Drivetrain clunk and when to do something

cdover73

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As most of you know I just had a new trans installed. I have put about 400 miles on it since I got it back, including a 250 mile round trip, and everything seems fine. I was driving the other day with the top up, which I seldom do, and I noticed noises I hadn't heard before. One was the rattle, which I fixed by tightening the underbody pan bolts that were loose. The other was a clunk every time I shifted. It may have been because it was town driving and lugging the car, but it was there. I would shift from 2nd to 3rd and it would clunk. 3 to 4...clunk. Rpm's were low, so that may have been why...idk It sounded like it could be either a u-joint or the ring/pinion. I'm thinking ring/pinion because I checked the u-joints not long ago and they were fine. Or, it could be normal and just more noticeable with the top up??:dunno:

When does the clunk get bad enough that you need to do something before catastrophic failure? I know most cars have it with stock gears. But when is it too bad? What's the rule of thumb?? I am going to do the 3.55 swap when I do it, but I'm not quite ready due to my upcoming travels. I would rather change it out early before any failure than have it fail and possibly tear up the entire unit.

Thoughts???

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A clunk would indicate wear, these cars make enough torque to break good parts, worn-out clunky parts are just asking for trouble. Address any noises right away.

broomrider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As most of you know I just had a new trans installed. I have put about 400 miles on it since I got it back, including a 250 mile round trip, and everything seems fine. I was driving the other day with the top up, which I seldom do, and I noticed noises I hadn't heard before. One was the rattle, which I fixed by tightening the underbody pan bolts that were loose. The other was a clunk every time I shifted. It may have been because it was town driving and lugging the car, but it was there. I would shift from 2nd to 3rd and it would clunk. 3 to 4...clunk. Rpm's were low, so that may have been why...idk It sounded like it could be either a u-joint or the ring/pinion. I'm thinking ring/pinion because I checked the u-joints not long ago and they were fine. Or, it could be normal and just more noticeable with the top up??:dunno:

When does the clunk get bad enough that you need to do something before catastrophic failure? I know most cars have it with stock gears. But when is it too bad? What's the rule of thumb?? I am going to do the 3.55 swap when I do it, but I'm not quite ready due to my upcoming travels. I would rather change it out early before any failure than have it fail and possibly tear up the entire unit.

Thoughts???
I would start by asking your transmission guy. I will put it out there that I know very little about that gen . We have bikes and my road king has always had a clunk
when shifted others that same year don't. I have always had it serviced and maintained through dealer and never anything wrong. Course remember my
knowledge is limited but I'm still learning.

OP
OP
C

cdover73

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There has always been slack in the gears. With the car on jacks you can turn the drive shaft back and forth and hear the backlash. I always thought it was excessive, but I also hear these cars are famous for clunky drivelines. Oh well... that gives me an excuse to do the work as soon as I get back from Saudi. How much should I expect for a complete gear job if I buy the parts and have someone install them?

broomrider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There has always been slack in the gears. With the car on jacks you can turn the drive shaft back and forth and hear the backlash. I always thought it was excessive, but I also hear these cars are famous for clunky drivelines. Oh well... that gives me an excuse to do the work as soon as I get back from Saudi. How much should I expect for a complete gear job if I buy the parts and have someone install them?
I hear there is a rule of thumb that great mechanic work is cheap compared to the repairs of bad mechanic work. Lol. I have several mechanics in my family. Just not Viper mechanics

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thiagets