Diff Gears

shelbynut

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey all,

Since I rarely get the opportunity to go 160+ mile per hour, I am thinking about sacrificing some of that top end for some seat of the pants pull. After driving my Viper for the past 2 months, still amazed at how looooog the gears are..man, the thing will do well over 100mph in 3rd gear! It comes out of the hole pretty good, but I would like it if it launched a little harder.

Thinking about change the rear end gearing to something around 3.55...anyone have a set they are willing to part with? Anyone have any feedback on the overall performance "feel" with the gear change?

As always, input is appreciated!

Jay

GotAViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have 3.55 gears and it drives great. Although i purchased it with these gears so i cant compare.

You top out i think a little below 100mph in third.

GotAViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have 3.55 gears and it drives great. Although i purchased it with these gears so i cant compare.

actually i just floored it on the way home. 3rd gear tops out at like 85-90 mph with 3.55 gears.

BLWNV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
3:55 Dana gears with all bearings, straps, and shims. Everything needed for a complete rebuild. $499.95
Speedo calibration $129.95
Will take care of the rebuild for an additional $450.00.
All Brand New
Alan

obaa996

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What's so different about a Viper's D44 vs. any other rear end that causes the gear changes to cost so much? I know that it's a "Super" Dana 44 vs. a regular Dana 44, but still. I had the D44 in my Jeep regeared for ~$500; $250 for the parts (Dana/Spicer), and $250 for labor. The shop that did the work is a very reputable 4x4 shop; they do a large number of regearing jobs. Why isn't the Viper stuff in this range?

mntngts99

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

actually i just floored it on the way home. 3rd gear tops out at like 85-90 mph with 3.55 gears.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have 3.55 and can do 100 mph in the 1/8 and have not hit 4th