Does anyone have "Tricks" to keep airbox "clips" on??????

MR VENOM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone have \"Tricks\" to keep airbox \"clips\" on??????

I bought some air box clips (from "Chevy"), seen part # on these threads. The air boxes seem to fit together well, however, I keep losing the same two clips....once or twice at engine start-up (find them on garage floor) and the other ones I cannot find (on the road somewhere). The little plastic "pins" that they snap into seen OK, with a definite "snap" when inserted, and they pull the box seam together tight and seem secured well. Any ideas that don't look too "hokey".....after all, I am a poser.

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Does anyone have \"Tricks\" to keep airbox \"clips\" on??????

The KN filters are a bit thicker and you have to grind out the iner lip on the air box so they are not as stressed when locked in place ...
There was a post on it a while ago..

MHQC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Does anyone have \"Tricks\" to keep airbox \"clips\" on??????

Here is the link... K & N's how to

I have mine on now for over 1000 miles. I have been checking the clip thing, but everything is o.k. I actually talked with a tech rep for K & N located in California just before I bought them. I explained the air box thing etc...and he said that that particular filter is made for the Viper, he said there should be no altering. When I measured the thickness of the KN's vs. the OEM there is a minute difference. I might even attribute it to the crimping action once the filter is closed. Or am I out to lunch and everyone has grinded their box??

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Does anyone have

No need to grind on my Gen I. I did have some clip loss early. I trapped the clips in place by melting the plastic just a little bit where the clips attach and pivot. Never lost a clip since. If you look at a later part Chrysler started doing the same thing to later air boxes.

JetMec

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Mine came back from the dealer after the Arrow engine swap with safety wire in place of the missing clips. I went and got some chevy clips and used stainless wire and screws to hold em down. I don't think it looks hokey, but others might.

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

I just had my airbox replaced by warranty. My clips broke off and I got a entire new airbox assembly

RT/ED

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Rather than grinding on the airbox, I drilled a small hole on either side where the clips attach and pivot. I installed an aluminum rivet with a aluminum rivet washer from the inside to secure the rivet. The top of the rivet covers the pivot from the outside and prevents it from popping out. Looks good and have not lost a clip since. :usa:

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I had one clip that didn't want to stay on. Since the clips have a slight curve to them, I flattened it just a little bit to give it more length while still keeping the lip to hook on the airbox. Hasn't come off since.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960