Drag Strip Times!

Billy Coons

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, after finally breaking in my new '08 TracLoc with 3.55's for 350 miles and fixing an annoying squealing problem (new stock serpentine belt), I had the distinct pleasure of testing out my 2003 SRT 10 vert's mods at the Virginia Motorsports Park 1/4 mile drag strip this past Fri the 13th. :drive:

Made 5 back to back, non-stop passes. Car was warmed up after driving 130 miles there. Track temp was cool (early in day, few passes before me), and air temp was about 85 degrees. I shifted low and set my shift light at 5k rpm's (getting used to the Paxton & gears). My best of 5 passes broke out as follows:

R/T: .554 sec
60': 2.004 sec
330': 5.169 sec
1/8 mile: 7.715 sec @ 97.84mph
1000': 10.101 sec
1/4 mile: 11.930 @ 129.62

All this on the stock run-craps (28 psi cold)...AND...she drove STRAIGHT as an arrow! But, 1st and 2nd gears were USELESS! :lmao: 3rd and 4th gears...AWESOME! :headbang:

I'd like to think that with slicks, a good launch, and higher rpm shifts, I could be in the low 11's / high 10's at between 130-135mph. :dunno:

I was booted off the track for running too fast without a roll bar. :2tu: Drove home with the A/C blasting and not a single problem! Averaged 21 mpg each way and sucked down a quarter tank of gas during the 5 passes! :omg:

VERY happy with results considering the tires used. :D Hoosiers and a low profile roll bar are on my next shopping list!

Will be posting dyno numbers within a week. :eater:

MANY, MANY thanks to JonB, D.C. Performance, and Dyno-Tuned Performance! :D

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Mike, looks very similar. BTW, what tires were you running?

Im on aftermarket wheels, Iforged 19/20" with Michelin PS2's 275/30/19 and 335/30/20.
They are a little heavier then my stock sidewinder wheels and not the best for drag or road racing, but I wanted some bling. I also have Motons and they are set very stiff, so my car doesnt squat like it used to out of the hole on stock suspension. That probably hurts a little in drag racing also, but I wasnt building a 1/4 mile car.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Mike, looks very similar. BTW, what tires were you running?

Im on aftermarket wheels, Iforged 19/20" with Michelin PS2's 275/30/19 and 335/30/20.
They are a little heavier then my stock sidewinder wheels and not the best for drag or road racing, but I wanted some bling. I also have Motons and they are set very stiff, so my car doesnt squat like it used to out of the hole on stock suspension. That probably hurts a little in drag racing also, but I wasnt building a 1/4 mile car.

If you want traction, go with a 18" wheel like SSR's, get some drag radials and you have to do a e-brake relocation kit to make it fit. You should be able to pull some 1.6/1.7 60 fts. I was able to get a 1.8 60 on my street tires, so to me a stickeier tire and rim swap isnt worth it, but every little .1 helps.

OP
OP
B

Billy Coons

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, I had to use the e-brake relocation kit for my I-Forged rims, but was actually thinking of getting the Hoosier A6 or R6 as a stock size replacement for my ZXP3's. I know they may not last long, but from reading threads of guys that have them, they hook up like crazy.

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didnt think it was possible to go that slow in a paxton ;-)

Completely stock car, with ONLY a paxton, NO other mods, ON run craps.. I pulled like an 11.50 at some 128 mph...

you're doing something wrong Billy... and certainly not something I would brag about.

Paxtons turn your car into a HP car, NOT a torque car, and we make the most power RIGHT up to red line. So you do NOT short shift a paxton, like you would a NA car, you rip her like you stole her.

Better luck getting those times more in line.. I've done 10's with Mods on a paxton (stock boost). So you can certainly get better with just a bit of practice and a few beneficial mods.

Good luck!

Jon

OP
OP
B

Billy Coons

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didnt think it was possible to go that slow in a paxton ;-)

Completely stock car, with ONLY a paxton, NO other mods, ON run craps.. I pulled like an 11.50 at some 128 mph...

you're doing something wrong Billy... and certainly not something I would brag about.

Paxtons turn your car into a HP car, NOT a torque car, and we make the most power RIGHT up to red line. So you do NOT short shift a paxton, like you would a NA car, you rip her like you stole her.

Better luck getting those times more in line.. I've done 10's with Mods on a paxton (stock boost). So you can certainly get better with just a bit of practice and a few beneficial mods.

Good luck!

Jon

Thanks Jon, after I get the roll bar and some slicks, I'll drive her like I stole her! :drive:

Guess I was conservative, not wanting to full-out thrash it just after having everything installed. Kinda playing it safe with the run craps and new mods. :rolleyes:

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You'll definately make up some time just by taking it to the sweet spot of 6k rpms. Like Jon said, the Paxton really shines up high, but is no slouch down low either.

When I was N/A power about 480 rwhp, Id shift hard, power shift 1-2,2-3,3-4 shifts. But with the Paxton, even though I ran it to 6k rpms, I shifted smoothe and easy between 1-2 and then a little firmer on 2-3 shift and ******* my 3-4 shift. With some practice you'll easily drop down to low 11's, maybe high 10's

Kenneth Krieger

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Paxton, Belangers, 3:55's, Roe throttle body, computer reflash.....on DR's, 10.39, 138.8mph, 1.67 60ft, on a clear cool day in Phoenix (in March, 6% humidity and 67 degrees with 750ft air and we are at just over 1,000 ft. in altitude),then kicked off the track for no roll cage.......that was then this is now..... today 113!!! Huagh.......probably wouldn't break 11.7 today with that kind of heat!

OP
OP
B

Billy Coons

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paxton, Belangers, 3:55's, Roe throttle body, computer reflash.....on DR's, 10.39, 138.8mph, 1.67 60ft, on a clear cool day in Phoenix (in March, 6% humidity and 67 degrees with 750ft air and we are at just over 1,000 ft. in altitude),then kicked off the track for no roll cage.......that was then this is now..... today 113!!! Huagh.......probably wouldn't break 11.7 today with that kind of heat!

Thanks Ken, was kind of hot here. I see lots of potential...just having funning smoothing out those treads in the tires you sold me! :headbang:

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Booted for 11.9? I thought it was 11.5 or is that not an NHRA track? Or maybe because of the vert.

OP
OP
B

Billy Coons

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vert requires a roll bar to go faster then a 13.5. Wondering if the SRT-10 vert dual hoop roll bar will meet the requirement?

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nat asperated on stock Pilots (560 to the tire ) my old Gts (currently owned by Joe Houss )ran 11.2 at 132 MPH

OP
OP
B

Billy Coons

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Ken, those are the tires you sold me on those rims. I'm actually working a trade right now, my Forgeline rims and tires for a set of the OEM 5 spoke polished aluminum rims with tires. Looking for a bit more bling! :headbang:

Hey Billy.....I like your car! The wheels look great with the black on black!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang