Drive an SRT with Traction Control today

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All -

Jeremy was kind enough to forward these pictures of the unit itself. This first picture is the Race Logic traction control ECU:

You must be registered for see images

This second picture is of the cockpit controller and some of the wiring itself. While it doesn't show it installed, it gives you a better idea of what the components are:

Jeremy also noted that the picture does not show the wet/dry settings on the controller. He will work towards getting that picture very soon. Or if I can figure out a way out get one of these for my humble '05, I will get you those pictures myself! :2tu:

Thanks ViperGMC and Jeremy. This is exciting stuff indeed!

Chris

PS. I think Ron's last comment is to point out that if there is this much excitement for an aftermarket bolt-on system (and the willingness to buy it), why don't they offer this from the factory as part of the factory ECU package? A rhetorical question I suspect...

serious racer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Drove an SRT with Traction Control today

i started to think, what if you add nos,will the traction control stop fuel and blow your engine. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Bugeater

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The system isnt idiot proof. If you plan to spray, turn the knob to the off position.

jeremy@matrix

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All -

Jeremy was kind enough to forward these pictures of the unit itself. This first picture is the Race Logic traction control ECU:

This second picture is of the cockpit controller and some of the wiring itself. While it doesn't show it installed, it gives you a better idea of what the components are:

Jeremy also noted that the picture does not show the wet/dry settings on the controller. He will work towards getting that picture very soon. Or if I can figure out a way out get one of these for my humble '05, I will get you those pictures myself! :2tu:

Thanks ViperGMC and Jeremy. This is exciting stuff indeed!

Chris

PS. I think Ron's last comment is to point out that if there is this much excitement for an aftermarket bolt-on system (and the willingness to buy it), why don't they offer this from the factory as part of the factory ECU package? A rhetorical question I suspect...

Thanks for posting those Chris.

Yes, in the second pic because of the angle I took the pic at, you can't see the WET and DRY setting, which is just to the right of "Racelogic Traction Control."

PS---Ah, ok. We have had manufacturer interest from an unnamed manufacturer.

jeremy@matrix

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The system isnt idiot proof. If you plan to spray, turn the knob to the off position.

Or you would have to devise some way to shut the NOS off when the injector(s) are cut. It really all depends how much you are spraying. Racelogic has mentioned to us that you can get by a little bit without shutting the NOS off, with the TC still on.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Or you would have to devise some way to shut the NOS off when the injector(s) are cut. It really all depends how much you are spraying. Racelogic has mentioned to us that you can get by a little bit without shutting the NOS off, with the TC still on.

What's the price?

jeremy@matrix

Enthusiast
Reaction score

What's the price?

I'd be happy to email someone with the pricing(they can post it).

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Here is the pricing and part information that so many of us has been looking for:

Racelogic Adjustable TC w/ ABS; $995 RLTC6A
Racelogic Adjustable TC w/ Launch Control & ABS; (4/6cyl) $1195 RLTC6AL
Racelogic Adjustable TC w/ LC, Data Logging & ABS; (4/6/8cyl) $1695 RLTC6ALD

Coils for Viper $140 TC6Coil

Full Throttle Shift $175 TCCLUSHIFT

The 6A is the basic system and will work on cars up to 12cyls(this is what ViperGMC has). The 6AL or 6ALD systems can also be used on the Vipers as well but to run these systems, you would need two systems (two 6AL or 2 6ALD)---it has to do with the Launch and Launch/DataLogging functions needing ALL the injectors cut, whereas with the std Adjustable function, you can get away with just cutting 6 of the 10 injectors.

Every Viper will need the coils (they are inserted into the Racelogic ECU to mimic the ringback signal that the PCM wants to see when the injector fires) so those are mandatory.

The Full Throttle Shift (no lift shift) can be added to any of the 3 systems above. Be sure to contact [email protected] to find out more!

OP
OP
V

ViperGMC

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I am out of town, but when I get back this weekend, I will post pictures of the install and give an update on tests.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

sounds quite interesting would love to see 0-60, 0-100 times and 1/4 mile with and w/out launch and traction control.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score

Yep, love to see those numbers.

OP
OP
V

ViperGMC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
There is a rainforest on the other side of the planet that is now a dessert because all the rain is over here. Out of town all week (beautiful weather) and can’t play with my Viper and when I return, rain, rain, rain. I posted some pictures of the install in my gallery for reference.

Anyway I did have a little time to do dome 0-60 runs. I did probably 15 runs, my best time was 4.05, that’s .05 better than my fastest run prior to installing the traction control. Not a whole lot of difference, I was hoping for more. Here is what I concluded; my best time is still limited by the grip of the tires (run-craps). At some point the tries simply can not hold the force applied. I have to let off or the TC must cut in, either way you need to apply less HP. I still have to trade a lot of clutch slip for wheel spin. The TC however does allow me to be a little sloppy. The TC is able to detect the slip and make correction faster that than I can, so if I am too heavy with the pedal, it steps in and helps out. I could get a lot more runs in the low 4’s with the TC on than off. I was much more consistent with the TC. But if I get it just right then the TC does not kick in at all. So when I was driving around and conditions changed, asphalt, concrete, sealed, gravel, damp the TC can made adjustments way before I noticed the slip, so you can defiantly drive more aggressively.

At 15% slip it’s actually quite a bit of fun. On moderate to hard acceleration the back end moves around but just enough to look cool but not enough to get too far sideways. Basically the system works great to keep me in control when I have been a little sloppy. I can control things just fine on your own, but as I can attest, I am not always paying attention the way I should. It will work great if some little ricer pulls up on me and I punch it, not really ready to but the TC will keep everything with in the lines and way ahead. In the rain, it is fantastic.

The first drive that I took with the system installed, I was giving it full throttle and expecting the TC to fix everything and of course it couldn’t. If you stomp on the gas hard the TC will kick right in and the engine will pop and bang and sound terrible. What do you expect, the TC is trying to keep the wheel from spinning and you are trying to spin them. Now, I drive with the TC as a co-pilot and we help each other. I broke a valve stem mounting my new Sport Cups, so I did not get any runs with the new tires. It will be later in the week before I get any runs in. I will also be out at the rack Sunday for the real test. Hopefully no flippin rain.

I don’t really like the idea of the SRT coming with TC as a factory option. I think the TC is great, I am very glad I installed it and I recommend it to every Viper owner, but I like the idea that it does not come that way. I like that the folks debating between a Porsche and Viper go for the Porsche because they are scared of the rawness of the Viper. I do not want the Viper to become like the Vette. I prefer they sell less than a 1,000 a year. I only want to see another Viper at a gathering, never on the road. I love it when someone says, I have never seen one in person before. I think we should just keep the TC a secret till after you buy your Viper.

jeremy@matrix

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is a rainforest on the other side of the planet that is now a dessert because all the rain is over here. Out of town all week (beautiful weather) and can’t play with my Viper and when I return, rain, rain, rain. I posted some pictures of the install in my gallery for reference.

Anyway I did have a little time to do dome 0-60 runs. I did probably 15 runs, my best time was 4.05, that’s .05 better than my fastest run prior to installing the traction control. Not a whole lot of difference, I was hoping for more. Here is what I concluded; my best time is still limited by the grip of the tires (run-craps). At some point the tries simply can not hold the force applied. I have to let off or the TC must cut in, either way you need to apply less HP. I still have to trade a lot of clutch slip for wheel spin. The TC however does allow me to be a little sloppy. The TC is able to detect the slip and make correction faster that than I can, so if I am too heavy with the pedal, it steps in and helps out. I could get a lot more runs in the low 4’s with the TC on than off. I was much more consistent with the TC. But if I get it just right then the TC does not kick in at all. So when I was driving around and conditions changed, asphalt, concrete, sealed, gravel, damp the TC can made adjustments way before I noticed the slip, so you can defiantly drive more aggressively.

At 15% slip it’s actually quite a bit of fun. On moderate to hard acceleration the back end moves around but just enough to look cool but not enough to get too far sideways. Basically the system works great to keep me in control when I have been a little sloppy. I can control things just fine on your own, but as I can attest, I am not always paying attention the way I should. It will work great if some little ricer pulls up on me and I punch it, not really ready to but the TC will keep everything with in the lines and way ahead. In the rain, it is fantastic.

The first drive that I took with the system installed, I was giving it full throttle and expecting the TC to fix everything and of course it couldn’t. If you stomp on the gas hard the TC will kick right in and the engine will pop and bang and sound terrible. What do you expect, the TC is trying to keep the wheel from spinning and you are trying to spin them. Now, I drive with the TC as a co-pilot and we help each other. I broke a valve stem mounting my new Sport Cups, so I did not get any runs with the new tires. It will be later in the week before I get any runs in. I will also be out at the rack Sunday for the real test. Hopefully no flippin rain.

I don’t really like the idea of the SRT coming with TC as a factory option. I think the TC is great, I am very glad I installed it and I recommend it to every Viper owner, but I like the idea that it does not come that way. I like that the folks debating between a Porsche and Viper go for the Porsche because they are scared of the rawness of the Viper. I do not want the Viper to become like the Vette. I prefer they sell less than a 1,000 a year. I only want to see another Viper at a gathering, never on the road. I love it when someone says, I have never seen one in person before. I think we should just keep the TC a secret till after you buy your Viper.

Great feedback GMC! Let us know how it does at the track as well.
:cool:

jeremy@matrix

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not exactly sure what the full throttle shift thing does. Can you elaborate?

The full throttle gearshift system is activated by either a hydraulic or mechanical switch fitted to the clutch pedal. Once the clutch is depressed, the system automatically drops the engine revs down by using a momentary rev-limit, allowing the next gear to be selected without lifting off the throttle. Because the throttle is always fully depressed, the engine is instantly back on full power, and on a turbo car the turbo is still producing boost. Tests have shown up to 0.1 seconds can be gained per gear change.

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
He's groaning because he wouldn't have banged up his car nearly as bad if he had some traction control on it.

<g>

Sorry Chuck... couldn't resist.

JD

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
He's groaning because he wouldn't have banged up his car nearly as bad if he had some traction control on it.

<g>

Sorry Chuck... couldn't resist.

JD

HAhahahaha, I thought I saw him say in a commercial that he wouldn't have banged up his car if he had different tires.

SilverViper03

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Viper GMC

Thank you very much for your input on the RaceLogic. I called Jeremy today and he was on the phone with a guy concerning Viper, was it you? (Said he will call me back) Are you the only one with it? And your last post on the subject was 2 weeks a go, do you have any other comments.

It will be my first summer with a Viper and I am thinking that it will be safer with a TC. Do you still recommending it?

Thank you for your updates.

jeremy@matrix

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Viper GMC

Thank you very much for your input on the RaceLogic. I called Jeremy today and he was on the phone with a guy concerning Viper, was it you? (Said he will call me back) Are you the only one with it? And your last post on the subject was 2 weeks a go, do you have any other comments.

It will be my first summer with a Viper and I am thinking that it will be safer with a TC. Do you still recommending it?

Thank you for your updates.

Hey Karim,

Glad to hear from you. I tried to call you back on the # you gave me but it came up disconnected. Perhaps I wrote a digit down wrong?

Send me an email when you can; [email protected]

Best,
Jeremy

acrdakota

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So if I understand this correctly it reduces power but cutting the fuel to cylinders. Not partially but completely killing the injector firing? Does it do this one at a time or in pairs?

On the viper it has sequentially firing cylinder so does it cut the two that were firing at the same time or cut them 180* apart?

IMO this would not be good for those guys running nitrous unless you wired the TC to also cut the Nitrous and Fuel solenoids. Reason being is that when your injecting nitrous and fuel into the dry manifold when it cuts those injectors the affected cylinders will run extremely lean. Sounds like this is a good system for N/A or Boosted guys just as long as it retains a dry manifold.

Sounds like it's not quite up to the AEM but for the price it could be a great option. I'm rather shocks the lightning guys haven't heard about it yet. Blown pickups get horrible traction and are borderline uncontrollable in the rain.

SilverViper03

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I gave my deposit yesterday to order one RaceLogic, will receive it in March. Who else have that TC are you happy, some concerns? Viper GMC do you have more comments after nearly a month using it?

What is a AEM?

Thank’s

jeremy@matrix

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So if I understand this correctly it reduces power but cutting the fuel to cylinders. Not partially but completely killing the injector firing? Does it do this one at a time or in pairs?

On the viper it has sequentially firing cylinder so does it cut the two that were firing at the same time or cut them 180* apart?

IMO this would not be good for those guys running nitrous unless you wired the TC to also cut the Nitrous and Fuel solenoids. Reason being is that when your injecting nitrous and fuel into the dry manifold when it cuts those injectors the affected cylinders will run extremely lean. Sounds like this is a good system for N/A or Boosted guys just as long as it retains a dry manifold.

Sounds like it's not quite up to the AEM but for the price it could be a great option. I'm rather shocks the lightning guys haven't heard about it yet. Blown pickups get horrible traction and are borderline uncontrollable in the rain.

It cuts the injectors one at a time.

In re: to nitrous and secondary injectors, you can actually get away (depending on the setup, how much nitrous/fuel) with not shutting these down as the combustion window is small and it'd take a LOT of nitrous/fuel to cause a lean condition. The people at Racelogic have dealt with setups like this before and can say whether it spells trouble or not.

A few Lightning guys have used it with great success, but word hasn't spread like wildfire quite yet.

Let me know if there are any other questions.
Best regards,
Jeremy