Do Slotted Sill plates work?

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The ones from PartsRack ABSOLUTELY work.... (lower delivered price than fleabay) can ship tomorrow. Thank You

Last edited:

All Blue ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score

99VPRGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Eh, I got the max heat removal mod....I don't have anything but I evacuate more heat I can promise you that!!!!!...and I saved over $100:lmao:

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the louvered ones from Parts Rack. The exterior shape was a little off from the actual shape of the sill area, but once you find the sweet mounting spot they fit just fine.

You can see in the first pic how the shape is different than the car. Seems like that would have been easy to get better, but like I said, they do fit well once you get them tweaked.

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

AHudson777

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm sure - and I mean POSITIVE - that Big Dave and JonB's are superior to what I did, but I actually like 'crafting' things. Bought two stainless louvered vents from my local (now closed) West Marine store.

Perfectly sized vent area, but requiring cuts to accomodate inner fender and voila! Louvered sill plates.

The louvers are tighter, pointed down, and after a recent sill removal, I have about the same amount of sand and debris as I had when I first removed sills for the install. Again, mine took some fabbing - the others would require very little.

And yes, no doubt, they DO INDEED drop the temps.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Thankx D6666

we do have BOTH varuieties now, a while back we only had the ones as Dave shows.

"Leaves and other scorchables-Combustables" can enter the sill with the grid-style....

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon, do you mean grid style like the ones DC Performance offers? DC Performance: Proven Performance or the SpeedTactics slotted ones? I found an easy solution to blocking combustibles from entering the larger vents by tacking on screen mesh behind the vents.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
YEP! That hardware-cloth works great...... screen-mesh blocks too much air. You would be AMAZED at how much grid-type screen blocks air flow. Even the 08-9 Hood Grills (6) block a LOT of airflow. Remove hood grills, run cooler.

Another benefit of ANY of these vents is that they faciliate convection when the car is stationary. The heat-soak is minimized because with VENTS, then BOTH ends of the sill are open to air-circulation from the hot-fronts to cool-rears.

Bugeater

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are trying to alleviate the heat issue, why not use header wrap? DEI (and probably others) make a titanium wrap that refects 1,800 - 2,000 degrees. New product, and supposedly better than the existing products. I believe you can get 2 50' rolls for under 100 bucks. No holes/slots for crap to get in (and burn), and keeping the heat contained in the pipe is supposedly better for the engine (scavenging concepts I'm not going to pretend I understand).