Dead SRT10-No electric life

Hiss Toy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I returned home after about a five week trip and was about to jump in the Viper and cruise, but the remote would not unlock the door. I tried the key and it wouldn't turn. I hooked up for jump start and still no life and cannot open car door. I opened trunk lid to access the battery and hooked good battery charger. After 6 hours with a slow charge still no life and door still won't open. I am frustrated for sure.

FASTRNU

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After you get the situation straightened out, maybe you should buy a "Battery Tender Plus." They are about $50-$60, and you can leave them on your battery for extended periods of time. They actually are supposed to extend the life of your battery because they don't have the negative effects of trickle charges. They keep the battery fully charged with a float charge instead of a constant trickle, which is supposed to be better for the battery.

There is a less expensive model that does the same thing called "Battery Tender Junior."

My Woodhouse driver sugggested I buy one for when the car isn't run for a couple weeks.

Sounds like you need one too. :D

Dave

OutThere

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How many AMPS can it take to open the doors?? What's the battery showing? Sounds like something else.

5 weeks storage in South Florida should drain a 1-2 year old battery. Should it?

OP
OP
H

Hiss Toy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Battery show over 13 amps when tested. I cannot even get in with the car key when I try to turn key if feels as if it will break off before it will turn. It is an SRT 10 I bought in late April

Russ Oasis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It sounds as if the security module (whatever it's called) got confused when the battery became discharged. It thinks that you are trying to steal the car and won't let you in. Disconnet the battery from the car and leave it off for 20 minutes. Reconnect it and then try again. If it doesn't work it won't have taken much of your time to try it.

HSSSTOY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
..Try disconnecting the battery for 10 min. reconnect, push both buttons on key fobe at the same time till you hear a chirp, then start car. Hence, this is the procedure we use for Gen11. Good luck.

OP
OP
H

Hiss Toy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I tried disconnecting the battery for 20 minutes, reconnect, and pushing both buttons on the key fob. I got no chirp and car system is still completely dead, but the battery still test 100% power. Any other ideas. I don't even have a dealer I know within 80 miles.

OutThere

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got me. Doesn't seem to be your battery though. 13 amps should turn the engine over.

Is there any power to the car at all? Any lights or anything?

OP
OP
H

Hiss Toy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No power to car at all. I can't even get in with the key.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am missing the discussion about amps. Do you mean volts? 12.6 volts at no load would indicate a fully charged battery.

Anyway, I looked in the manual and the SRT has a new procedure for resetting the key fobs. But that does not sound like the problem. I read somewhere that the SRT has a battery saver system that prevents draining the battery during extended periods of non-use. I couldn't find anything on it in the owners manual.

In the service manual it looks like everything related to this is in the power distribution box (Box underhood where all the fuses and relays are). There is a relay for Auto Shutdown. I would look there to make sure the relay is working properly.

OP
OP
H

Hiss Toy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry about the amps confusion. It is reading volts, but meter will also test cold cranking amps. Battery is in good shape. I will check relays. One went out in one of my Prowlers that controlled air and other items when you turn key to start the engine.

OP
OP
H

Hiss Toy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I changed the ASD (auto shut down)relay with a spare in the unit, but still no power to car systems. There is voltage at the battery and at the bolt for jump start under the hood and no where else.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can you probe and determine if the relay in side is getting any? If not look between the battery post underhood (jump point) and the distribution center. Looks like you have it down to a relatively small area.

OP
OP
H

Hiss Toy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Ron, I have my Fluke meter out and am checking. Do you or anyone have a wiring diagram of that portion of the electical system you could email me.

OP
OP
H

Hiss Toy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone no where the BCM is located. Do you know if the key cylinder that is located on the body beneath the mirror is manual or works as an automatic off electric system.

Roadrunner

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sometimes to use the external key lock you have to push in on the door to relieve the pressure on the latch... Kind of push in with your hip as you turn the key and the door should release. Keep in mind that the door glass will probably still be up in the seal if the battery is dead... (or other loss of power).

The BCM is located behind the trim panel next to the dead pedal in the driver's toebox.

OP
OP
H

Hiss Toy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you for the input. I tried lean on the door panel and turning the key, but it will not turn to unlock. I really believe the key is the wrong one. Thanks for BCM location, I think that is the problem if I can ever get in the car.

Frank

BarbaraAnn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can relate to your frustration! We had that happen with a '94 RT/10 and it turned out to be a fuse problem. Why don't you try phoning a Viper tech and see if he can give you some ideas? "Our" Viper tech is a total genius and you can phone him if you wish: Dave Harris, Hinckley Dodge, Salt Lake City, (801)484-8031. He has "talked me through" a couple of problems. Good luck!

OP
OP
H

Hiss Toy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Roadrunner, Thank You, Thank you, Thank you I had my wife turn the key by wiggling it as I put heavy pressure on the door and it opened. I got in turn the key, hit the start button and it came to life. Now I can drive it to a Viper Tech so solve the rest of the problem.

Thanks again,

Frank

And thanks to you BarbaraAnn for the name and number of your Viper Tech.

OutThere

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great to hear Frank! Fairly scary stuff though. Please keep us up on anything you find.

Is yours an 03 or 04 SRT?

OP
OP
H

Hiss Toy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi OutThere,

2003 SRT and thanks one more time for the help. The instrument panel is still not functioning, but will get it check out.

Frank

Tom Sessions

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When the battery dies on the srt or you unhook the battery,or put the car into sleep mode you must put the key into the ign switch and turn it to bring the car back to life.Keep in mide if the car will be sitting for a extended period of time you should put it in the sleep mode/storage mode to keep from draining the battery.If you can leave the window down you can reach inside and use the inside door handle to open instead of the key switch under the mirror.The handle inside is much easier to use.

kickinasp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Battery does not die.... if the battery gets low enough the car senses this and will go into sleep mode so there is enough battery there to start the car...

OP
OP
H

Hiss Toy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks to Tom Sessions and kickinasp for information on sleep mode. This is a great forum for knowledge and problem solving.

Frank