Dumb mistake, please help.

Pryme

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So I was using black spray pain about 15-20 feet from my car, and when I was washing it today I noticed some how a little dusting went on part of the hood, only a small area and because the car is black, it is hard to see but you can see it up close and feel it.

So how do I remove it?

Will a nice buffing take care of it or what about a lil diluted paint thinner, the cars clear coat should be OK I would think, but I would like some advice from you all.

Thanks.:(

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This happened to me when I was painting my hoodpad across the garage. I ended up using Giot's speed shine and their claybar to clean up the paint. Followed it up with a fresh coat of wax.

OP
OP
P

Pryme

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have never used clay bar, is it pretty easy? what do I need? just the clay bar, any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Buy Mothers clay bar and detail mist. (or any other brand at local Advance Auto, Pep Boys, Autozone etc...)

Mist surface and move clay across paint. Dry off with clean towel. Continue until paint feels slick and smooth. NEVER clay dry, always mist generously...

IF you ever drop clay on ground, NEVER use it again. Nothing like sand grinding against your paint...

VERY EASY...

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think Griot's detailers handbook has great info on the Claybar technique. See here, page 32.

OP
OP
P

Pryme

Viper Owner
Reaction score
WOW that does sound easy, I will have to give it a try. What else does clay do for the paint, I should try that with my other car, my Daily driver, the paint needs some tlc.

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
either clay bar, or maguiars makes a "paint cleaner". Just use that, with a micro fiber towel. It will come off.. Spray does not usually stick "really well" to much of anything.. It should come right off.

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I want to clay bar my car but I am really nervous in doing so. I cannot understand how using a clay bar on your car does not scratch the paint. Sure, you use cleaner to lubricate the clay bar as you go across the paint but I saw a picture in Griot's latest magazine and it shows the dirt and contaminents on the clay bar! I would think that by dragging those contaminents back and forth on the paint, that it would scratch the hell out of it!
If you guys swear by clay bars, then I will try it, with slight hesitation.

PittsburghRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I want to clay bar my car but I am really nervous in doing so. I cannot understand how using a clay bar on your car does not scratch the paint. Sure, you use cleaner to lubricate the clay bar as you go across the paint but I saw a picture in Griot's latest magazine and it shows the dirt and contaminents on the clay bar! I would think that by dragging those contaminents back and forth on the paint, that it would scratch the hell out of it!
If you guys swear by clay bars, then I will try it, with slight hesitation.

Keep the paint surface wet with the provided detailer in the area you are sliding the clay bar over and you should be fine. Also, every so often replace the piece of clay if you notice it is picking up a lot of contaminants. I state this because I never use the whole bar from the kit all at one time. I do this every year to my everyday car that is black and it works well.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've done the claybar routine on all of my cars and just did my Viper again. I use the Griot's kit: Speed Shine and Clay bar. The Speed Shine is slippery. Keep the surface you're working on wet with the speed shine. Rip off a piece of the clay, flatten it out and began going over the area. As the clay gets dirty, rework it and keep going. If I drop the clay I usually toss that piece out and rip off a fresh piece. It only take a few strokes. You may need several strokes to get the over spray off but it does work...don't be afraid.

chimazo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paint thinner as previously mentioned, or even a good swirl removal product and a D/A buffer will do it for removing light overspray.

OP
OP
P

Pryme

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I bought the mothers clay bar kit, comes with the clay, showtime spray, and carnauba wax.
I will "wax on, wax off" Sat. and let everyone know how it goes.

So when doing the clay, do you guys recommend breaking chunks off a little at a time then?

TSR6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
YES.

I usually break mine in half. Put one half in a ziplock back, and then use the other half. You might use both, but regardless - if you drop one of the halves - THROW IT OUT, and start with the new one.

If your car has never seen a clar bar, I would suggest on planning to use both halves. As it gets a little dirty, roll it back into a ball and flatten out a fresh surface. You need to be the judge on when it gets to dirty - a little isn't bad...but at least plan on doing this for each body panel ( maybe more) until you know when is time.

-Quick Spray is your friend, don't be afraid to use a lot of it.
-NEVER, EVER use dropped clay
-Wipe up your detail spray as you move along with a nice microfiber cloth
-Polish/Wax when you're done!

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Definitely clay bar. I prefer a good QD as my lube and just make sure you keep kneading the clay and using a fresh surface often. Do a small panel and then roll clay in ball and mix up and then re flatten like a pancake and do next section. Plenty of QD as a lube. DO NOT rub hard as it is not required for the clay bar to work properly, it should lightly glide across finish. If you drop it get a new one.

Do baggie test to verify all contaminants have been removed.

OP
OP
P

Pryme

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What is the baggie test?

I did the clay bar today, it all came off. but the one area with the most over spray took a few times to get it all off.

That showtime spray is really nice, it does not streak or anything. very smooth afterward.

Thanks for the recommendation guys.

B767DRIVER

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Glad it all came off for you. The baggie test: Take a piece of plastic wrap or a baggie and slide it over the paint. If it drags or catches on the paint there are still contaminants left behind. It should glide smoothly.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang