dyno numbers........the king lives

vinny2

Viper Owner
Reaction score
hit the dyno today, and King Joseph of the House of Dell, did his magic, and we got some nice numbers. 06 SRT, K&N intake, and mopar exhaust, with VEC3, got 482/520. JD will post dyno sheet later.
Thanks King and thanks to Arthur at Dynolab........great day!

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At least he didn't call me a dyno 'queen'.

As Vinny said, this is an almost-bone-stock 06 with 12k on it. Only mods are mopar exhaust and it has FULL CATS! We need to do something about that. ;)

Run 03 was the baseline. Runs 1 and 2 had the ROE 'basic' set-up on them which were worse than stock. Runs 11-15 were all consistent, no matter how much timing and/or fuel we added or took away. Run 13 was what we were done with.

sf.jpg

I'm impressed with the way this car tuned with the VEC3.

For the dyno analysts: the car was warm but not that warm for run #3. The VEC3 was zeroed out for all parameters EXCEPT the IAT correction table. While we didn't log IATs, it is possible that the VEC3's correction factor of some sort kicked in and caused that weird dip. then again, maybe not! no idea. But I very much enjoyed tuning this /06!

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The VEC3 was zeroed out for all parameters EXCEPT the IAT correction table. While we didn't log IATs, it is possible that the VEC3's correction factor of some sort kicked in and caused that weird dip. then again, maybe not! no idea. But I very much enjoyed tuning this /06!

Hey Joe,

I have run into that damn dip many times w/the SRT's. No rhyme or reason as to why, sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesnt- even on back-to-back pulls. I have learned to just ignore it and do another pull if it skews something I need to see.

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Joe,

I have run into that damn dip many times w/the SRT's. No rhyme or reason as to why, sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesnt- even on back-to-back pulls. I have learned to just ignore it and do another pull if it skews something I need to see.

Daniel - I wonder what causes it. The first 2 dyno runs had a VEC3 program in it and they ran those before i arrived so the true baseline was w/o those programs. the funny thing is that a) neither of the 1st two runs had that little curve at the end, and b) both vec3 runs (from stock cards) made LESS power than the stock program. in fact, the first run was like 444/454. then we turned the vec3 to 0 on all parameters and got that run #3 which had that weird loop.

odd... very odd.

I still wonder what might be causing it...

but glad to know it wasn't just us!

JD

Dave T(BADVENM)

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I vaguely remember DC Performance being able to remove the dip with a custom pcm. Maybe Dan will chime in.

I know there is a "wide open throttle delay timer" which temporarily cuts back on full power or doesnt fully mix the air and fuel or something like that when I talked to Dan about my SRT Rams performance last year. With the truck weighing so much more its more noticable.

From what he told me its only noticable on the street (drag racing) where you start from a standstill and not seen in/on the dyno numbers since the rpms are usually started around 2500 for dyno pulls.

Not sure if thats what we're seeing but on my truck removing the delay through DC's pcm really woke it up.

Last edited:

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Yea, the open loop timer can cause issues, especially if you dont know its there- the more you try to correct it, the worse it gets. That is timed out within the early part of the pull, these dips are way too late in the pull to be related.

Dave T(BADVENM)

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yea, the open loop timer can cause issues, especially if you dont know its there- the more you try to correct it, the worse it gets. That is timed out within the early part of the pull, these dips are way too late in the pull to be related.

Ya, I started thinking about it more and like you said the dips are further into the rpm band then what I described happens.

vprtech

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Often when I see dips in the power curve , it's from the pcm pulling timing due to knock. If you have access to a pc logging tool, such as the one sold by EASE at www.obd2.com, or www.autoenginuity.com you could log knock retard against engine rpm and see if that was happening. Both of these companies offer DCX specific scan tools that will log much faster and offer more parameters than a generic OBD tool.

Other causes for high rpm misfire that we have seen include plug wires that are not fully locked onto the spark plug , faulty park plugs , burnt spark plug wire boots, and crankshaft position sensor issues .

I think in this instance, that the enrichment delay is not causing this problem. The enrichment delay (WOT timer) is a problem for vehicles with forced induction as the vehicle will stay in closed loop fuel trim for a variable amount of time under full load , and learn out extra fuel that may have been tuned in with a piggy back fuel controller.

- Chris

www.dcperfomanceinc.com

Fast Too

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quick question for everyone. Didn't dodge advertise the stock HP to be 510 on the 06 SRT? The reason I am asking is because I am getting ready to do these same upgrades except with a Corsa Track exhaust instead of MOPAR. If I am not getting at least 520 afterward on the power I'll be disappointed.

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't have the A/F chart handy, but it was set-up to be a pretty solid 12.7 all the way across. This was POST CAT so i don't know what the true A/F is... but 12.7 is what the car liked. A lot. Tried pulling out some and adding some... it didn't like it.

I'll try to track down the actual readings, but the dyno guy has them for sure!

JD

Flyntgr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
12.7 is what I'm looking for, Joseph. I hope we can get that across the board. Mine seems to dip into the low 11's at times; much too rich for decent h.p. Reggie

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Often when I see dips in the power curve , it's from the pcm pulling timing due to knock. If you have access to a pc logging tool, such as the one sold by EASE at www.obd2.com, or www.autoenginuity.com you could log knock retard against engine rpm and see if that was happening. Both of these companies offer DCX specific scan tools that will log much faster and offer more parameters than a generic OBD tool.

- Chris

www.dcperfomanceinc.com

I have seen this issue on many 2004's... no knock sensors. Also, it is not car specific, and always occurs around the same RPM range, at random.... my bet is on a programming anomoly.

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is the actual A/F readout from Steve's dyno tuning session. Green A/F is Steve's A/F

The BLUE is from a different car with similar mods with NO VEC3.
The RED is from a similar car (same as BLUE car) with a Mopar re-flash of the PCM. It is hard to believe that dodge sent the cars out with a computer that runs this rich! a little tuning on that map would make the cars get better gas mileage from the factory!

[Since I didn't get permission for the overlay from the owner of the car who has the red and blue runs, i removed the file names]

saf.jpg

Dyno Dave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is the actual A/F readout from Steve's dyno tuning session. Green A/F is Steve's A/F

The BLUE is from a different car with similar mods with NO VEC3.
The RED is from a similar car (same as BLUE car) with a Mopar re-flash of the PCM. It is hard to believe that dodge sent the cars out with a computer that runs this rich! a little tuning on that map would make the cars get better gas mileage from the factory!

I'm sorry I let the cars out with that tune but I can't let the cats meltdown. You folks need to remember that air/fuel ratio is rich for a reason not because SRT is getting kickbacks from OPEC. If you hold the engine at WOT @ 6000 rpm until the EGT's stabilized (it takes about 60 seconds or so) you would see that I have the EGTs right at the component and catalyst temp limits. Of course, the typical engine speed scenario is transient and you can lean it out for many conditions BUT if that worst case scenario shows up meltdown WILL occur.

Dyno Dave

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery