Dealership suggested NOT getting headers...

TOOOFST

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Staying with stock tires?I've been thinking about headers,exhaust,Gear,flywheel,expensive mods.bla bla bla.What are you going to do with it!Look at my post last week"drag day"I was the most consistant and 2nd fastest out of 40+- cars.13.34@115mph,only car faster for 1 run only was [email protected] ran between 13.34 and 13.46 all day until I experimented in the wrong direction,and last 3 passes ran 50-60's.By watching my own video and a hands on do it yourself mod.I'll run 20's next time all day.All this with K&N/Smooth tubes,Snake oyl rear sub.exhaust about $500(for looks and sound only).I'm trying to get 10 guys who want to see their car run and I'll make some copies.Thank god no corvette's invited,Some of these guys would be not happy.Money needs to be spent on better tires and learning to drive.Don't put the cart before the snake.99 R/T

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll second everything Jon B said -- find a different dealer, and get Belanger headers / exhaust and a pair of high-flow cats. You'll also want a MOPAR ECU to avoid the check engine light, and K&Ns and smooth tubes. With those mods, my yellow '01 RT/10 went from 408 RWHP / 442 RW ft/lbs to 438 RWHP / 485 ft/lbs.

Ben's Viper Mods

BWoodbury

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with JonB, first find another dealer.

But I also agree with Mr TOOFAST. Take a look below at the mods I have and what they have done for my car. Headers will add horsepower, but they also add heat and a much louder exhaust note. And personally I have a hard time with $2500 to $3000 for a set of headers...

If you do with headers, take Ben's advice and add high flow cats. You might even want the cats without the headers. They will add a little HP and have the excellent side effect of LESS heat in the side sills.

OP
OP
T

TOOOFST

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Chuck,had to work a double bubble yesterday,Yea 12's,thats my final answer.2 weeks it'll be 11's with 385rwhp.Full warrenty!
Hey there "Treynor"Please post 1/4mi. times so we can see the positive results.

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 1/4 mile history:

1st time at dragstrip, mods = K&Ns + tubes + Belanger headers / catback; best was 12.4 @ 116.9

2nd time at dragstrip, mods = above + MOPAR ECU + 3" high-flow cats; first run was 12.38 @ 117.4. Starting with 2nd run I changed shifting technique (shift much more quickly, even 1-2, deal with wheelspin) and my times improved to 12.05 @ 120.0 and 12.08 @ 120.04. All these times are with stock tires and 2.05 - 2.07 sec 60'

My two 120mph runs (and other videos from that day's races)

Going again tonight, still same mods except new spark plugs, 10mm Magnecor plug wires, and Fluidyne radiator. It's much hotter now than last time I went, which will help traction and 60' and probably hurt mph. Will post results.

YellowSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the input! I knew I could count on some good advice from friendly Viper owners on the VCA.

"Fred(DrivingSchool)Kinder" - As far as why I want more HP without even ever driving a Viper, the reason is I know people with Vipers (and two guys with supra's) who I will be racing. I am very competitive and thought the increase HP could give me an advantage. I have not gone to a driving school, but plan on going in the future.

A lot of you made great suggestions, and I appreciate the response. I will start doing some more in depth research as time allows.

Does anyone know any reputable dealerships/shops (in the NW suburbs of Chicago) that could do the install?

Reaction score
The Chicago Club has a lot of great members who like open track and autocross events. Skip Barber offeres VCA members a discount 25% for the 2 day performance driving school. That is a very nice discount. All other programs are discounted 10%. Good luck with the Supra's. If you take as many driving schools as possible, do autocross as much as possible and open track practice you will smoke the **** Rockets.

YellowSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went into the Dodge dealership and talked to the service department about the cost for installing K&N’s, Smooth tubes, Borla cat back, and Borla headers. They recommended not putting on the headers because they said it “is a mess.” They said that for the money there is no significant horsepower gain and they say you can have serious problems. In addition they said I would need different cats and that it is more of a pain than it is worth. I am looking for increased horsepower (without juice). But I don’t want to sacrifice the reliability/working order of the car.

Do any members agree/disagree with the dealership suggesting not putting in headers?

Does anyone have other suggestions for reasonable priced/safe HP gains?

Reaction score
First go to your region's VCA membership to find a dealership with a service shop that can provide a good installation. Or go to a recommended shop that works on Vipers. Why do you want more HP? How many driving schools and open track events, Viper Day's, etc have you participated? The stock Viper has great performance, and if its drived is very good, he will out perform a much higher HP Viper on a road course driven by me or 99% of the Viper owners.

A dealership that says it can not be done, can not do it!

Mike H

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the Belanger setup, headers and cat back, was an easy install, and the horsepower definitely increased. Headers make the engine breathe better as the exhaust exits the engine faster.The sound is great yet not real noisy at cruising speed. Call Tom Welch, BTR Viper, he is an advertiser on the board, you won't be disappointed.

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The shift points question has been one of some considerable debate here. I've tried shifting at 5,500 and 5,900, and my times are better when I shift at 5,900. My 12.05 and 12.08 runs were both accomplished using the higher shift point. The other key is to shift *quickly*, especially 1-2, to minimize the amount of time you're spending not accelerating.