Engine misses some backfiring

OP
OP
S

slitherv10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The streaks are little lines of carbon coming from the intake port running up the manifold. Ive been finding that #1-2-7-9-10 are ports where the gasket is starting to squeeze out. Take the valve covers off to see the ports easier. Make sure you check your fuel pressure also (at least 47psi)

Made an appointment to Raceway chrysler dodge here and let them scan for codes and go from there. Don;t want to do too much and then find out it was a simple fix.

thanks for he info though

OP
OP
S

slitherv10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I finaly got my answer to what was wrong from teh Viper tech up here

Apparently the O2 sensors in the sills melted down. Tech decided to delete them from the system as my headers have springs missing to seal teh upper and lowers and thus the sensors would continue to give me problems if i installed new ones. Going to look at changing the headers to Belanger and solve the problem

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought those o2 sensors were needed to adjust fuel trims in closed loop operations...I heard of people removing the back ones, but not the front. I guess if it works then go for it.

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought those o2 sensors were needed to adjust fuel trims in closed loop operations...I heard of people removing the back ones, but not the front. I guess if it works then go for it.

You're correct. The front (upstream) are necessary. Pulling them out is not an option as far as I know. Rears are "optional" as their purpose is for emissions/cat check.

OP
OP
S

slitherv10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I did drive it home it ran perfect with the O2 sensors disconnected. I guess it does work. On my application anyway.

Looking forward to the Belangers now. Decided to remove the No longer available Edelbrock long tube racing headers. They need a few springs anyway that are missing. Would need to find them from someone as Edelbrock no longer has their exhaust division.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. Very much appreciated !!!

Last edited:

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the cats are not removed they'll get screwed up pretty fast with the front o2s disconnected. I'm sure it's running rich in closed loop.

WDW MKR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No front O2 sensors will force open loop and run from the base fuel table. This will typically cause the car to run rich, depending on weather conditions and how accurate your current tune is. It might also be affected if the car sets a sort of limp mode with a sensor fault code. Forcing open loop in the tune is often a great way to rough in a new tune before tweaking in closed loop with STFT/LTFT.

RTIO

Viper Owner
Reaction score
One at a time . First thing check filter
Second thing change plugs
Third thing change wires
Earths on motor .
And we have found with all alloy motors
An earth up grade can make 15 more horse
Power.

OP
OP
S

slitherv10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Third thing change wires
Earths on motor .
Power.

What are earths? What do you do to "earth" the motor, how?

OP
OP
S

slitherv10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Third thing change wires
Earths on motor .
Power.

I think Earths means Grounds here in our world...he is Aussie as it says anyway....lol...drunken.?...lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang