Drive an SRT with Traction Control today

OP
OP
V

ViperGMC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: Drove an SRT with Traction Control today

Sorry, thought I would tease a bit. Anyway, I installed the Racelogic unit this weekend and so far it seems like it is going to work out well. It is pouring down rain today so I can only report on the “wet” setting.

Giving it moderate gas off a light would normal spin like mad but the TC kicked in and slowed things down to just enough to keep grip and let the car go. I have never been able to accelerate this fast in the rain. Not that I want to go punching it around town on a rainy day but it did illustrate that the TC does keep the car under control. Turning a corner off a light which everyone knows can be a real easy spin, the TC kept me going without slide. The TC has 6 settings 20%, 15%, 10%, 5%, wet and off. With it being so wet I can’t really test all the settings very well so stay tuned. One thing is for sure, if you every let anyone drive your car, the wet setting will keep them from spinning it out, from the gas peddle anyway. Big comfort for me since I let people drive my car all the time.

From what I can tell this is the first SRT installation and there are some things to work out. There is a data table for the different levels of spin and there is going to have to be some fine tuning here. Racelogic sent me a modified file that I started with but its not there yet. Also they are struggling with 10 cylinders though they say it can handle 12. It depends how the injectors are wired, but they are willing to work with me and probably more important I am willing to work with them. So to be fair with the guys at Racelogic, so far so good but don’t let me down now. I am confident that we can get it tuned just right. I am going to the track in 2 weeks so I will see what it will do there.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

VERY interesting! I am still a big fan of TC when hooking up is next to impossible. And for those that continue to poo-poo traction control, here is what former IMSA champion driver Steve Millen recently said about the (cough cough) C6 Corvette that won the "Best All Around Sportscar" award in Toad & Crack magazine (where the Viper took 6th):

"Naturally, I like having control of everything when driving ******* a track, so I prefer no computer assistance whatsoever. But with the Vette, I found that I could not get the power down early enough with the traction control turned off. The rear end kept breaking loose out of corners. Then I tried it with the system in Competition Mode. To be honest, I didn't think I was going any quicker; it pulled the engine power back when I wanted it, but it did get rid of that rear wheel spin. At the time I thought it had too much control, but obviously it works really well because my lap times were a few tenths faster."

Note that this is with a Vette that only has 400 flywheel horsepower and 400 flywheel ft lbs of torque. Our Vipers make around 500 ft lbs of torque - at the rear wheels. Also note that this test was on the Buttonwillow west loop where the Vette beat out the Viper - by those same few tenths.

Switchable traction control? Put it on the menu for those of us like Steve Millen that want to increase our speed and decrease our times (and aren't concerned with how it will affect our chest hair). I look forward to hearing how your system performs at the track and in dry conditions. And I'll bet those supercharger guys can't wait for your next post. Thanks for the information!

Chris

PS. I noticed in your signature that your first Viper is no more due to what appears to be traction issues. I can see why you are all over the traction control...

GOT VENM

Enthusiast
Reaction score

What is the cost of the traction control and who makes it?

serious racer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
HI i just bought an 05 viper being that i own an 02 vette that runs in the 10s i can appreciate traction control. could you send me info on where i can get system thanks gary. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: at [email protected] or 631 888 1235

OP
OP
V

ViperGMC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I took it out and around town earlier tonight, it was still raining but I could not get the back end to come around. I took about 8 hours to install and was pretty straight forward, though I am pretty familiar with the guts of the car by now with all the stuff I have installed. The hardest part was finding the ABS controller. Unfortunately, I will be out of town all week so I will not be able to play around with the system till I get back. Hopefully it will stop raining by then, plus I have a set of Sport Cup tires to mount so I will do some 0-60 runs before and after, TC on and off.

The units costs $995, the guy’s name is Jeremy and he is very helpful and quick to respond.
Purchased at www.matrixintegrated.cc 503.443.1141
Manufacturer www.racelogic.co.uk

serious racer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hi what are sport cups im also looking for better griping tires and cant wait for 19 inch drag radials to come out,as im not wanting to change rims. thanks gary at [email protected] :2tu: :2tu: :confused: :confused:

vincent_esq

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wow, sounds good. I am definitely interested. However, it took you 8 hours to install? Sounds difficult. How much skills would you need to install this?

jeremy@matrix

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Sorry, thought I would tease a bit. Anyway, I installed the Racelogic unit this weekend and so far it seems like it is going to work out well. It is pouring down rain today so I can only report on the “wet” setting.

Giving it moderate gas off a light would normal spin like mad but the TC kicked in and slowed things down to just enough to keep grip and let the car go. I have never been able to accelerate this fast in the rain. Not that I want to go punching it around town on a rainy day but it did illustrate that the TC does keep the car under control. Turning a corner off a light which everyone knows can be a real easy spin, the TC kept me going without slide. The TC has 6 settings 20%, 15%, 10%, 5%, wet and off. With it being so wet I can’t really test all the settings very well so stay tuned. One thing is for sure, if you every let anyone drive your car, the wet setting will keep them from spinning it out, from the gas peddle anyway. Big comfort for me since I let people drive my car all the time.

From what I can tell this is the first SRT installation and there are some things to work out. There is a data table for the different levels of spin and there is going to have to be some fine tuning here. Racelogic sent me a modified file that I started with but its not there yet. Also they are struggling with 10 cylinders though they say it can handle 12. It depends how the injectors are wired, but they are willing to work with me and probably more important I am willing to work with them. So to be fair with the guys at Racelogic, so far so good but don’t let me down now. I am confident that we can get it tuned just right. I am going to the track in 2 weeks so I will see what it will do there.

Excellent review GMC, thanks!

We will work with Racelogic to finely tune the slip settings and make the SRT even that much more fun to drive!

jeremy@matrix

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I took it out and around town earlier tonight, it was still raining but I could not get the back end to come around. I took about 8 hours to install and was pretty straight forward, though I am pretty familiar with the guts of the car by now with all the stuff I have installed. The hardest part was finding the ABS controller. Unfortunately, I will be out of town all week so I will not be able to play around with the system till I get back. Hopefully it will stop raining by then, plus I have a set of Sport Cup tires to mount so I will do some 0-60 runs before and after, TC on and off.

The units costs $995, the guy’s name is Jeremy and he is very helpful and quick to respond.
Purchased at www.matrixintegrated.cc 503.443.1141
Manufacturer www.racelogic.co.uk

Ha, wonderful news GMC!!

Thanks for the kind words. We do our very best.

jeremy@matrix

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, sounds good. I am definitely interested. However, it took you 8 hours to install? Sounds difficult. How much skills would you need to install this?

Hi Vincent,

For a factory looking install 8hours is about right. It really all depends how meticulous you are with your wiring(we are extremely meticulous). But the install in general is straightforward---just splice into the injector wiring, wheel speed sensor wiring and get an RPM signal and that is it. If you are comfortable with electrical work then this will not be an issue for you.

LMK if you have any other questions. I am here to help.

Jeremy

OP
OP
V

ViperGMC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
On the way into the office this morning, I was playing around with the TC. On the 10% slip setting I was launching fairly hard (75%) and no spin, I was really cool. Normally when I launch hard I get the tires hooked up initially, the acceleration is great and then when I reach 4K the back end starts moving around so I have to back off. Not this morning, I kept it going, I shifted and punched it again and no spin. I have never been able to get under 4 seconds on a 0-60 but I bet I can now. With the different settings and being able modify the data tables, it will be fun to fine tune this thing. I still do not quite have the complete understanding of the cause and effect of the data tables, but with the help of the Racelogic guys, we will get there.

For those asking about the install, it is not hard, I was the first, so I kind of had to figure everything out which took me longer. Tracking down the wires took a while to but I can provide all that info so it should save a lot of time. I did have one big advantage though. The biggest issue is making the penetrations through the firewall. For the first timer this will take a while. I have a open conduit thru so it is no big deal for me. Anyway, so far, I am very pleased.

vincent_esq

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Is there a controller of some sort that you fit inside the car? Where do you have it installed? Can you post a picture for us, vipergmc? Thanks

jeremy@matrix

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On the way into the office this morning, I was playing around with the TC. On the 10% slip setting I was launching fairly hard (75%) and no spin, I was really cool. Normally when I launch hard I get the tires hooked up initially, the acceleration is great and then when I reach 4K the back end starts moving around so I have to back off. Not this morning, I kept it going, I shifted and punched it again and no spin. I have never been able to get under 4 seconds on a 0-60 but I bet I can now. With the different settings and being able modify the data tables, it will be fun to fine tune this thing. I still do not quite have the complete understanding of the cause and effect of the data tables, but with the help of the Racelogic guys, we will get there.

For those asking about the install, it is not hard, I was the first, so I kind of had to figure everything out which took me longer. Tracking down the wires took a while to but I can provide all that info so it should save a lot of time. I did have one big advantage though. The biggest issue is making the penetrations through the firewall. For the first timer this will take a while. I have a open conduit thru so it is no big deal for me. Anyway, so far, I am very pleased.

Fantastic!!!

jeremy@matrix

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there a controller of some sort that you fit inside the car? Where do you have it installed? Can you post a picture for us, vipergmc? Thanks

I have a pic I could send you or anyone if someone can post it. We have a different picture of the RLTC on our site.

jeremy@matrix

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would it work on a GTS, with abs of course?

Hi Bruno,

It certainly will. Racelogic is actually a very universal system. It can made to work well on virtually any vehicle---carb'd or fuel injected, etc.

Let me know!
Jeremy

jeremy@matrix

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's good news. My wife maybe tempted to get a GTS as well.
Thanks

Perfect, the Racelogic system is certainly a "wife saver;" keeps the car safely on the road even with a big hammer of the throttle. :)

Cris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When the system engages how does the engine act? Does it smoothly reduce power or is it more dramatic (sort of like ABS does with braking)? Also, I wonder how it would work with boosted applications where loss of fuel at WOT could be devastating.

jeremy@matrix

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When the system engages how does the engine act? Does it smoothly reduce power or is it more dramatic (sort of like ABS does with braking)? Also, I wonder how it would work with boosted applications where loss of fuel at WOT could be devastating.

Hey Cris,

As far as how the cut is(smooth or harsher), it all depends on the wheelslip event. Like I explained to a few of you who called today(waves hi), if you were to roll on the throttle on the freeway, the cut will be very smooth. If you were to dump the clutch on a 600+whp vehicle, the cut will be harsher because the Racelogic is trying to control ALL the power, not just a fraction of it(like during the roll-on on the freeway).

The Racelogic has different levels/tiers of cuts. For example, it has a sequence 1, 2, and 3. The Racelogic will look at seq3 and if there is not enough cut then it moves to seq2, then seq1 if needed. So, based on the desired slip percentage you have chosen on the cockpit adjuster and if the car is exceeding that slip %, the RLTC will continually cut one injector at a time until it is satisfied that the car is under the designated slip.
Moreover, you can go into the Racelogic software and smooth out that cut on the clutch dump situation. Does that make sense?

It's actually incredibly cool----while you're driving hard you can actually watch the tach needle stutter as Racelogic engages, engages, disengages, engages, etc....all while the car is constantly propelling forwardly and smoothly. It is literally an amazing feeling.

On boosted cars, there are no issues. Most of our Viper clients here are s/c'd(most with Paxton). We have some HUGE hp cars in the works as well. Since the Racelogic system cuts the injector fully, there is no possible lean condition because there is no fuel in the cylinder at all--it's dead for that cycle. Does that make sense?
Even for cars with secondary injectors, depending on the size and number of them, you can get away without having them cut. Racelogic has worked with these situations plenty of times before and with great success!!

HTH,
Jeremy

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Jeremy. That was very informative.

Now is the system owner installable (like the Paxton :) )? and is there any chance of a Viper club discount in the future?

I think the interest in this thread eschews some of the comments about adding such a feature to future Vipers. If enough of us are willing to spend dollars on something that could be done with programming and limited added cost, why would it be avoided for future Vipers?

jeremy@matrix

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Jeremy. That was very informative.

Now is the system owner installable (like the Paxton :) )? and is there any chance of a Viper club discount in the future?

I think the interest in this thread eschews some of the comments about adding such a feature to future Vipers. If enough of us are willing to spend dollars on something that could be done with programming and limited added cost, why would it be avoided for future Vipers?

You're very welcome Ron.

Yes, the system can easily be owner installed. ViperGMC installed his own.
Viper Club discount... if someone would like to put together a GB, we are always all ears.

I don't follow your last sentence much. Could you explain it a bit more?

Thx,
Jeremy

jeremy@matrix

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I want one.

Hi Nico,

If you're serious about one I would recommend calling us now (888.249.0013) and putting a deposit on a unit. We have had so many inquiries today that there won't be enough systems to go around when our incoming shipment comes in Friday.

LMK.
Jeremy