Dropped a Mov'it brake caliper on the freeway - aka "case of the missing locktite"

Todd Richmond

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dropped a Mov\'it brake caliper on the freeway - aka \"case of the missing locktite\"

This is a warning to all Mov'it Porsche Big Red brake kit owners - ensuring that whoever installed your set used proper locktite/lockwashers and torque settings is really, really, REALLY CRITICAL. There is a nice skid mark on highway 85 and egg shaped Fikse wheel in my garage to prove it
smile.gif
1 mounting bolt fell off and the other broke, causing the caliper to use the rim as a more efficient braking surface...

Whoever installed my kit for the previous owner just tightened down clean bolts and let 'em rip. The Mov'it system requires you to cut off the stock mounting holes and grind down the surface to match up a new bracket. However, the ground surface will never be perfectly flat so the whole system gradually rocks enough to drive the bolts out if not installed properly. My other 3 calipers were ready to go also...

Thanks to Ted May for letting me leave my poor Viper at his shop for 7 weeks while I tracked down parts to put it back together again...

Tiepilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Dropped a Mov\'it brake caliper on the freeway - aka \"case of the missing locktite\"

Holy Cow!
eek.gif

Thankfully you weren't hurt or worse.

Tomer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Dropped a Mov\'it brake caliper on the freeway - aka \"case of the missing locktite\"

Do standard calipers (stock) require locktite?

Tomer
PS I am close to installing my EBC padsin stock calipers.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

TOMER- the front pads do not require you to remove the caliper to change, the back ones do not either. On the front, remove the 2 "Pins", and the pads slide out the back. On the rears, remove the top bolt that holds the caliper together-(NOT one of the caliper mounting bolts itself). Then swivel the center section down and pull pads off.

OP
OP
T

Todd Richmond

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The scariest part wasn't having the caliper fall off - I felt a terrible pull and downshifted before tapping the brakes the last time at around 15-20mph. If you want a quick ulcer, have your Viper 1/3 of the way into the freeway on a 60MPH exit ramp and then wait 30 minutes for the CHP to show! After 15 minutes I just turned away and waited for the big SQEEEEEELLLLL..... BAAAAANNGGGGG!!!!!!

I highly recommend carrying flares in all cars. Flashing emergency lights act sort of like lightbulbs for moths - everyone zooms in and then tries to zip at the last second...

RockyTop

Enthusiast
Reaction score

WOW!!! I literally just picked my car up because the tech had not put locktitie on my caliper after rebuilding them. It fell off inside the wheel, damaged the wheel, caliper, line, knuckle etc. He's still searching for a replacement wheel for me. Mine's a 97 with chromed (NOT polished) wheels.

He did the right thing and paid for all out of his own pocket. I admire his stand up response to my problem. However, am I glad it didn't happen at VIR at 150 mph the week before !