Driving in the rain

jjbondzio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone Drive their Viper in the rain. I try to avoid it and got caught in the rain just a few min ago and was wondering if there really is anything bad with driving it in the rain. will the rain water mess up the paint for example or what. please let me know. thanks

Yellow32

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You drove your Viper in the rain? Please post your VIN so we can take it off the "good" list and put it on the "track only" list. And, I'll take it off your hands for you, how does $100 sound?

benson8708

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I got caught once and drove my 95 in the rain and I just took it real easy and had no problems. The only thing that it did was clean off my top real nice, it looked brand new. lol

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
all the time!

drove back from Niagara Falls with a pack of Vipers yesterday and we were all running just fine:) looks great after the wash today too

Chrissss

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Does anyone Drive their Viper in the rain. I try to avoid it and got caught in the rain just a few min ago and was wondering if there really is anything bad with driving it in the rain. will the rain water mess up the paint for example or what. please let me know. thanks
Mess up the paint?? You're kidding right? It's just with the power of the Viper that you have to be careful. The tires also, depending on what the are, are not usually too good in the rain.

OP
OP
J

jjbondzio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
oh i was just wondering cuz the guy i bought it from was telling me that its never been driven in the rain and he would never drive in it. i didnt know if its bad or not to get water from the road splashed up all on the underside of the car. especially with the oil on the roads and what not

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You drove your Viper in the rain? Please post your VIN so we can take it off the "good" list and put it on the "track only" list. And, I'll take it off your hands for you, how does $100 sound?

yes, I agree. By the time you wake up tomorrow. All the paint will have melted off. And you'll have to call the insurance company. They will most likely consider it a total loss. Im very sorry..:lmao:

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it's well known that vipers melt in the rain. Some sort of reaction causes the bodies to sag and drip. After a few good showers you'll step out to see a puddle of colored plastic sitting around a big go cart!

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Only thing I WOULDN'T do is if I drove my Viper in the rain, let it set for any length of time without washing it. I think rain drops left on a car can be difficult to get off.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If Dave doesn't jump in before post #12, there is no way he'll ever make it into the DD club. Not after his "I drove it through spit" post.

Oh, my, gosh. I'm post #12. Sorry, Dave, really, really sorry.

Last edited:

eliems

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am trying to decide whether to keep the car insured all winter, Vancouver gets mostly rain and very little snow, ( I do not want to drive this car in the snow ever!).

Anyway I gather that even with the hard top there is likely to be water coming in during a heavy rain storm? I guess I can always towel everything down if the interior gets wet.

dragon rider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go drive in the rain and find a big empty parking lot and let the fun begin. You can learn about some of the cars characteristics without killing those expensive tires.

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love to watch the wipers in the rain though with the rake of the windshield makes them almost unneccessary on the freeway. Reminds me of watching the LeMans race cars running in the rain.

BigBadViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love to watch the wipers in the rain though with the rake of the windshield makes them almost unneccessary on the freeway. Reminds me of watching the LeMans race cars running in the rain.

Wait....These cars have wipers??

Seriously I would drive my car in the rain if I didn't have drag radials.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i didnt know if its bad or not to get water from the road splashed up all on the underside of the car. especially with the oil on the roads and what not

it is bad

you must now get a 4 post lift in order to keep the underside clean :D

not doggin' you bro, i'm helping you out :2tu:

:drive:

mach4444

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hard not to get caught in the rain in south florida.
car handles great, just watch out for the big puddles.
some great advice I read posted once, drive in one higher gear than you normally would when raining and you will be just fine.

Toby

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got caught in the rain once a few years ago with my old 99 GTS. I was totally hypnotized watching the wipers. It was like I found an option on the car that I thought never existed.

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Boy these guys are giving you the business pretty good.

Really, I think traction is the big concern. Lots of power and torque, tires that are not really made for rain, slick conditions. Just drive carefully.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave, if you twist the end of the turn signal stalk, those black arm thingys that hold your cowl down will move to the left and right to squeegee the rain off the windshield. Should improve the visibility dramatically.

CajunViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
South Louisiana gets 72 inches of rain a year.
If I waited for the rain to stop I would never drive my car.
But it's great on the days it does not rain.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave, if you twist the end of the turn signal stalk, those black arm thingys that hold your cowl down will move to the left and right to squeegee the rain off the windshield. Should improve the visibility dramatically.

I am such an incredible camera taker person dude photographer that I waited for them to be at BDC before snapping the pic. I wanted everyone to think wow, that Dave is one daily driver kinda guy. Heck, not only does he drive his car in the rain, he does it with the wipers off.

white out

Enthusiast
Reaction score
day one:
You must be registered for see images

two cars were shiny side down at two different points.

Nick

darkostoj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i hate driving in the rain. I get caught sometimes and its got a coating of rain-x on the windshields from like 10 years ago that still works haha

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drove my '05 every day for three years, 36K miles. I drove it in the rain all the time and even got caught in a snow flurry once (that will make you very careful).

It's really not a problem, it just gives you an opportunity to practice your car control skills.

If you're concerned about safety, just drive it in one gear higher than you normally would, in order to miniize the torque you are using.

Vman455

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drove from Illinois to western Washington last month, and miraculously encountered no rain until just as I was pulling into my parents' driveway outside Tacoma. The next few days it was pouring, though. These cars do just fine in the rain, just drive a little more carefully (like you would in any other vehicle).