Door problems

Mike Dolan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My '05 started having door problems, first the passenger door wouldn't open from the outside, acting like the car was locked. Now the drivers door has been acting up, needing several attempts before it will open. The inside handles always work fine, it's just the outside ones. Oh and one other thing, it seems as if leaving the keys in precludes the driver door from opening from the outside. Fortunately the times this happened either my son was in the car, or I had a second set of keys with me.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

OP
OP
M

Mike Dolan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well Mark, you are probably correct. In trying to localize another problem, that of the battery going dead if the car is parked for more than a couple days, I also discovered that by pulling the fuse to the BCM, current flow from the battery when everything is turned off went from a bit more than 1/2 amp to virtually nothing. A 50 amp/hour battery, with a 1/2 amp load will drain completely in about 4 days.

Now the hard part, my car has had the battery problem since new & so far the dealer has replaced the battery several times, which makes sense, if you completely drain a starting battery it greatly shortens the life of the battery.

Assuming that the body control module has been the problem all along, is there any chance Chrysler will cover this (the car is out of warranty as of last March)? What is the protocol for this?

Thanks,
Mike Dolan

intense5.5

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the dealer has replaced the battery (several times),certainly you should be able to make justifiable complaint to the service dept.that this problem should have been discovered sooner. To bad one of the mechanics did'nt have enough determination to dig a little deeper instead of just keep throwing new batteries in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper