Driver Door Hinge

RoadKing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The drivers door on my '98 GTS will not stay open. I'm told I need a new hinge. Anyone have an extra from a project car, wreck, etc.? $200 for a new one.

Thanks.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i'm needing a pair of them as well. How hard would it be to install? I've read of horror stories here about aligning the doors.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Easier to install with TWO VIPER OWNERS (increases the commitment and zeal)...takes determination, LONG attention span, patience, and muscle (to hold the door in various positions)...but, not hard. After seeing a problem on a friend's Viper recently, would suggest that one inspect the new hinge carefully to be SURE that it is not damaged....AND,LUBE the new hinge with proper chassis grease BEFORE attempting to open the car's door.

I (and dealer parts guy) cannot tell from the D-C computer whether there is one hinge in the packet or two for the price near what you quoted...will know when the hinge order arrives.

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Install is super easy. My buddy and I did my driver's side in 30 minutes. My secret suggestion is once you remove the two (I think it is two) bolts on the door that you have to have the door open to get to, then close the door and leave it closed until you have the new hinge installed. Having the door closed into its latch the whole time allows it to "almost" align itself. And don't forget - LOTS OF GREASE on the post-to-spring interface so it has smooth action and does not break again. Oh and when you take off the little access panel body part, don't forget to remember what shims went were (be careful because they fall out if you are not paying attention).

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Part # is 05245109 and should be a lot less than $200, I will check with my part manager friend on Monday.

I had the same problem on my driver door and what i did was to remove the broken spring clip on my hinge and the new one on the new hinge ( they are fixed by a large soft aluminum rivet that is easy to grind off ) tap and thread the hole left in the "original" hinge to accept a bolt and bolt the new spring clip on it.

Like that,not only I don't have to mess/worry with alignement but on top of that,the next time that happen again,it will take 10" to change spring.

luc. 00GTS

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PS:

Grind the rivet on the new hinge from the back (hinge side)like that when you put the new spring one it will be brand new with no grinding marks.
On the old hinge you have to grind from the front/spring side and the sping clip will get damaged but you don't care since you're replacing it.

Luc 00GTS

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Part # is 05245109 and should be a lot less than $200, I will check with my part manager friend on Monday.

I had the same problem on my driver door and what i did was to remove the broken spring clip on my hinge and the new one on the new hinge ( they are fixed by a large soft aluminum rivet that is easy to grind off ) tap and thread the hole left in the "original" hinge to accept a bolt and bolt the new spring clip on it.

Like that,not only I don't have to mess/worry with alignement but on top of that,the next time that happen again,it will take 10" to change spring.

luc. 00GTS

Luc: did you ever find the actual price for the hinges, and if they come as a pair or not? Thanks!

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Mine came last week...$242.35 was list price, got it for $164.25...and, this was ONE hinge.

Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tbone96