Dealers can dream too!

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We should all start charging that for our vipers and quit selling them so cheap.

Just like most things in life... Easier said than done. If someone needs to sell their Viper now they just have to take what a willing party will pay. Simple economics. The seller's do not set the final price, they only ask a price. This is not a monopoly where you can set your price and people have to pay. A Viper is also not a "necessity" and so people will not buy at too high of a price in uncertain economic times. If all Viper owners who are selling now got together and raised the prices $10,000 the cars would sit unsold. It's called the free market system.

I'm one of the guys who sold his 16K mile 98 GTS for only $33K. That is what the market is willing to pay right now. If I want one just like it in 15 years I may have to pay $50,000 or more, and if I have the money and am willing to pay that I would and feel fine about it. Why? I understand the "time value of money" and how our economic system works. Sure, I could have asked $38,000 for it, but it may have never sold or taken a long time to sell. Sure, I could have kept it and driven it 100 miles a year and tried to sell it in 15 years, but there is no guarantee that it would be worth any more in the future than it is now (adding in the time value of money). It is what it is.

There is no guarantee that the same dramatic price increases that happened to the late 60's and 70's Mopars will happen to the Viper in 20 or more years. I am betting that it does not for a myriad of reasons. Maybe not because the car will not be desired, but maybe because the wealth in this country will continue to diminish or become stagnant and there will be fewer buyers. Nobody knows for sure, but I do not blame anyone for selling their car for market value if they need to sell it. Sorry for the disertation... I'm a lot better in a classroom setting with my formulas, supply and demand curves, and whatever else comes to mind. :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ar Tee Ten