Does "personalizing" a Viper hurt its value?

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does \"personalizing\" a Viper hurt its value?

Does personalizing you car with stuff like the following hurt the cars value?
adding custom interior
wing
18" wheels
Other "poser" stuff like logos on the sills or CF sills etc

I would like to hear from folks that are shopping for a Viper now or recently, how you would treat a stock car versus one with the above type of mods with everything else being fairly equal (mileage, condition etc).

Thanks!

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Does

Customizing your car will often hurt resale value. You will never get out what you put in. You also narrow the range or perspective buyers when you customize. Now if there is somebody who likes your choices in wheels, decals, interior trim pieces, etc., you should be fine. But if you invest say, $5,000.00 into the car, don't expect to get an additional $5,000.00 in resale value over a comparible stock car.

Advice: If you want to personalize the car.....Just do it! Don't worry about resale value. These cars are not investments!

OP
OP
V

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score

These cars are not investments!

Oh I know that!

I know mod money never comes back around, I am just wondering it the non performance mods would keep a perspective buyer away from the car as compared with a bone stock car. And I'm talking tasteful mods here too.
Thanks

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Tasteful to whom is the real question. You and I may like different things. I was ********* looking for a car that someone put all the mods "I like" into before I purchased it. Couldn't find it and would have spent forever looking for it.

I have spent some time undoing the things that the prior owner 'invested' in my car.

Have to agree with John. If you have the extra money and you would enjoy a new interior etc(remeber to keep as much of your stock parts as you can). Go for it. Owning and enjoying these cars are what it is all about.

Vipers are a lot of things but tasteful, I hope not. I wear a tie and sit up right in a board room. On the weekends, I am a raw display of American horsepower.

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Does \"personalizing\" a Viper hurt its value?

Buyers do not shy away from subtle things.... MGW shift Knobs, ZAF gauge trim rings and such.... People like hard tops too.

In general, based on what I see in the classifeds, sellers only get about 25%- 40% (sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less) of higher dollar mods like wheels, performance engine packages, etc. Wings are highly "personal choice"... some hate them, some love them.

Viper is no different from most cars as far as mods, if it is stock, the buyer knows what he's got... and won't have to undue something someone messed up. Stock cars sell much faster than modifed ones.

With all that said, do what you like and what makes you feel good when you are out enjoying your car....

Viperzilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Remster's Viper is on the extreme side of personalizing and that's an unfair example (like a one-sided study).

I don't think painting your hood pad, adding emblems to your side sills (like Jimandella) would turn away buyers. Small interior and some VERY minor exterior mods shouldn't effect resale, won't help, but may not hurt (at least only be a minor dent).

Hockeysnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Do what you want to YOUR Viper. It is yours and if you like it chances are someone else will like the wheels and wing. Just don't paint horrible graphics on it and your fine. I put some body add-ons to mine and I have had nothing but compliments. If all of us had the same Viper how boring would that be.

HEMIPOWER

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I don't think so. There are so many out there now people are wanting something a little different.

Enthusiast
Reaction score

It totally depends....

I for one would like to keep everything stock looking from the outside to keep with the "sleeper" look, save for performance mods and weight savings.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Almost without exception the stuff you are talking about will turn people away.
Vipers with wings look very rice to many folks.
Extra chrome here and there can look very JC Whitney.

If you like the stuff, buy it, don't worry about what it will do to reasale.

I like stock. I like stock with stock chrome removed. That's just me.

OP
OP
V

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'm not talking about carte blanche out of the Whitney catalog, maybe silver leather center seat inserts, and a faux cf leather shift and handbrake boot on the interior.

The wing....I have decided against it

I thought these would be subtle enough to "make it mine" kind of personalization, but not make it a pariah in the Viper world IF I ever decided to sell it (of course I would always keep any and all stock removed parts).

Of course I will do what I want to do and what I like, just wanted to see how the rest of the brethren and potential brethren felt. :)

Thanks for the input!

Fishtail

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Mine is very personalized and I enjoy it much better -- like night and day better!
I'm not really interested in keeping it nice for the next guy :confused: . I drive the heck out of mine and use it at it's best :)

-Lou

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

It totally depends....

I for one would like to keep everything stock looking from the outside to keep with the "sleeper" look, save for performance mods and weight savings.

LMAO Is there anyone out there stupid enough to fall for the "sleeper" look??
The viper is the farthest thing you can get from a "sleeper"!!!! :D
no flame intended

I say, do whatever makes you happy, it's your car!!!

(no dolphins though!) :eek:

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Viperzilla,
thanks!

common sense mods will not hurt resale, exteme might...
simple things like roe clutch link.. solid mod.
10mm magnicor wires
5 pts
B&B catback

big mods like engines , whole interiors. will make it a right buyer situation.
but again, little mods no... just a bit of value.

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I agree w/ Andrew, if you bought the car and are worried about resale, you've made the wrong investment. Of course, if a 100 years goes by,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Tiepilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score

DO what yo want but customizing will turn many buyers away. I would only buy if all stock parts are coming with the car, otherwise it gives the impression of a wreck to some.