Discolored Rear Calipers

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The rear calipers on my ACR are turning brown. It is not dirt, the paint is changing color. I've had them replaced once under warranty for the same issue but now Chrysler refuses to replace them again. I assume the issue is excess heat in the brakes. I have the titanium backing plates but my guess is there is just not enough air flow. Anyone else have this problem? If yes, what did you do to solve it?

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you use the same compound pads on the back as the front? Using Motul 650? Most use a pad with less bite on the rear. Its normal, however, for calipers to change color if you track your car and brake hard. Just repaint them...

pony23

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would have them powder coated. It's a way better coating than paint. That will hold up to the heat.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am on my second set of calipers for this reason.

Mine turned brown in the front though.

Now these are turning slightly brown.

I am just going to drive mine like that...........

My bigger issue is how the paint on the car is being destroyed by the Hoosiers throwing sand at it.

NO HEMI

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Usually the heat " cooks" the clear coat, that happened to the fromt ones on my Viper and on my Evo, you just sand the clear coat down, put new letters and clearcoat it again , they sell the paint in amazon( any color you like ), and the clearcoat too, it can be done in an afternoon.

OP
OP
V

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am using slightly different compounds front to rear. Rear is a little less aggressive but not much. I use Raybestos pads. I've tried going softer in the rear but really didn't like the braking. I'm going to put on blue calipers to match my paint scheme. I believe they are powder coated. I was also thinking about using some of those Porsche air deflectors in the rear. They are already on the front.

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Sounds like you overheated the rear brakes. This is common with track cars. Have them powder coated a darker red, that seems to do the trick.

OP
OP
V

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like you overheated the rear brakes. This is common with track cars. Have them powder coated a darker red, that seems to do the trick.

Dan, have you ever tried getting more airflow to the rear brakes? I was wondering if those Porsche air deflectors sold by that place you can't mention here would work? He thinks they would but hasn't tried it.

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have you tried PFC-1 in front and Brakeman-3 in rear? I have 12k track miles on my ACR and put 35k on my GTS and original calipers. Just slightly discolored.

OP
OP
V

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have you tried PFC-1 in front and Brakeman-3 in rear? I have 12k track miles on my ACR and put 35k on my GTS and original calipers. Just slightly discolored.

I have used PFC-1s before on another car and I really liked the way they stopped but found they ate rotors pretty quickly. I've used Brakeman's before as well but never liked them. However, I've never tried the combo you suggested. I think I may have those pads at home so maybe I'll try them again.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper