Emissions for TX??

Austin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was thinking about running just straight pipes when I get the Viper. Now, I know it will be LOUD but, will it pass emissions with just straight pipes? If not, what do I need to keep so it will pass?

Austin

Jeff Cline

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You'll likely be the scourge of your neighborhood, and angry neighbors may report you to the police, for making all that noise. The police visit and subsequent inspection will likely result in more problems, particularly if you have removed your emissions system and live in Harris county

Anyway, as you likely know, only certain counties in Texas do the full emissions test. Harris county does, for example. Galveston county I think does not. I don't know anything about Vipers to defend this opinion, but I suspect you would not pass emissions without the cats installed.

Jeff

Jeff Cline

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You likely would be OK with that.

I'd suggest that if in doubt, go with the high flow cats but keep the old cats just in case you fail the emissions test. Of course, there are so many Viper folks here in Houston that I'm sure within 12 hours or less you'll have much better, and educated, opinions than mine on this thread.

With that, I should probably go back into Lurk mode.

Jeff

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just had my GTS inspected with the high flow metal cats and it was no problem. All they do is plug into your computer and if there are no errors, you pass. Never sniffed snything coming out of the exhaust. I'm in the DFW area. :usa:

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It depends what year you get! If it's OBDII, all you'll need is some 02 sensor trickers. All they do is hook the car up to a computer, and if it doesn't have any emmisions codes thrown, you pass! Pre OBDII cars get the sniffer test in certain counties, Harris being one of them.

OP
OP
A

Austin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, if I get a 99-02 I wont need to get any 02 sensor trickers (meaning I wont throw any codes?)?

Austin

BigSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 96 RT/10 and I run striaght pipes from the cats back. The exhaust note isn't loud at all to me.....

I passed the emissions part of the test, however, I failed because it seems that there is a checkbox that ensures that the muffler is in good shape...

So, I had a local muffler shop put my stock muffler back on, passed the inspection, then had that same muffler shop take it back off....

Of course, I plan on going with a cat-back system before the next inspection.

RedSnakeGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
austin, you are getting a viper? details my friend, i think i missed the thread with the info

OP
OP
A

Austin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
RedSnake: Well, if all works out (I pray), I will be getting one within the next month to two months. Im just figuring out what Im going to do and things like that. Believe me, you will hear about it when I do get it! :D lol... I will have to bring it up to the Dallas area and show ya (you are in Dallas right?).

Austin

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VinhyVegas