Emblem Mod-Smoking out Chrome

crviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I posted this on ViperAlley as well but wanted to share with everyone on here.
So yeah I realized after smoking out my lenses that the front and rear emblems seemed to not really go with the car. They have chrome that really stood out. So I took some of the same material I used for lens tinting, placed it entirely over the emblems, and cut out the inserts by hand. NOT AN easy thing to do. But I wanted to share my finished results!

Attachments

• photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 63
  • photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 67
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 56
  • photo 5.jpg
    photo 5.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 75

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Cops here call tinted brakes and headlights "Probable Cause" ....much worse than no front plate ..

J&R3xV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
not a fan of tinted lenses for a vehicle that drives on the street but very clever idea with the logos.

OP
OP
C

crviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well here there are no issues with lenses being tinted as long as the light can pass through. My covers give the custom look but same time doesn't take away light. Unless you tint out the head lights then it will reduce light about 20%. but most of my customers that I deal with install brighter bulbs and get pulled over for that. And this mod helps most to have that brighter bulb be reduce the amount of glare that some give off and at the same time enhance looks. But hey, it's not for everyone. And the best thng is it can be removed if necessary. I make nothing that can't be reversed back to oem.
Now on the emblem.. That was not easy. But just got irritated with the look due that I don't have any other chromies on the car. Now my current project that I am working on today is pretty cool! I noticed that the Viper Store made a kit for the rib portion of the engine. Well I replicated the look and not putting a hole in the wallet at all. I will post pics when I am done! And at the same time I had made and overlay for the side fender emblems as well which giving it a custom look. I wanted to paint some parts but trying to avoid it cause I could live with uneven portions and that I am no painter! Lol will post up pics of that when I am done as well! Oh and on the tinting lens subject. That other big benefit is that the material I use is also thick enough to protect the lens from rocks and what not. And it doesn't have to be black out or somked out. I have clear yellow for that gt racing or jdm look. And have just used clear for just plain basic lens protection.

OP
OP
C

crviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
More of my crazy ideas in place! Check this out! And let me know your opinions!

Now I know what most might say on the fender emblem overlay.."are you going to overlay the R and the T". Well I wasn't planning on it. I kind of like it that way it is. But I want to do the rear bumper emblems next and when I get them done I will do a another look around. And I on the ribs overlay. I did a comparison shot to show how it changed the look. That I actually can sell kits for. And very easy to install.

Attachments

• photo 7.jpg
    photo 7.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 43
  • photo 8.jpg
    photo 8.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 35
  • photo 5.jpg
    photo 5.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 50
  • photo 9.jpg
    photo 9.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 42
  • photo 91.jpg
    photo 91.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 59
OP
OP
C

crviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks. The Rib kit was the easiest thing I have ever created! And love the looks of it! Will be posting up rear bumper emblems shots later after I get them done tonight.

J&R3xV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the rib overlays look nice but the two tone emblem thing is odd. from a distance I would imagine it looks more like VIPER 1 than R/T.

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lotta horsepower increases in this thread.

Your absolutely right. Every mod done to every Viper should increase the horsepower in some way. Seeing as the vehicle is so underpowered from the dealer we need all the HP we can get. :rolleyes:

For the thread starter it looks good, especially the emblem. Don't pay no mind to the HP only people

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice look, engine ribs my favorite....how does it hold up to heat in the engine compartment?

For HP mods, the car is already faster, its RED!!!:bolt:

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't pay no mind to the HP only people

They are necessary ("evils" in your mind I suppose). Unless you want the Viper image to more resemble that of the automotive enthusiast poser crowd than the sports car enthusiast racing crowd.

I prefer the image of the latter. Sad that that would offend a Viper owner.

J&R3xV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck whats the HP increase from your "34" sticker???

No Dave you are not off the hook. Unless you count the dolphins? But you are still the mod master when it comes to unique.

propsail

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any price on the rib kit? Is it just an overlay, and as someone already asked, how will it hold up to the heat? I likee

craig

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice job on your workmanship. One thing is for certain though, tinting lenses causes light loss. Yes, I realize it's a mod like anything else, but it's a mod that actually increases the risk of someone crashing into your car (from the rear). How would you like to get rear ended by some dude, then lose your case because a shrewd attorney said the guy could'nt see your brake lights.

The headlight thing is beyond me. Clearly or not so clear, is that most of the people that wanted HID's a few years ago had to have them for the "LOOK" and not for better lighting, because now they are tinting over them. It's obvious everyone has different desires in a "Perfromance car".

Sorry to put a sour twist on your thread, but I just had to say something. Yes I'm one of those idiots that only mods for performance and not show.

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They are necessary ("evils" in your mind I suppose). Unless you want the Viper image to more resemble that of the automotive enthusiast poser crowd than the sports car enthusiast racing crowd.

I prefer the image of the latter. Sad that that would offend a Viper owner.

Sorry but there are those of us who appreciate style as well as HP. Now I know your red and white stripe viper is something that no one has seen before especially with a big 34 on the side but hey, what do I know. Maybe Ill throw a number for some extra HP as well. Everyone was against me powder coating my wheels, then when they were seen in person every single person has said man those look a lot better, even the HP junkies. Everyone has their own likes and dislikes and posing to be a vehicle that yours is not is a dislike.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry but there are those of us who appreciate style as well as HP. Now I know your red and white stripe viper is something that no one has seen before especially with a big 34 on the side but hey, what do I know. Maybe Ill throw a number for some extra HP as well. Everyone was against me powder coating my wheels, then when they were seen in person every single person has said man those look a lot better, even the HP junkies. Everyone has their own likes and dislikes and posing to be a vehicle that yours is not is a dislike.

I think your confusing a couple of things, at least in my mind. Smoking the emblems or smoking the ribs on the manifold is a lot different than doing the lenses. The same can be said about powder coating your rims. Unless their is an unknown variant like the heat process (during powder coating) somehow weakening the wheel forging, it's just a color issue. Kinda like choosing the color of your car. My only negative feeling about any so called "Poser" mod is when it actually detracts from the original performance and safety of the car. I'd also suspect, particularly on those cars with higher wattage bulbs, that the additional heat trapped within the lense will cause premature failure of the entire housing. Even clear plastic over your lenses will reduce the heat transfer out of your housing. So I guess pick your poison.

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quoted the wrong person :). I'm not confused. I understand the safety concerns with smoking lenses. I also understand that smoking an emblem is not poser, ricer or anything of that nature, it is different and in no way detracts from the look of the viper.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everyone was against me powder coating my wheels, then when they were seen in person every single person has said man those look a lot better, even the HP junkies.

Just like my white hood vents - no one that has ever seen them in person on the car has ever said anything short of I like them.

It's not like at 6ft 4in I threaten to smash them like a bug if they say anything different :rolaugh:

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just like my white hood vents - no one that has ever seen them in person on the car has ever said anything short of I like them.

It's not like at 6ft 4in I threaten to smash them like a bug if they say anything different :rolaugh:

But your a poser Dave, at least for the online **** talkers. I have read so many negative comments about the hood vents. It is not my style, but then again I have never seen in person either so it might be.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quoted the wrong person :). I'm not confused. I understand the safety concerns with smoking lenses. I also understand that smoking an emblem is not poser, ricer or anything of that nature, it is different and in no way detracts from the look of the viper.

I only quoted you, because you mentioned powder coating the wheels. I've always thought Black wheels looked really good, but with Gen II ACR wheels being what they are, I never wanted to "screw'em up". Now if I can only find one more new rear wheel (that will complete a new full set), I will do it.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
But your a poser Dave, at least for the online **** talkers. I have read so many negative comments about the hood vents. It is not my style, but then again I have never seen in person either so it might be.

I think most guys love mess'n with Dave as much as he loves dish'n it out. His dry sense of humor is certainly a welcome addition as well as his crafting skills.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Dave can take it. He isn't thin-skinned like most garage queens.

OP
OP
C

crviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
WOW! Did intend a war to start! LMAO!
Well to answer the questioning on "Does the heat effect my rib kit?"
Absouletly not!
Drove the hell out of my car this past week and weekend. Even purposely left it out in the sun with the hood closed after driving it all day. Lifted the hood and the overlays still sat pretty! They are just chrome strips of vinyl. But can be bent or creased if you are not carefull! But they seem to be holding up so far. And if you are from Georgia. The heat here is RIDICULOUS! Damn humidity! lol
Anyways, I guess I could sell some kits. They are so simple to install and easy. Best way to put them on is to have a VERY lite amount of dawn in a bowl of water and just soak the adhesive part enough for you to be able to move and align the strip on the rib portion on the engine. NOW I wouldn't attempt this while the engine is totally hot! lol, but warm to the touch is fine! lol Then apply and kind of using your fingers like s squee gee and go on top to push the water out. I recommend putting some water on top where the chrome is so you don't scracth it up. And with this technique. You can apply this to all installations of vinyl applications!