Discussion on Cams lately

Martin D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seems like there has been quite a bit of talk about cam specs....

If anyone is interested, I still have the stock Cam from my 98. I am willing to part with it.

Regards,

HouseofSpeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Gen 2 will fit the Gen 1, but why?

If one were going to make the effort to install a "new" cam...why use a stocker of any vintage? Too much overlap and marginal lobes...seems like a waste of cash and energy.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HouseofSpeed:
The Gen 2 will fit the Gen 1, but why?

If one were going to make the effort to install a "new" cam...why use a stocker of any vintage? Too much overlap and marginal lobes...seems like a waste of cash and energy.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

"Too much overlap?" That's what gives it the rough ride, which we like!!!
smile.gif

How much does a new aftermarket cam for a Viper cost? If you could get a barely used stock one for free then that's not a bad idea.

My question is why is the cam swap being done? Maybe you have a newer Viper and want the rough idle of the earlier Viper? Or you're doing a complete engine rebuild.

OP
OP
M

Martin D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good Morning!

I got to the office this AM and had several emails about the Cam.
BLS actually responded first. I had no idea this would generate so much interest.

So BLS, the cam will be on it's way by Monday. I will call you today.

Also, I think Kyle makes a pretty good point, that it is quite a bit of work to install a Stock Cam. I would take Treynor's direction and also get some headwork while you are in there. Also - extrude hone that intake!

Regards,

HouseofSpeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck...its not the overlap that gives the idle quality....I can change the LSA and make a cam with neg overlap lope. 60+ degrees of overlap over-scavenges the cylinder and contaminates the incoming intake charge....which all equal lost power.

Overlap and LSA are not the same.

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yah, as long as you're giving away stock parts, do you still have your stock forged pistons? Those could come in handy if I have *ahem* an overzealous NOS night...

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HouseofSpeed:
Chuck...its not the overlap that gives the idle quality....I can change the LSA and make a cam with neg overlap lope. 60+ degrees of overlap over-scavenges the cylinder and contaminates the incoming intake charge....which all equal lost power.

Overlap and LSA are not the same.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not disagreeing with you Kyle, but what DOES give it the rough idle and what is LSA?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte