Drivers Mat Won't Stay Put, What To Do?

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, I picked up a set of factory logo mats and installed the clip as instructed so the mat won't slip up towards the pedals.

Dah!!! But, the clip does not hold the mat and it bunches up under the pedals, the worst place.:omg:

Is there anything that can be done with the mat, short of throwing away and getting a different one?:dunno:

Thanks.

Peter

Glen97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put a small hole or slit on each side of the mat at the base of the seat and used black zip ties to attach to the seat one on each side.

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the factory mats are known for sliding. i had to go to aftermarket mats to stop the sliding problem. they work perfectly.

Vman455

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had this problem too, it bunched up under the pedals on me. Checked the clip and the mat had popped off of it--I'm not sure if I just didn't push the mat down hard enough or what. I secured it again, making sure the mat was securely clipped in, and made sure the clip was firmly in the carpet as well. If the clip can tilt significantly, I can see how it would be easier for the mat to work loose and bunch up. It's been fine ever since (couple months now).

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Step 1 - Remove floor mat and store in house.

Step 2 - Replace floor mat at car show.

...done

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks! Well, just for clarification:

- I have pressed the mat down real well on the clip and it comes off, this has happened a number of times.
- I bought these new in July, not long after I bought the car so I don't want to have to buy another set if I can help it.
- I have it out of the car now, and drive without it, but that isn't the way I prefer it.

The zip tie idea is interesting, may end up having to do that one if I can't keep it in place.

Peter

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, well aware of the N. Cal mats and they are very nice. However, seeing as I "bothered" my wife about getting the factory logo mats in July, seems like the politically wrong thing to do asking to now replace those! She doesn't mind me spending money on the car, but hates wasting money.:bonker:

I agree on not using mats, as I've worn out carpet in other cars doing that (Vettes) to save the mats for shows.

The velcro sounds like a good idea, IF, the velcro will stick well enough to the bottom of the mat. I guess I could take it to a tailor and have clothe velcro strips sewn to the bottom.:idea:

Thoughts?

Thanks......

Peter

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wish I would have done that 60,000 miles ago. Instead I removed the mat and now the carpet is worn.

It's kind of funny though..... now you can place a mat in the car and nobody will ever know the carpet underneith is worn. My floor mats have aggrivated me since day 1, but, eh.... I just let em' be and pretend they aren't bunched up under my feet annoying me. :)

Indiana

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have used 2 baby c-clamps in the past and attached a small chain and loop (like a key chain) to go over the front seat mounts. If you crank the clamps down they will stay put.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
glue them down or use a nail gun,both work great:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:until u need to remove them:mad::mad::mad:

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To quote Bill Murrary in 'Scrooged': "Have you tried staples?"
:D

We have a franchise here called EmbroidMe that does great quick-job sewing work.
I had them do some patches for me:
You must be registered for see images attach

(it's a little hat tip to my brother and all the others serving our great country)

I'm sure they could put some velcro on the bottom of the mats for a decent price.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To quote Bill Murrary in 'Scrooged': "Have you tried staples?"
:D

We have a franchise here called EmbroidMe that does great quick-job sewing work.
I had them do some patches for me:
You must be registered for see images attach

(it's a little hat tip to my brother and all the others serving our great country)

I'm sure they could put some velcro on the bottom of the mats for a decent price.
very nice consol lid,and thankx to all of our war vets,yes indeed!:usa:

rpm9000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Loosen the seat mounting bolts and put the back edge of the mat under the seat rail and then tighten up the bolts. It works great.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Couple of good ideas here: tie raps and under the seat rails. Velcro could work too....I'm guessing you wouldn't want the velcro up in the pedal area as it could impact WOT and the clutch pedal switch with the added thickness.

Steve

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have delt with a creeping matt for 3 years now. :( I keep wanting to get the "snake oyl" matts. They claim the do not creep up under the pedals.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the SnakeOyl mats and they do not seem to creep. I removed them at a track day and never put them back in the Viper. I like it without the mats.

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It seems to me that a couple of extra factory snaps (or whatever you call them) probably would hold the mat....assuming you can actually get any. :eater:

Short of that, I may try the velcro first and if all else fails, I'll chain them to the seat frame using a Yale combination lock to make sure!!!!:omg:

Speaking of velcro, will it grab the carpet or does it have to have the receiving side of the velcro?

Just personal preference, I happen to like the look of the interior with the logo mats. Seeing as I never bought the car to show, when exactly would I use them if I didn't use them for just normal driving?:nono:

Just one of those small annoying things!:dunno:

Thanks.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FIRST: If you are constantly bunching up the mats with your feet you are probably too clumsy to drive the car properly anyways. SECOND: I myself have (GULP) bunched up the drivers side mat. When it happens you are screwed because they take a rumpled set. When this happens I wash and scrub in hot water,lay them out flat to dry and iron them with a HOT iron and let them cool on a flat surface. Wrinkles gone. Clean mats. Careful feet. No need whatever for some expensive mats,glue,ties,clamps,etc....... PS: Do not try to iron them with the rubber side up! GTS Bruce

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FIRST: If you are constantly bunching up the mats with your feet you are probably too clumsy to drive the car properly anyways. SECOND: I myself have (GULP) bunched up the drivers side mat. When it happens you are screwed because they take a rumpled set. When this happens I wash and scrub in hot water,lay them out flat to dry and iron them with a HOT iron and let them cool on a flat surface. Wrinkles gone. Clean mats. Careful feet. No need whatever for some expensive mats,glue,ties,clamps,etc....... PS: Do not try to iron them with the rubber side up! GTS Bruce

Cliff Notes: I am too clumsy to drive the car properly anyway. :D:lmao:

Seriously though, I bunch 'em up getting in and out of the car because I use my right foot to push myself up out of the car and when I do, sometimes it pushes the mat forward.

Jerry Scott[CO]

Viper Owner
Reaction score
P1010185_600_x_450_.jpg

Here's what I did and it works very well. Put 2 grommets in the back of the mat. Tie them to the seat post on each side with a removable zip tie.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang