Does Viper GTS have lsd?

rmani

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Searched around and couldn't find an answer. If they do what % is it?

Someone else mentioned they had some different setup which I am unfamiliar with.

Thanks for the education.

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
All year models had a limited slip differential

Dan Cragin
DC Performance Inc
310-841-6996

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
no, he's asking the percentage of applied torque to the axle with traction.

FWIW, I don't know but I think it's fairly high. Not as good as the '08s though.

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I think you have a typo. all factory Vipers came with a 3.07 rear ratio.

They come with a 3.08 from the factory. Some guys will swap it out for a 3.55 since it is a real nice mod.

OP
OP
R

rmani

Enthusiast
Reaction score
no, he's asking the percentage of applied torque to the axle with traction.

FWIW, I don't know but I think it's fairly high. Not as good as the '08s though.

exactly i know my old e36 m3 at a 25% LSD while the newer e46 M3 has a 100% LSD. I'm just curious to see what the Vipers have.

OP
OP
R

rmani

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just wondering but would a 100% LSD be the same as a locked differential or positrac?

Positrac is what one of my other fiends said the viper had but I just did a google search and it said positrac is the just GM term for LSD. It makes no mention of what % of power is transferred to the non-spinning wheel.

DrDJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Positrac is what one of my other fiends said the viper had but I just did a google search and it said positrac is the just GM term for LSD. It makes no mention of what % of power is transferred to the non-spinning wheel.

It's impossible to spin just one rear wheel on a Viper. Does that answer your question?

DrDJ

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the funniest thing is that you have a pic of it in your avatar:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

It is ironic, but I have never heard anyone use the acronym "lsd". Well not with cars anyway!

A) Posi - yes
B) limited slip - yes
C) trac-lok - yes
D) locker - yes

and if someone's going to mention it, I realize that "A" and "C" are brand variances of the category "B". "D" being a locking type non clutch, watch the @ss end of your car come around the corner as you accelerate. Most people seem to use all of the above interchangeably when referring to a rear end with a non "open differential". Anyway learn something new everyday.

OP
OP
R

rmani

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's impossible to spin just one rear wheel on a Viper. Does that answer your question?

DrDJ

No i know that the system always send a certain amount of power to the other non-spinning wheel but my question is what % of power.

OP
OP
R

rmani

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is ironic, but I have never heard anyone use the acronym "lsd". Well not with cars anyway!

A) Posi - yes
B) limited slip - yes
C) trac-lok - yes
D) locker - yes

and if someone's going to mention it, I realize that "A" and "C" are brand variances of the category "B". "D" being a locking type non clutch, watch the @ss end of your car come around the corner as you accelerate. Most people seem to use all of the above interchangeably when referring to a rear end with a non "open differential". Anyway learn something new everyday.

I guess we're on two different ends of the spectrum. I've always been more into european cars (viper really has been the only exception) and LSD is a very common term, funny I'd never heard of positrac until recently. :)

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No i know that the system always send a certain amount of power to the other non-spinning wheel but my question is what % of power.
Someone who knows what they are talking about please correct me, but the Viper has a friction clutch type positraction unit which when the car is driving straight and both rear wheels are turning at the same rate mimics a locked differential (like the spool units drag racers use) but allows the wheels to turn at different rate when turning a corner by allowing its clutch to slip (which I believe requires differing torque to be applied to the individual axles by the tipres rotating at different speeds - which is not present when you are spinning the tires). By definition I believe this means torque is split 50/50. This is unlike a torsen (I believe Quaife units are torsen technology) which has a mechanical ability to put more than 50% of the torque to a non-spinning wheel and when turning corners has a smoother action than a clutch type posi unit. And unlike a electronically controlled locking differential like that used on the Subaru STi, Mitsubishi Evolution and Ferrari 430. I hope I am thinking correctly.

bvk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
it's not a locker, I'm pretty sure of that - I just bought a new house with a sorta steep-ish drive way, hitting it at an angle means one of the rear's is off the ground, car goes no where.

just did this 30 mins ago, going to have a wee look in teh service manual to see what it reckons.

Oh, and I actually searched for LSD, I'm australian and its a very common term (for us, but then again I reckon the car has a bonnet and a boot, not this hood and trunk rubbish) :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tbone96