Dealer Cash Time On The Gen 5

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In accordinanc with the thread i started a few weeks ago TODAY Dodge released 10k in dealer cash on the GTS and 5K on the SRT . My sources also tell me IF this amount doesnt facilitate drastic sales MORE MONEY will come As i posted in my previous thread the dealers WILL NOT take sales dollars loss on these cars without letting THEIR ZONE REPS HEAR ABOUT IT .

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just did a little fact checking. Right now, there is no official discount from Chrysler or SRT. Dealers now own the approximately 275 or so 2013 Vipers remaining out of the 803 produced. Since there is no price control in the U.S., a dealer can do whatever it wishes to do on these cars. Some dealers, as we know, are more aggressive than others. The dealers also have a dealer only access site that shows who has what inventory and who has inventory available to be obtained by another dealer. I think the discounts being discussed here are for 2013 only and may be something that the dealers informally decided to do as a group. If someone has some proof that it is something else, please post it.

OP
OP

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just did a little fact checking. Right now, there is no official discount from Chrysler or SRT. Dealers now own the approximately 275 or so 2013 Vipers remaining out of the 803 produced. Since there is no price control in the U.S., a dealer can do whatever it wishes to do on these cars. Some dealers, as we know, are more aggressive than others. The dealers also have a dealer only access site that shows who has what inventory and who has inventory available to be obtained by another dealer. I think the discounts being discussed here are for 2013 only and may be something that the dealers informally decided to do as a group. If someone has some proof that it is something else, please post it.
It is formal money from Dodge to offset any poyential loss on the Viper Some dealers may apply the money to the purchase price to move car from floorplan while other may not .It all depends how badly the ind dealer wants to move the car .As i prev posted this is a direct result of the dealers moaning to Chrysler (ZONE REPS )that they are taking LARGE HITS often selling Vipers way under cost Inturn if they are committed to Viper floorplan they will not order FUTURE DODGE PRODUCTS

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Gen V Viper is not a Dodge product. It was sold to the dealers by SRT not Dodge.

It is formal money from Dodge to offset any poyential loss on the Viper Some dealers may apply the money to the purchase price to move car from floorplan while other may not .It all depends how badly the ind dealer wants to move the car .As i prev posted this is a direct result of the dealers moaning to Chrysler (ZONE REPS )that they are taking LARGE HITS often selling Vipers way under cost Inturn if they are committed to Viper floorplan they will not order FUTURE DODGE PRODUCTS

OP
OP

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No no, bob - listen to him. Dodge dealers are going to refuse to buy more dodge products!

Makes total sense!
No every one listen to you Lets see you PAID near sticker for your car a few months ago That car AS SOON AS DEALERS START APPLYING THIS 10 K OFF is now worth approx 50% of what you paid in less than a year .You know your Vipers

kdaviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If lazy, price-gouging, dealers quit ordering Vipers... then Vipers will be easier to obtain by those dealers who are doing work. If the dealers REALLY wanted to sell the cars, they'd take a page out of Woodhouse', Tomball's, etc. books and support the VCA, VCA, etc.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What might be the case is that Dodge is providing some Dealer Money to dealers to clear out 2013 product on an unrestricted basis and that the dealer(s) itself or themselves, where they have 2013 Viper inventory, have decided to use some of that money to clear out 2013 Vipers. Don't forget, there are probably quite a few 2013 and 2014 new Challengers and Chargers still sitting around and with the announcement of the changes to both made at the New York auto show it is far more likely that the Dealer Cash is primarily to move those products not for 275 SRT brand 2013 Vipers left over at various dealers. Orders for 2015 Dodge products are made through Dodge - not SRT. The Dodge products are the high volume cash flow producers of the dealerships along with Jeep products and RAM products and, hopefully, some of the Chrysler products. Viper is a drop in the bucket.

The money is there who cares which Chrysler entity provided it

Last edited:

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe the mistake dealers made was to order a high msrp Viper thinking it will sell itself. Viper owners are a very picky group and when I ordered my '13 GTS I wanted a very Specific car. I don't care if I get 20K off sticker, if it doesn't have the options/color I want , I am Not buying!

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Gen V Viper is not a Dodge product. It was sold to the dealers by SRT not Dodge.
Have you looked at dealers websites? All Chrysler dealers list Viper as SRT Viper under Dodge brand, together with Chargers and RAM pick up trucks.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's because it was too expensive to change the program and, as you may recall, SRT's change to a brand was somewhat sudden and just before the order book opened on the Viper. The Viper is an exclusive product of the SRT brand. The fact that a separate SRT brand category was not created on the dealer website programming ( they all use the same program) was/is unfortunate but it does not change the fact that the Viper is within SRT's budget not Dodge's. If anyone has data showing that some part of Viper is within the Dodge Brand budget, please post. Based on my research and fact checking, it is not. I would guess that even if Dodge is performing certain functions vis a vie the Viper that the SRT Brand is charged for same internally so that the Viper program costs are kept on an accurate basis by the bean counters.

Have you looked at dealers websites? All Chrysler dealers list Viper as SRT Viper under Dodge brand, together with Chargers and RAM pick up trucks.

Last edited:

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's because it was too expensive to change the program and, as you may recall, SRT's change to a brand was somewhat sudden and just before the order book opened on the Viper. The Viper is an exclusive product of the SRT brand. The fact that a separate SRT brand category was not created on the dealer website programming ( they all use the same program) was/is unfortunate but it does not change the fact that the Viper is within SRT's budget not Dodge's. If anyone has data showing that some part of Viper is within the Dodge Brand budget, please post. Based on my research and fact checking, it is not. I would guess that even if Dodge is performing certain functions vis a vie the Viper that the SRT Brand is charged for same internally so that the Viper program costs are kept on an accurate basis by the bean counters.
I seriously doubt that the cost of creating another entry on a website is the reason for Viper still being branded as a Dodge. I suspect that the reason is that there are other Dodge cars using SRT designation and separating them from their regular original model which could limit the buyer pool. Setting any financial arrangements aside, the reality is there is no SRT brand, it is still Dodge and SRT Viper as one of its models. BTW, the SRT Viper designation is another marketing failure. Dodge SRT Viper implies that there is also a non SRT Dodge Viper. I hate to break it to you but outside of a small circle of Viper enthusiasts, there is absolutely nobody who perceives SRT as a brand or recognizes it as such.

Bruce H.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't for the life of me understand how anyone can think that the Viper is over-priced...even at MSRP. Those who were actually looking for a brand new top level high performance car, wanted something exclusive, and had $100g or more ready to spend, considered all their options, and those that chose the Viper considered it the best choice for their needs. Some of us considered it our only choice, and simply wouldn't have bought anything had it not been available. This wasn't a hypothetical decision for us, we knew what each car offered that competed for our dollars, and we generally knew what the Z06 was going to be all about that some think will be more appealing in one way or another.

Those who have bought have been thrilled with the Gen V, and it has exceeded their expectations. Many of those who thought it wasn't enough of a change or improvement from previous Vipers, or wasn't enough or didn't offer this or that, drove one and then had to buy it...and it was never even the car of their dreams! Many originally thought it was too expensive, and not worth all the extra money over their existing beautiful Viper...until they saw or drove one. Some couldn't afford or weren't willing to pay MSRP, or MSRP + market adjustment, knew prices would drop after the launch as dealers became more flexible with price. That happened, as it always does with a new model, and many of those serious buyers pulled the trigger and are enjoying owning their new cars even if they've hardly been able to drive them over the brutal winter.

So who exactly is left that wanted one, was a qualified buyer, but hasn't bought yet? I think it's safe to say that most of those who chose the Viper as the best choice for them in the $100g plus range has bought one already at an ever increasingly attractive price, and many of those who couldn't afford one at anywhere near MSRP have as well. That only leaves those who don't yet know they want the car, and only greater awareness and butts in seats will address that...with the price obstacle having being fully addressed at this point.

There are also a few who may want one, and may be able to afford one, that are put off by the dealer experience, or the fear of a poor dealer experience during or after sale. I realized that all of the prospective cars of this type come with various issues related to servicing, whether it be local availability, quality of service, turn around time, cost, etc. I got a couple of service recommendations from local members, phoned around and made my deal. I can't see anyone being foolish enough to not buy the car they truly want because of a poor showroom experience, but I can see an unreasonably low offer preventing it. Maybe seeing the discounts some desperate dealers have given to sell a specific car has led many to believe you can buy any car from any dealer at a huge discount. Not true, and I don't recall hearing about huge discounts from the top Viper dealerships, and I'm sure they are still selling their Vipers.

Buy your new Viper at a discount if you can find the one you want, but selection is dwindling, and big discounts will disappear along with those cars. New and used prices will return to where they should be, and 3 years from now it won't matter that some were sold new at a large discount.

kdaviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I seriously doubt that the cost of creating another entry on a website is the reason for Viper still being branded as a Dodge. I suspect that the reason is that there are other Dodge cars using SRT designation and separating them from their regular original model which could limit the buyer pool. Setting any financial arrangements aside, the reality is there is no SRT brand, it is still Dodge and SRT Viper as one of its models. BTW, the SRT Viper designation is another marketing failure. Dodge SRT Viper implies that there is also a non SRT Dodge Viper. I hate to break it to you but outside of a small circle of Viper enthusiasts, there is absolutely nobody who perceives SRT as a brand or recognizes it as such.

Percieved or not, SRT is a brand and is responsable for its own financial success or failure. Hence why Charger, Challenger, 300, and GC prices from SRT have increased dramatically... lower sales volume, but higher margins per vehicle. According to Ralph Gilles, CAFE has something to do with limiting volume as well.

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Percieved or not, SRT is a brand and is responsable for its own financial success or failure. Hence why Charger, Challenger, 300, and GC prices from SRT have increased dramatically... lower sales volume, but higher margins per vehicle. According to Ralph Gilles, CAFE has something to do with limiting volume as well.
If CAFE is the reason to limit production volume, then Viper would be considerably better off as a Dodge. There is already a pretty serious handicap consisting of 2600 worth of gas guzzler tax and 1995 worth of delivery charges. Disbanding SRT seems like a very sound business decision.

Oh and perception is 95% of reality, as unfortunately all too well demonstrated by the latest Viper.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don' care who does what to whom...all I see is the super positive (for potential Viper buyers) is that there is now $5,000-$10,000 in additional trunk money on these cars in stock. Hope every body appreciates the information provided by 1BADGTS. This awareness can be very helpful with pricing strategy when visiting your local dealership or on line. (1BADGTS, please stop gloating, it puts you in a bad light)

It is a shame that it degraded into a personality contest, where posters seem to need to win some sort of argument, but never the less...these cars are now on sale, and people should consider getting them while the getting is good.

These prices make the Vipers a compelling financial purchase. Brand new cars for the price of used ones might be difficult to pass up.

Nobody should care about what someone else paid in the past, but jump at the opportunity that is in front of them today.

I am sure that the limited dealer stock will be picked over pretty quickly, and that those who wait for the ever elusive better deal may need to settle for less than their first (or second) choice.

Think we are going to see lots of smiling new owners out on the road pretty soon.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did more fact checking today. 1BADGTS is correct with some clarifications.

1. The Dealer Cash was for 2013 Vipers only.

2. It was 7.5 K for the SRT variant not 5K.

3. There was a prior program that gave an extra 3% to the dealers who had the 2013 First Edition in their inventory that lasted three months.

3. The dealers have already received the money based on their 2013 inventory.

4. To my surprise, the money came from the Dodge Brand.

5. The phones are ringing at dealerships so you better get your 2013 while the getting is good.

My apology to 1BADGTS.

Bruce H.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Isn't the dealer incentive from SRT just for one car, not every Viper in stock? The theory is he may apply that money to help move one car, but once he's done that there's no incentive to apply to his other cars. Does this necessarily mean he'll actually lower the price of that first Viper sale further by the incentive amount, or will he just pocket the incentive dollars when he sells it at the reduced price he had been holding firm at? And he may choose to use it on his most expensive GTS rather than another lower priced car. And once he's applied the incentive then it's gone, and not available for other cars.

My thinking is that telling buyers that they should be able to now negotiate a $7500 lower price on any Viper they've been trying to buy may not fly, and create unrealistic discount expectations. That will not help sales. If I'm wrong about how that works then please let me know. If SRT wanted all buyers to think they could get an extra $7500 off any Viper they'd do it as a retail rebate incentive, not a hidden dealer incentive.

Bruce

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They got the amounts above for each 2013 they had in inventory.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62