Does this SRT appear to have spacers??

Austin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not only in the rear, but the fronts seem to be spaced out as well. I've noticed this on a few European Vipers (SRT's). I've read posts here where some of you complain about the SRT wheels and how they seem to not meet the fenders (ie; sitting further back into the wheel well). It seems as though they've used spacers here to do exactly that; make the rim/tire meet the fender line flush or just a little past. IMO it looks really good. Gives it more of an aggressive look.

You must be registered for see images attach

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
that certainly appears to. It also appears to be lowered with a very agressive alignment.

I also noticed "KW" on the stand in front, as in KW suspensions... so its no surprise that these things have been done.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
That looks killer. Spacers? How safe would that be?

*cough*
not on my car...
*cough*

If you are going to do it, do it correctly. Get wheels with a different offset.

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That looks strong, parked. I had another car once upon a time with a similar setup and the lateral through the corners was horrible. I don't understand the tech side of it, but handling changed for the not so better.

No indictment of the KW product per se.

OP
OP
A

Austin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
that certainly appears to. It also appears to be lowered with a very agressive alignment.

I also noticed "KW" on the stand in front, as in KW suspensions... so its no surprise that these things have been done.

Daniel, I didnt even notice that the sign said KW on it. Thanks for pointing that out. Im a fan of the 10 spokes, but they look even 100 times better with this configuration.

03gobluecobra

Enthusiast
Reaction score

*cough*
not on my car...
*cough*

I ran spacers on my cobra. It wasn't a problem. You need a hubcentric spacer made specifically for the car though, not just any spacer. The particularly unsafe spacers are the generic ones made to fit any car. Also, you may need longer lugs as well to make up for the extended reach. That said I'd get the correct offset wheels if I could.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Many guys run spacers. I don't care to. If you are going to run spacers, make sure they are fitted to your car and you get the correct lug nuts.

I do run Forgelines with a slightly increased off set for the track. Stance and handling are both are improved.

The increased off set does limit the amount that you can lower the car without hitting the fender lip in the rear. The front seems to be friendlier to lowering. A track alighment helps.

The car above does look aggressive, but doesn't look like it would do too well over a big bump at speed. The tires look like they'd rub.

Dan

zorroespanol

VCA Member - New England
VCA Member
Reaction score
Spacers are not always bad, I had them on my 996 porsche to get the wheels flush with the body. It looked very good!

These however are too much, you can see how the tire would rub against the fender.

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought I read that the comp coupes run spacers...??

Yes it does. We modeled the Street Serpent car based the actual Comp Coupe spacers and wheel studs.

If they work fine on a race car, I don't see why the street would be a problem.

Jeff

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score

*cough*
not on my car...
*cough*

Thats funny, there are many race cars that use spacers. And Im sure they are pushing much harder then you do on your car.

Spacers work fine, if done properly, most important is proper lug size/length.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

*cough*
not on my car...
*cough*

Thats funny, there are many race cars that use spacers. And Im sure they are pushing much harder then you do on your car.

Spacers work fine, if done properly, most important is proper lug size/length.

There is a right way and a wrong way, even if they both work. Simply, The amount of stress put on lugnuts is increased when using spacers. Even a BONE STOCK Viper twists the rear wheels with 4300 pound-feet of torque, thats a LOT. (and who leaves their car stock... really) When you start moving the load down the lug away from the hub, you are more apt to stretch and eventually break them... not to mention doubling the number of places by design that can allow the wheel to "slip" ever so slightly against the hub, which is asking for an eventual fatigue failure.

Could they be used without problems? Sure. Is there a 99% chance they wont be an issue on most cars? Sure. Is there a possibility they could eventually cause issues such as broken studs? Sure.

As I said... Not on my car. Do with it as you will... its my opinion. And you know what they say about those.....

(and I wont even go there about the ones who run spacers on OEM lug lengths)

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The World Challenge Comp Coupes use spacers front and rear, rule of thumb is you need 7 twists of thread for a safe install. I think if all is torques properly then there are minuscule safety issues

FastGuy68

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I found this old thread after doing a search for spacers. I would bet the farm that these are what is installed on the Viper in the opening post.....

H&R TRAK+® Wheel Spacers || Products || H&R Special Springs, LP

Some might think this is cheesy but race cars use them in different sizes for different track setups sometimes. Being they are made by H&R I would bet they are very high quality parts. I'm going to order a set for my 08 Coupe and see what they are like since I never liked how far in the factory 5 spoke wheels sit on my 06 Coupe.

Tim

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm sure the paint will take a beating......................., better run lots of 3m.

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I run 1/2 inch spacers on my car. It makes tons of power and torque with the 10 pound Roe. I have had no issues.

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Wow - old thread.

Did you go with longer wheel studs?

I run 1/2 inch spacers on my car. It makes tons of power and torque with the 10 pound Roe. I have had no issues.

The comp couple uses 3/4" spacers - and longer wheel studs - and it seems to do just fine. I'm using a 1" H&R spacer on my Street Serpent. Supposedly, Porsche uses these spacers from the factory as well. It is a hub centric spacer for added safty. H&R is probably a little heavier than going with longer wheel studs and a spacer - but did not require me to take the wheel hubs off.

I would guess the spacers in the picture to be nearly 1.75 - 2".

X-Metal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow - old thread.

Did you go with longer wheel studs?

The comp couple uses 3/4" spacers - and longer wheel studs - and it seems to do just fine. I'm using a 1" H&R spacer on my Street Serpent. Supposedly, Porsche uses these spacers from the factory as well. It is a hub centric spacer for added safty. H&R is probably a little heavier than going with longer wheel studs and a spacer - but did not require me to take the wheel hubs off.

I would guess the spacers in the picture to be nearly 1.75 - 2".
good call. there is NOTHING wrong with running a high qaulity hub centric spacer. to say there is a danger of slipping etc, is a misconception. that would be like saying you cant put i forged wheels on your car, because they are bolted together...
many race setups from the factory and otherwise use spacers

29OUTLAW

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here are some H&R 25mm (about 1 " ) spacers just on the back. Even on a car that's not lowered, I think it's a big improvement over the "tucked" look that they gave us from the factory. Done about 200 miles with them but been very cautious to start with. Took the wheels off after 100 miles to re-check torque.

Some might remember that I just got those 10 spokes back from Calchrome so here's another look at the chrome job for those considering it.

OP
OP
A

Austin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks good. Do you have any other shots from different angles? I think the spacers make it look more aggressive.

Here are some H&R 25mm (about 1 " ) spacers just on the back. Even on a car that's not lowered, I think it's a big improvement over the "tucked" look that they gave us from the factory. Done about 200 miles with them but been very cautious to start with. Took the wheels off after 100 miles to re-check torque.

Some might remember that I just got those 10 spokes back from Calchrome so here's another look at the chrome job for those considering it.

Scott_in_FL

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Okay, so 25 mm for the rear, what amount should we try on the front? I'm willing to give this a shot. Did you need longer studs? If so, where did you get them and who pressed them into the hub? Thx in advance.

29OUTLAW

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Okay, so 25 mm for the rear, what amount should we try on the front? I'm willing to give this a shot. Did you need longer studs? If so, where did you get them and who pressed them into the hub? Thx in advance.

The spacers look like this. They bolt on to the stock studs using the provided bolts. Your wheels then bolt to the studs that come mounted on the spacers. With 25mm spacers, the stock studs will stick out past the spacer a bit. It just so happens that the stock 10 spoke wheels have little dimples on the inside of the wheels. This dimple is where the stock studs rests inside. Without the dimples, it wouldn't have worked. I would have had to make my own dimples and I wouldn't have done that. You can see the dimples in the 2nd pic.

Next weekend I might get some other pics from other angles. Not sure what I'm gonna do with the front. Might just leave it as-is. IMO, it's just the back that tucks under too much.