Does battery tender to cigerette lighter work on 06?

Les Quam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tried two different battery tenders and tender just blinks a red blinking light the battery never charges when I use the cigarette lighter adapter? Is this common?

SweetRed04

Viper Owner
Reaction score
On my '04 the lighter only works with the ignition on, so a tender wouldn't work through a lighter.

DavidSB

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On my '05 the lighter is wired to the ignition switch but the aux. power port inside the center console is always hot so I'd try hooking it up there. Like many others, I installed the pigtail/plug ended directly to the battery terminals and zip-tied it to the battery cables so I can reach it through the rear splitter and easily hook-up or un-hook the tender.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Does battery tender to cigarette lighter work on 06?

Call NAPA or sears and get yourself a float type battery tender. It is about 6 x 3 x 1 and comes with ring terminals on it. They are called float chargers because they vary the output voltage as needed and maintain your batteries charge even all winter. They are also safe for Gel type and AGM batteries.You can mount it with heavy duty Velcro, tie wraps, or screws to the batter box and attach the wires to the battery terminals. The 6" plug can be tucked away when you are driving and when you get home you can just reach in and hook up an extension cord.

NAPA = http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPages/NO...Battery+Charger

AMAZON = http://www.amazon.com/Decker-VEC080BD-Au...0663&sr=8-5

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Robbie that is essentially what a battery tender is.

Use the console glove box lighter plug. I use it every winter with no problem. I have found no need to mount the unit in a car (although I did on my RT/10) as I made a cigarette lighter adapter. Easy and trouble free.

OP
OP
Les Quam

Les Quam

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Seems to work in the power outlet inside the center console, but not the one outside of the console next to the E brake handle.

k4site

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The one outside is operated by the key switch for a radar detector good going dodge.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Robbie that is essentially what a battery tender is.

Use the console glove box lighter plug. I use it every winter with no problem. I have found no need to mount the unit in a car (although I did on my RT/10) as I made a cigarette lighter adapter. Easy and trouble free.

I agree with you that they are basically the same. I wanted to show everyone that there are alternative products out there that can be used on cars that have a key operated cigarette lighter that is not live when turned off.