Done driving school before?

santo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi All,

Just curious how many VCO members have been involved in driving school? I have not done so yet and because of this I'm on the fence about any track event as I really want to try but am a little worried about breaking something or being a little over-zealous and not being able to control the beast. I certainly feel the "need for speed" but this car has me a little more cautious than normal.

I have done top speed in my old Dodge Stealth Turbo several times as I used to do it at least once per year to "clean her out" and I once drove for about 45 minutes on a clear US interstate at a hefty pace but I don't think I've gone over half-throttle in the Viper because there is no place to do so safely. It' totally different over the all wheel drive I had. Is driving school what I need?

I am definitely interested in the Ian Law driving school with the club so I really look forward to that but if anyone has details on how the Brampton Powerade Centre works, I'd very much appreciate it.

Thanks for any replies.
Santo

valentine_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I haven't done a formal school, but I have had a few sessions with professional instructors at a couple of track events. This is the absolute least you should do before tracking your car and well worth the time. I have been a drag racer for 20 yeras, but was pretty clueless when it came to road racing. Going fast in a straight line is pretty easy. Going fast through turns is not. Even stock Vipers are much faster than the average driver can handle. Just when I thought I was getting pretty good, I rode shotgun while I let an instructor who had raced professionally for 35 years take a few laps with my car. I was astonished at how much more he was able to wring out the car than I was. Later, I watched him clobber several Vipers with a bone stock M3. He was that good of a driver.

I still plan on attending a formal racing school as soon as I can find the time. There is still plenty for me to learn.

handyman_321

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I attended the Howard Dexter driving course last year after I bought my viper. They held it on the big track at Mosport. The instructors were very impressive and knowledgable. It was well worth the time and money.

I feel much more comfortable driving my car now. They showed me everything from how to sit and adjust the pedals to car balance and driving.

It was a great day.

Nick Majors

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Santo,

I have been doing track and racing for about eight years, most recenlty in my Viper CC. Yes, it's a lot of car to handle, but with good instruction and adequate seat time, there is little to be afraid of.

The Calabogie event in June provides instructors for students at all levels. May be worth signing up for.

In Ontario there are many options, from Performance Driving Schools, to Lapping events with instruction, to all out Racing Schools. I would reccommend saving actual racing schools until you are more comfortable with the car and done a few track events.

Ian Law, Dexter Days, BMW club, Porsche Club should all be considered locally. The Viper Days program in the US (and hopefully next year in Canada) is of course a great choice.

Call or PM me if you would like some personal suggestions or schedule/details of schools or programs.

Nick Majors (aka Darth Viper)

wormdoggy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just signed up for Brigestone auto racing in May and usually race non- Viper competitive events 8-9 times a year. I also race once a month in high powered go-cart events. Although they are not Vipers they certainly do give you excellent track fundamentals, how to take corners, breaking into to a turn , heal toe and shifting.

Like you I don't get the total experience driving my Viper since I too am worried about breaking something or hitting another car or perhaps even worse. Lets face it for some of us if not a lot of us , Vipers are a large investment. It's a great feeling to get into a car that does not belong too you and take it to its limits without worries or concerns and truly LEARN how to drive without fear.

I think the only way to truly learn how to track race is to be worry free about damaging your vehicle. I have learned a lot from racing F2000 cars and certainly apply that to my driving experience in my Viper. The entire experience from learning in the classroom, to taking to the course while being watched by experienced teachers and drivers is well worth the money invested. A professional critique usually follows after every event which you learn from and improve on your next session.

The formula 2000 cars are excellent vehicles for learning racing dymanics which can be applied, IMHO, to any car. Here's the web page....... http://www.race2000.com/courses/rdt

In the end and probably the most important advice is to never take your Viper to any unsafe speeds without learning basic to intermediate driving fundamentals and more importantly LEARN THE CAR. We lost 2 members last year in Canada . God forbid it to happen again.

Patrick

Last edited:

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's cool to admit as a Viper owner Santo, and not letting the ego of owning one imply that you know how to drive, we've all heard that quote - "high performance car, low performance driver.." after they wrapped it around a tree. I don't know how to drive on a track yet, I understand the basic fundamentals, picking a line, braking earlier than I think I should, oversteer / understeer, being conservative with the pedal coming out of the turn, etc.. but it comes down to experience and taking your time, learning and respecting your limits at that particular corner, in which they are all different going in and out and around.. I'll consider learning the heel toe thing later on, needing to focus on the basics.

If you want a partner learning together with our Vipers, or for anyone else that wants to join the amateur Viper driver group at an event with training in Ontario, I'm on board for the fun. I've been designing / engineering cars & parts my entire career, and that doesn't count for any knowledge regarding track racing.

My only experience is trying to go straight just as valentine mentioned, here's an engine shot of the last car I built, a 9.4 L / 572 c.i. Hemi in a 3000 lb car (which can be tough if the front tires are off the ground..).

You must be registered for see images

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
May I suggest exotic car day at Toronto Motorsports park.Very relaxed.Highest speeds probably around 110 mph.Absoluely nothing to run into.Built on ar airstrip that used to be a cornfield.Nothing to go off into except grass. GTS Bruce

HSSSTOY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
..Back in 1999 our club members hooked up with Ian Law driving school. Almost everyone lockedup their brakes on the small course setup by Ian. Suddenly you realize this car is very basic(by design)with no ABS, no electronic nannies to hep you out of trouble. At that point the club decided that driving school is a must for everyone, and it's always on our schedule under events. Now of course we have the ABS since 2001, and nothing else. So we still have to rely heavily on the driver's skill to keep the shinny side up.

I bought a book several years ago titled "GoingFaster" which is about Mastering the Art of Race Driving, by the Skip Barber Racing School and Forwarded by Danny Sullivan. It's a good read even before going to driving school.

The upcoming event May 27th "Exotic Car Lapping" run by TMP at Cayuga, is also another avenue to take the Viper out with an instructor on the track. This track is only couple of years old and plenty of space, if a driver makes a mistake(trust me we all spun it 360 degrees)and no problem. Also quite visible to other drivers from a distance (flat course), it's a good learning track.

Nabil

HSSSTOY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
..Cont.

The down side of track driving:

Engine oil starvation: Upon pulling G's at corners, the remedy is an Oil Baffle Kit inserted into the oil pan(92-02) or a swing arm(03-06 expensive).

Brake failure due to heat: Change your brake lines to Stainless Steel (kit). Replace the brake fluid to track fluid( higher temp), and good brake pads. These would be the min. improvments required to enjoy some lapping on the track.

The cost for the above parts is around $700.US.(not swing arm) the enjoyment is :D .

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been roadracing for 3 yrs now, but I do have a dedicated track car (Z06). I have never tracked my GTS but I plan on it this year-I personally agree with the guys above, it's the BEST way to learn what you can and cannot do in your Viper

Your instructor won't let you go past what you are ready for, no reason you need to go out there and run 10/10's of what the car can do-JMHO.

HSSTOY-I always overfill my oil before HPDE's in the vette, does it work the same for the Viper to keep the engine oiled?

HSSSTOY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Leslie...excess oil is not recommended, but having extra oil with you at the track is a good idea. frequently check for oil level and insure the power steering cap is tight.

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Excess oil is not a good idea. Problem is that the crankshaft can whip into the higher level of oil, creating a frothy mix in the crankcase, in other words - the aeration / air bubbles in the oil will result in damage to your engine bearngs, etc.

Last edited: