Drove Right By a Cop and Valentine One Did Nothing

TCKTPLZ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last week I got a ticket doing 90 in 70. A cop was coming along on the other side of the road behind a dumptruck. Since he was actually behind the dumptruck, I was unable to see his car. After this, I had enough and purchased a Valentine One.

I got it yesterday, installed it in my car, and went for a drive today. I live out in the middle of nowhere so there really isn't much to interfere. While I was driving along all of a sudden a cop car passes me. The detector did not beep, flash, or anything. It acted as if nothing was there. I had it in the "L" mode, or advanced logic mode.

Is this normal? The area I was driving in was a valley so I do not believe mountains can interfere. I live out in the desert so there are no trees either.

I am not all too pleased considering I could have very easily gotten a ticket. I was doing the speed limit since there was a few cars ahead and was about to turnoff anyways. The roads out here are very long and straight and it is incredibly difficult not to speed. This is why I spent $400.00. So far, I am not impressed like everyone else on this board seems to be.

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rich --

The cop may have had his equipment turned off. There are numerous articles circulating these days telling about the radiation dangers coming from the proximity to radar and laser equipment. So, depending on whether he was going home or what, the cop may not have had anything on. The Valentine works, trust us.

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most cops have "instant on" radar guns. Unless he had it on, you're detector wouldn't go off.

Danny Ocean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am not all too pleased considering I could have very easily gotten a ticket. I was doing the speed limit since there was a few cars ahead and was about to turnoff anyways. The roads out here are very long and straight and it is incredibly difficult not to speed. This is why I spent $400.00. So far, I am not impressed like everyone else on this board seems to be.

The radar detector will not save you from "instant-on" radar if you happen to be the first car (within range) the officer targets. $400 would be better spent on Dunkin' Donuts gift certificates.

D. Ocean
Miami, FLA

P.S. - How's my buddy Art Bell doing?

Rocket65C

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree that most likely his radar was off. During the first week that I got my V1, I got a good lesson in one of the weaknesses of radar detectors. I was behind Grandma Moses, getting frustrated that I couldn't pass her, but it was curving and hilly. As I came over the top of a hill, BAM, the detector pegged to full alarm. The cop was oncoming traffic, coming around a bend and was at the bottom of a hill. He was in sight, less than a couple of hundred yards. He would of had me cold. Now I realize that you are basically unprotected when you crest a hill. Same applies making a turn or a bend. The Valentine One manual is quite good and illustrates both of these scenarios. The tests independent testors perform on the ****** 8500 and V1 detectors show the sensitivity at 10-14 on flat, open, STRAIGHT areas(by El Paso DPS). It works, but there are a lot of times during a drive that it isn't protecting you. You have to recognize those situations and slow down.

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
$400 would be better spent on Dunkin' Donuts gift certificates.

My V1 was worth every penny I spent. Though not 100%, I never seen such great performance in a radar detector. If you can train yourself to unconsciously react to the sound you can easily extend your driving privileges for years...

BUD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
" $400 would be better spent on Dunkin' Donuts gift certificates.

D. Ocean
Miami, FLA "

Only if you are fat AND stupid. It works. Saved my ASS doing 140+, and many many many other times.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The point being that the radar detector is an "odds influencer". On an open road you are essentially a sitting duck. As long as you have SOME traffic flow around you, the odds are that, even cresting a hill, your detector will sound at least a faint alarm when it detects an "instant on shot" for a car in front of you (since the officer is also effectively blind to who's cresting the hill, he's going to check most every car).

A V1 works best with a "small critical mass" of traffic around you. Odds are then best that you will detect an alarm due to surrounding traffic (both in front and behind).

Danny Ocean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The point being that the radar detector is an "odds influencer".

A V1 works best with a "small critical mass" of traffic around you. Odds are then best that you will detect an alarm due to surrounding traffic (both in front and behind).

My point, exactly. I didn't say the Valentine wasn't a superior product. The poster indicated he was in a rural desert setting (Pahrump, NV). With no "radar bait" around (other vehicles), you are toast if you happen to be the lone car on the road.

D. Ocean
Miami, FLA

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
V1 is on my spring shopping list. Anyone have an opinion on standard vs. remote mounting options? Would appear that with remote, you still have something sitting on your dash/windshield, just not lit up.

The way I look at it, if you are going to travel above the speed limit, you are at risk. Period. If a good detector ups your odds of not getting caught by even 50%, it's well worth the $400. As those that have been there know, if you get nailed doing 100+, your troubles will be in excess of $400.

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I look at it like this, if it saves you once or even twice, its worth the money. Depending on how much you are breaking the speed limit.

ERDOC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It's pretty obvious the cop did not have his radar running. All the other manufacturers can claim what they want about POP and all that other BS... until they come out with a directional warning and bogey counter, there is no substitute.

Danny Ocean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Only if you are fat AND stupid. It works. Saved my ASS doing 140+, and many many many other times.

And driving 140+ on public roadways is what slim and intelligent people do?

Oops...gotta go. Time to mod my car. UPS just arrived with the new billet radio knobs.

:rolleyes:

D. Ocean
Miami, FLA

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree that most likely his radar was off. During the first week that I got my V1, I got a good lesson in one of the weaknesses of radar detectors. I was behind Grandma Moses, getting frustrated that I couldn't pass her, but it was curving and hilly. As I came over the top of a hill, BAM, the detector pegged to full alarm. The cop was oncoming traffic, coming around a bend and was at the bottom of a hill. He was in sight, less than a couple of hundred yards. He would of had me cold. Now I realize that you are basically unprotected when you crest a hill. Same applies making a turn or a bend. The Valentine One manual is quite good and illustrates both of these scenarios. The tests independent testors perform on the ****** 8500 and V1 detectors show the sensitivity at 10-14 on flat, open, STRAIGHT areas(by El Paso DPS). It works, but there are a lot of times during a drive that it isn't protecting you. You have to recognize those situations and slow down.

I have routinely detected radar being used around bends, over hills, etc. with the V1, that's not the problem - the problem is when a cop is sitting around the bend or over the hill waiting for you to appear and then blasts you with the instant-on - that's when you get screwed, and that's why I ease up when entering those areas (which seems to frustrate my high-speed highway tailgaters who are obviously clueless).

Anaconda

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it saves you just ONE time, it pretty much pays for itself. If you get a speeding ticket, you have to pay the fine...then your insurance goes up.

Luckily, mine came with my car already. It has saved me three times (at least) already, and I have only had the car for a month.

OP
OP
T

TCKTPLZ

Enthusiast
Reaction score

He, like everyone else out in Pahrump, is doing pretty well. He owns/runs the radio station out here. Plus, I am sure he is happy just like me with the incredible increase in growth and property values as of late. :)

Thanks for all your replies. Perhaps I should have purchased the Rocky Mountain Detector/Scrambler instead. At least this would have scrambled radar if the detector did not pick it up.

Bad_Byte

Enthusiast
Reaction score

He, like everyone else out in Pahrump, is doing pretty well. He owns/runs the radio station out here. Plus, I am sure he is happy just like me with the incredible increase in growth and property values as of late. :)

Thanks for all your replies. Perhaps I should have purchased the Rocky Mountain Detector/Scrambler instead. At least this would have scrambled radar if the detector did not pick it up.

Hey, I'll give you $200 for that POS V1 right now!

OP
OP
T

TCKTPLZ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
V1 is on my spring shopping list. Anyone have an opinion on standard vs. remote mounting options? Would appear that with remote, you still have something sitting on your dash/windshield, just not lit up.

The standard method mounts quite nicely in the GTS/RT/10 Vipers. I would not really see the need for the concealed display for the exact point you made. On the other hand, the V1 does not mount nicely at all in my M3. The cigarette lighter is mounted much lower on the dash then the GTS and this causes the power cord to have to stretch quite a bit. Perhaps the concealed display would facilitate mounting in this instance.

Eric H

Viper Owner
Reaction score
he could have use VASCAR which is just timing equipment and doesnt show up on radar detectors.

ERDOC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
he could have use VASCAR which is just timing equipment and doesnt show up on radar detectors.

He needs to be stationary to utilize that method or traveling in the same direction as the driver. (Vehicle Average Speed Calculator And Recorder) I busted in Md when a cop was "pacing" me using this method.

97 B/W GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yes, the V1 website says that the remote keeps the lights from going off in your windshield...to keep others from seeing that you have a radar detector and joining in on you.

The V1 is on my list also. Anyone know how to route the cord from the windshield so it isn't seen? How to make it a 'clean' install?

98MODMTR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You all would be suprised to know that only a small percentage of police cars are equipped with radar/laser equipment. Even more suprised to know that the Officers assinged to that car aren't certified to use the equipment anyways.

thebigsnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Our local government officials have solved the speeding and radar detector problems in an ingeniuos manner.
In a word: potholes. You drive slow or choose between cracking up your Viper on the crumpling asphalt or flying off the road completely.

steel snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Reading the concern of remote mountings, and out of sight installations: others have told me radar is perfectly legal. So what's the deal? They're clueless?

OP
OP
T

TCKTPLZ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well today I was out in my Suburban SUV going to the supermarket and sure enough I come to the intersection and there is a cop right there. My Valentine once again does nothing. No beep, flash, or anything. I must have been 10 feet from him.

I have two Valentine One detectors (one for my snake and one for my other cars) so it was not the same unit. Different unit, same result. Yesterday it was a highway patrol car and today it was a local cop car. I guess I need to buy some Dunkin' Donuts and Krispy Kreme gift certificates. :rolleyes:

97 B/W GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Remember, a radar detector is just that...a radar detector, not a cop detector. The cops at that intersection didn't have radar on.