Enthusiast
Reaction score
Diffuser\'s

Can someone tell me who makes/sells a rear diffuser for the Viper? Thanks

Afy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Diffuser\'s

What is a diffuser... evidently I know little about mechanical things..
smile.gif
smile.gif

Bob K

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I know that John Hennessey sells a diffuser as part of his Venom body package. Don't know if you can get it separately or if it will fit the stock body. Also check with Partsrack - they claim to sell anything/everything Viper related. I've considered this mod as well but haven't pursued it. Good luck.
Bob K

OP
OP
R

Richard K

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks guys. Autoform doesn't show one on their site (by the way I also have their GTS chin splitter... beautiful!). SVSI has one but it's part of a full rear end assembly and pretty big. I wonder if besides adding some downforce a diffuser would eliminate that pesky dust that always collects on my rear end?
smile.gif

Tom Friend

Enthusiast
Reaction score

From what I know of diffusers, they will increase the amount of dust that the back of your car picks up, since they increase the vacuum effect aft of the rear axles.

While they look spiffy, I would be more interested in filling in the big hole left in my stern after I do the side-pipe conversion.

Richard K- If you are allowing the dust to catch up to you, then you are (obviously) not going fast enough. ;-)

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

A rear diffuser would manage the airflow exiting from under the car body to act like a venturi and with the right configuration, try to **** the rear end down. Usually only works with very low ground clearance and/or skirts, but the benefits are that unlike a wing, there is essentially no drag, only downforce.

OP
OP
R

Richard K

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Tom(Friend), thanks for the tip on preventing that dust... I knew I must not be driving as fast as I should have been!

Also, if your planning on plugging that blow-hole in your rear end (moderators, this is not profanity) after the exhaust conversion, you may want to check with Hennessey. I think I recall seeing a polished cover plate that he used on his latest twin turbo creation... looked sharp, but it was probably a one of a kind he made up just for this monster. Anyway, he might be able to help.

Guyver1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Well, here's a pic showing the side of the diffuser on the 91 Oreca Viper. (For the peeps who have no idea what a diffuser looks like)

You must be registered for see images

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

AutoForm has a rear diffuser {PartsRack is a proud AutoForm Distributor} that fits a rear or side exhaust. The Woodhouse racer and Katz Daytona cars have em! {way under $700 - call me)

Dumb Idea?:
The rear valance (lower bumper cover?) of a late model Dodge StealthTT and a Mitsu-3000GT-VR4 has a nice diffuser-like plastic panel. Has several "ridges" that look the part.

I think the Dodge Avenger had the same doo-dad. Certainly more cosmetic than functional.

dtittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hey Guys,

A diffuser is an device that's intended to 'channel' air smoothly and swiftly beneath the car. It fits into the concept of making you car behave much like an upside down wing in order to get downforce and reduce drag.

It's obvious due to the dirt that collects on the rear bumber that the Viper has a huge vortex of air at the rear of the car. Some claim that vortex extends as far as 23" beyond the rear inducing major aerodynamic drag.

On a Viper a well desinged diffuser probably adds a couple of hundred pounds of downforce and reduces the overall drag. A poor design probably only adds weight.

Some also claim that a diffuser can enhance HP and TQ of a motor that has rear exhaust openings that placed correctly as the high flow air stream is supposed to act like a vacuum for your engine. I dunno!

War Buttmunchers with low rear aerodynamic drag! BBBBRRRRRTTTT!

<FONT COLOR="#ff0000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by dtittle on 08-03-2001 at 01:21 PM</font>