Dodge Viper goes off road on way to Arivaca (Arizona)

ViperCollector

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Original Source

The driver of a Dodge Viper sports car was injured Sunday when he missed a curve on Arivaca Road and landed in a mesquite tree, according to Green Valley Fire District officials.
The man suffered two badly fractured legs and it took about two hours to cut him out of the car. The car went off the road just after noon at milepost 4, just north of Arivaca. The driver, who was the lone occupant, was flown to a hospital with non-life threatening injuries.

There was no information available on how the crash happened. Arivaca Road from I-19 to the community of Arivaca is a popular 23-mile drive with gently rolling hills and a curving road that is generally in good condition.

The Dodge Viper has a V10 engine and is designed to go well over 150 mph. A new one starts in about the $90,000 range.

pure zen

Viper Owner
Reaction score
In southern AZ, it was probably Javelina. Elk for northern AZ. Hopefully, it was no one I know; but best wishes to him or her for a full recovery. That sure sounded like a bad accident.

I've driven that road a few times,,,,,not so challenging and filled with Border Patrol vehicles watching for illegal aliens crossing the border near Sasabe, Az. This is also the area where the Mexican drug runners bring across their loads to advance northward to the metro cities.......................maybe the Viper crash driver was avoiding the drug runners carrying loads of **** on their backs?

Two hours to cut the driver out of the Viper? Sounds like a very bad situation,,,,,non-life threatening injuries was the good news......the Viper, not so much.

Last edited:

ZYellow01RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike, does anybody know if he is a member on here.

Yes, he is a member....Jeff Binder (VPRBITE). A great guy who's been on many cruises with us in the AZ VCA.

I will try to find out more about him...OMG...

ZYellow01RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey everyone - just got off the phone with Jeff. He's still in the hospital and will be undergoing further surgeries on his leg. Looks like he broke his left leg in three places and they are trying to save his left foot. He sounded like he was in pretty good spirits, under the circumstances.

He asked that I communicate to everyone that he appreciates everyone's support so far, and that he's hanging in there.

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well that's a positive considering what the situation "could" be right now.
Hopefully with all the prayers they'll save the foot and fix up the leg.
Thanks for the update

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey everyone - just got off the phone with Jeff. He's still in the hospital and will be undergoing further surgeries on his leg. Looks like he broke his left leg in three places and they are trying to save his left foot. He sounded like he was in pretty good spirits, under the circumstances.

He asked that I communicate to everyone that he appreciates everyone's support so far, and that he's hanging in there.
Thanks for the Update Z, did Jeff say anything about what happened.

ZYellow01RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the Update Z, did Jeff say anything about what happened.

Hey Matt,

Jeff told me that he was trying to avoid a van that had crossed the centerline, and he lost control. Apparently that patch of road has some sandy spots, so that didn't help either. He was going around 70 at the time. Thank God he didn't hit the other vehicle. Let's wish him all the best...this whole thing isn't over by a long shot.

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Matt,

Jeff told me that he was trying to avoid a van that had crossed the centerline, and he lost control. Apparently that patch of road has some sandy spots, so that didn't help either. He was going around 70 at the time. Thank God he didn't hit the other vehicle. Let's wish him all the best...this whole thing isn't over by a long shot.
Thanks Z, next time you talk to him tell him we ALL wish him the best & we've got him in our prayers!

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great news the Driver is Alive, looked at the photo of the car on the other thread :omg:

Best wishes for a speedy recovery :1up: Those dam Deer get everywhere ;)

ZYellow01RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone know how he is now a couple of weeks later?

I will try to call him tomorrow to find out the latest. Last I heard was that the doctors were planning additional surgeries but will try to find out more tomorrow.

ZYellow01RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hope Jeff doesn't mind that I am posting an email that he just sent out today:

i am doing this from my phone so please excuse any typos or syntax errprs on my behalf. first and formost i want to thank everyone for their support and caring through this difficult time.it means more than you know and has gone a long way towards helping me maintain a healthy attitude during these past few weeks.

as for the update on my health, well that is a bit tougher to talk about. it appears that amputation below the knee is going to be the final decision. there is blood flow to the heel but grafting tissue there requires removing a very large.section of muscle from my back and then a long 9 month recovery. this is coupled with the fact that it is a longshot at best and often times results in skin so brittle one cant even wear a shoe on it. a prosthetic seems the best way to get me back to my lifestyle as quickly as possible. i have one more consult today just to go over the options one more time but it is doubtful anything will change.
again thanks to all of you that called or emailed or stopped by or sent gifts.if u sent gifts,i havent.opened them yet because i was waiting until when i come out of surgery.that way the gifts will always be a bright spot to focus on in a day that otherwise could have some less than positive associations with it.
i will be available most of today for any of you that want to contact me. i hope you all understand how fortunate i feel to get to be part of a club filled with such wonderful and caring people. hopefully,i should be looking to purchase a new viper in the fall or winter (as soon as i can work a clutch again).i am not sure if i will go with another gts which was my dream or perhaps a gen 3/4 coupe or mayne ACR. i am sure you can all help me with that decision. Thanks again and God Bless.

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you for posting Jeff's message.

Pray that his doctors have all knowledge and wisdom needed and pray that Jeff is given peace, comfort, and strength during this time.

His surviving that crash looks like miracle...

Kala

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm sure the club will be there for you during your recovery Jeff. We wish you the best in your recovery!

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WOW! Z, Thanks for Posting. Just be sure & let Jeff know we're ALL pulling for him & will continue to keep him in our prayers. Great to hear he's already thinking ahead about WHICH Viper he's gonna get next. And it seems like he's in pretty good spirits, considering everything thats happened & the decisions still ahead of him. God Bless & Z you can pm me if there's ANYTHING I can do to help.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom R