Differences in drving Gen3 to Gen4

pathoguy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Come from a Gen2, now have a Gen3, starting to consider a Gen4. Look so similar, but what's the difference under the skin. Have driving characteristics changed that much? I know there's a significant hp bump, but not interested in going faster or street/other racing. Realistically all another 100hp means to me is a longer walk out of the woods. Any Gen4 owners regret going from Gen3 to Gen4?

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't own a IV but have driven one. The driving experience for me was that, it is a better version of the car, feels a little more refined (if you can call it that), but not enough of a difference for me to take a loss on my gen III to trade up to a more expensive version of the basically same car. The gen IV is more power (up top), and has a more robust drivetrain, -but that stuff I can achieve with the gen III with mods. One point to note, the gen IV has a smoother idle (which I don't like), but that would make it seem more 'civilized' for you as a street driven car. When you get the tach above 4000 though, the car becomes a rocket. ....I for one, did not like the feel of the drive by wire throttle either. But the car I drove was an '08, They say the later cars are are little more responsive. ----here is the obvious difference, the gen IV is newer.

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can look up alll the changes between the two, basically more HP/TRQ, improved trans, rear end, and clutch, tires maybe a few more?

As for driving; clutch is different, lighter and engages differently, some people stall it when they first drive it.

Shifter linkage travel is reduced, (much closer to what a B&M kit feels like), I swapped to a shorter shifter and this is the first viper I've owned that I didn't change out the shift linkage.

Drive by wire, you'll feel a delay in the throttle engagement vs. other Gen's. I added the mopar ecu but there is still some lag compared to older Gen's

Tires, the non-run flat PS-2's ride and handle better (hopefully you upgraded your run-flats so you know what the difference feels like).

Motor, the Gen IV's make more power but later in the rpm band, you feel the cam-in-cam coming on around 3500 RPM, vs. older Gen's that have a flatter more linear power band.

I'm real happy about the Gen IV, would think the only people that would have a regret would be due to either, the cost differentail or the fact that you can't add a supercharger or twin turbo. Good luck, Mike

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gen IV Viper is like a Gen III that has just spent a week at your favorite tuner.

The new hood looks better, and cools better while reducing front end lift. The engine heat that used to come into your side window no longer happens.

The drive line has been enhanced. The shifting is smoother and the rear diff works much better coming out of corners, and it as well as the rest of the drive line has been beefed up to enhance reliability.

The engine feels the same as a Gen III until about 3,500 RPM then it comes alive with a rush. Instead of short shifting to keep in the power band, you can wind it out. Less need to shift in the middle of corners. On the track it rockets out of the corners and gives you passing power on the straights. (If you wish it to feel like a Gen III you can just short shift)

The tires are a big step up from the previous run flats. They ride smoother, quieter and are more predictable at the limits.

The new dual clutch shaves a bunch of pounds off the driveline. Allows the engine to rev quicker, but you need to slip the clutch just a bit when starting out. (Less flywheel effect)

The Viper engineers went back over the Viper, tightened and toughened it up.

For Gen III owners you can get many of the same enhancements from a tuner, but it most likely will cost more than simply trading up.

With the Gen V soon to appear some feel that the Gen IV Viper will be the most developed, and most desirable Viper that stays true to the original Shelby inspirationl

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi