepower than the Z06, but the Z06 turns out better numbers.
What should DC focus on? Bettering the Z06 numbers or killing it in overall HP again?

1. More HP would be great for bragging rights, but the average driver could never finesse that power to the pavement.

2. Or better 1/4 mile and track times, with traction control and or other computer enhancements, that all drivers can duplicate?

Inquiring minds want to know.......

2005 Silver SRT/10
2000 Steel Gray GTS (sold)

valentine_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The Viper currently is rated higher in horsepower than the Z06, but the Z06 turns out better numbers.
What should DC focus on? Bettering the Z06 numbers or killing it in overall HP again?

1. More HP would be great for bragging rights, but the average driver could never finesse that power to the pavement.

2. Or better 1/4 mile and track times, with traction control and or other computer enhancements, that all drivers can duplicate?

Inquiring minds want to know.......

2005 Silver SRT/10

Good question. My vote is more power without the nannies, but with improvements to the tires, rear and suspension that allow better use of the power. Afterall, there are plenty of modded Vipers out there that make way more than stock power and have figured out how to harness it, at least to some degree.

SRT10Mike

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You bring up a good topic for a healthy discussion.

I would be in favor of reducing the weight of the SRT-10 to take better advantage of the current HP. Simple things like a redesigned exhaust and non run-flat tires to more complex changes such as aluminum frame and more use of CF body components.

I know the cost factor will have to be considered as well. But with slumping sales and other high performance cars capturing market share, I don't think DC has much of a choice if the breed is to survive.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Less weight equals shorter stopping distances,faster acceleration and higher cornering speeds at the same power level.But its cheaper and easier to just bump up the power. GTS Bruce

CAS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Less weight.
NO FORCED INDUCTION.
Quaife.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Less weight equals shorter stopping distances,faster acceleration and higher cornering speeds at the same power level.But its cheaper and easier to just bump up the power. GTS Bruce

The z06 has nothing on the srt for braking. I don't see why we can't have both faster times AND more HP. Obviously, the trick is to balance the two to get maximum performance while minimizing costs.

OP
OP
Andrew/USPWR

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I seems to me the issue is traction. Vipers, have had from the get-go, have widest production tires available, just to get that power to the pavement. It been enough in the past just to have brutal horsepower, now it seems that’s not enough.
Chevrolet, with the dollars their putting into racing, I’m sure they have a few more tricks up their sleeves.

2005 Silver SRT/10

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
add boost and a more free flowing exhaust and THEN traction control if they HAVE TO.

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Industry has determined to add "lightness". Z06 did it. Lotus did it. Jag just did it. Better fuel economy, handling and braking. Better overall car.

Then add hp that can be applied, not just wheel spinning stuff.

Reaction score
The Z06 achieved less weight by giving up durability. It says right in the glove box of new Z's if you shift into second gear while you are losing traction in first gear you will break the trans and we will not warr it. Power shifting to second in a new Z should bring a dust pan and broom. The new Z has a 3 page list of halfshaft changes just the C6 Z. I know because I needed a replacement on mine right out of the box. Even with traction control my Z was a twitchy as a pickup truck on a wet day. They gave up a whole bunch of things that make reliable cars for weight.

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
... They gave up a whole bunch of things that make reliable cars for weight.

Easy 2008 SRT weight reduction changes (with no significant loss of durability):

> eliminate exhaust cross-over
> Comp Coupe flywheel
> 'Sidewinder' wheels
> Carbon Fiber hood

OP
OP
Andrew/USPWR

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Z06 achieved less weight by giving up durability. It says right in the glove box of new Z's if you shift into second gear while you are losing traction in first gear you will break the trans and we will not warr it. Power shifting to second in a new Z should bring a dust pan and broom. The new Z has a 3 page list of halfshaft changes just the C6 Z. I know because I needed a replacement on mine right out of the box. Even with traction control my Z was a twitchy as a pickup truck on a wet day. They gave up a whole bunch of things that make reliable cars for weight

The reliability of the Vipers are fantastic. Maybe a year from now, when all this dirt comes out on the Z06, people will give the Viper, and CAAP, the respect it deserves for making a 510hp daily driver rocket!

2005 Silver SRT/10

Knight

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DC's focus should be BUILDING A BETTER CAR. Performance will come with less weight and more HP. I really hope they figure something out with the exhaust.....

OP
OP
Andrew/USPWR

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
really hope they figure something out with the exhaust.....

I’d like to see this exhaust on the Viper. Should save on some weight as well as heat in the cockpit.

4030DSC02378-med.JPG

2005 Silver SRT/10

OP
OP
Andrew/USPWR

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
with traction control and or other computer enhancements,
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Andrew, you're just trying to start trouble aren't you?

and what say you?

less filling or taste great?

2005 Silver SRT/10