Diff Fluid and Tranny Fluid Recommendation Please?

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a 94' and am planning to change the diff/tranny fluids and wanted to know the best type of each. I did a search both here and the alley and didn't find what I was looking for and what I did find only confused me b/c of the debating.

According to my service manual the tranny uses Dexron IIE and the differential fluid calls for Mopar Synthetic Axle Lube SAE 75 W/140 (MS-8985) are these still correct or is there "newer technology" stuff I should be using.

Thanks for any help. :)

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Moper'e Dexron II-e & III (both red) have been replaced by Mopar's ATF+4 in the tranny. If you are bothered by NGR (Neutral Gear Rattle) now or after you add ATF+4 (red)...you can consider Mopar Synthetic Manual Transmission Lubricant 75W-85 (a clear fluid... rebranded Castrol Syntroq 75W-85) as covered in the May 1998 TSB for NGR.You are correct on the diff fluid...but do not forget to add the 4 ounces of Mopar Limited Slip Additive 04318060 AB.

OP
OP
C

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Steve, thanks, is there a non-oem brand people generally use instead of Mopar (i.e. castrol, valvoline, pensoil, mobil 1, etc.etc.)?

Grisoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are correct on the diff fluid...but do not forget to add the 4 ounces of Mopar Limited Slip Additive 04318060 AB.
What is the additive ratio? I've looked through the service manual and can't seem to find the diff capacity. I'm doing a top off, so I need to premix the slip additive.

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Timely thread. I'll be doing my '94 in a month or two...

I need to do all the fluids this winter.