Drilling holes in my frame

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, who engineered these cars so I can ask if I can safely drill holes in my frame in order to mount a hitch without voiding any warranty. I wouldn't want to take off from the line and leave my rear ten feet behind me. I know exactly the size and the placement. All I need is an answer as to engineering saftey.

Thanks,
Andrew

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The frame rail wall thickness is quite thin and if you're going to pull a trailer, I'd reinforce the area you attach to.

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would bet that you will void the warranty by adding a trailer hitch. Really..think twice, err., 10 times before doing this.

OP
OP
A

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kidding? Nope. I was in St. Louis last year and saw a few guys had trailers; 2 or 3. Not big ones, I'm only talking about pulling a set of wheels and some tools, maybe 500-700 lbs tops. It's not like I'm looking to pull another car. I see other guys doing it all the time to diferent events. I didn't think it sounded so crazy.

But again, does anyone know how I might speak to those who actually build the cars to ask the question?

Thanks,
Andrew

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey I could use a hitch to pull my jetski too!
smile.gif
Seems like a hitch wouldn't work on a gen 2 because of the rear center exhaust, as opposed to a gen 1...

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Not crazy at all!

In fact, a Viper engineer HAS worked this out.

JonB

360.837.3937 8a-5p Pacific

Nadine UK GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh Jon...tell us more please!

I'm in the process of making up my own hitch kit; planning on putting steel pipe inserts into the chassis rail, after I've drilled through, so as not to crumple the chassis when I bolt up. The frame doesn't look at all that strong in places! BTW, those holes cut out on the front chassis rail box sections, are they crumple zones?

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon,

Come on tell em that it isn't just a Viper engineer that has a trailer hitch. The Autoform web site has the trailer designed jointly for/by this individual and his Viper. Word has it his nickname is "Father Viper."

Ron

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper Quarterly "Summer Issue 1999" "HAULIN" Viper sets another world speed record,but this time,there was a hitch.
97 GTS towing a standard "Abbey Iona Caravan" trailer[127.76 mph]!
It can be done!

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ron Stene:
The Autoform web site has the trailer designed jointly for/by this individual and his Viper. Word has it his nickname is "Father Viper."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I didn't see any hitch/trailer on the autoform site...

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
These pictures are for Nadine (sorry they are late!), to whom I promised them a while back. This is Ron's RT/10 as he passed through Kansas City last summer on the way to VOI 6:

<center>
You must be registered for see images
</center>

Another view:

<center>
</center>

While I didn't get any great close ups of the hitch (sorry!), I did manage this one that will give you a better idea of how it looks up close:

<center>
</center>

As I recall, he had a small slot in the back of the bumper insert where the hitch went into. It was basically a receiver hitch but instead of a large opening it was a smaller one that you wouldn't even notice when the hitch wasn't on the car. I think he held it in with a large cotter pin (could also use a lock when parked). The trailer was custom and made from aluminum. He normally used it for tires, etc., but it was full of clothes and luggage as he made his way across the country from Wyoming. While I couldn't bring myself to do it to my GTS, I thought it was still pretty neat.

Chris