Engine rebuild updates??

ViperGMC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just curious to find out how the rebuilds are going. I know that Kia and Viper X have an engine rebuild in the process and I was wondering how it is going. Completed yet? Update please. I got my engine back last night and I am in the processes of putting all the accessories back on. Will have it all back together and running this weekend. Parts and broken commitments have been the biggest issues in completing this project. Very excited about getting this car back on the road and feeling that growl again.

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've just ordered new "striker" race heads and cam from Jeff Morys at J.M. cylinder heads. Should be done in a month or two.

The block is currently at Darton getting re-sleeved, and then goes to the machine shop for aligning/boring/honing etc.
Some of the other parts for the bottom end are slowly coming in. Rods and pistons are now on order.
The longest lead time item on my build is the custom billet crankshaft from Crower. It won't be done for several months, so that is setting the pace on the re-build. We are going with a stock stroke, however, so if the Crower guys can't deliver, I can just buy a stock crank. (My crank was ruined when the engine blew.) Displacement will be 529 cubic inches (4.125 bore x 3.96 stroke)

I just bought Daniel Lesser's old accusump system, so hopefully that will forestall any future oiling issues.

They're working on the fuel pump and some of the other ancilary things now.

I'm looking to have the car re-assembled sometime this spring.

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What caused you to need an engine rebuild?

I was at the track and the motor blew.

The constant high cornering forces caused insufficient oil pick up, which led to connecting rod bearings overheating, which led to bearing failure, which led to two connecting rods and pistons shattering, which led to lots of smoke, fire, and other bad things.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The constant high cornering forces caused insufficient oil pick up, which led to connecting rod bearings overheating, which led to bearing failure, which led to two connecting rods and pistons shattering, which led to lots of smoke, fire, and other bad things.

I remember reading about yours in it 1st happened. Glad to see everything is coming along and it getting closer to being back on the tracks

SnakeEye

Viper Owner
Reaction score

All happened while using the comp coupe oil pan too. Things that make you go hmmm...

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kai --

Based on the previous post, were you using this part at the time your engine blew:

"P4510174 *Race Oil Pickup (2003-05 Viper SRT10) $1999.00 :

"This articulating Oil Pickup swings to oil location under high lateral G maneuvers and provides consistent oil pressure during race conditions. Same design as used on the Competition Coupe. Kit includes pickup assembly and replacement oil pan."

(From the Mopar catalog).

If so, do others have thoughts about the effectiveness of this part from firsthand experience or otherwise? Also, will insyallation of this part void the warranty?

Thanks.

/Rich

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kai --

Based on the previous post, were you using this part at the time your engine blew:

"P4510174 *Race Oil Pickup (2003-05 Viper SRT10) $1999.00 :

"This articulating Oil Pickup swings to oil location under high lateral G maneuvers and provides consistent oil pressure during race conditions. Same design as used on the Competition Coupe. Kit includes pickup assembly and replacement oil pan."

(From the Mopar catalog).

If so, do others have thoughts about the effectiveness of this part from firsthand experience or otherwise? Also, will insyallation of this part void the warranty?

Thanks.

/Rich

Yes. I was using this oil pan.

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kai,

Do you believe the CC oil pickup works as intended?

I think it's better than the stock pan. I did a lot of track days before I had problems. Folks with the stock pan often have problems on their first track day.

Talk to any of the Viper engine builders. Every single one of them will tell you that the Viper's engine has serious oiling issues when tracked. The Comp Coupe pan helps, but isn't a complete cure. Mine is by no means the first SRT-10 equiped with a CC oil pan to have a blown engine due to oil starvation.

I'm hoping that the combination of the accusump and comp coupe oil pan will alleviate this issue.

I'm also hoping that the next generation of Viper will have a proper dry sump system.

The Viper is a great road car. I have found that to make it into a great track car requires a LOT of money and effort.

womsterr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine should be done soon. All forged internals stroked and bored running around 10 lbs of boost. I will post pics and a dyno when i'm finally done.

quick2tr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kai -

I think it's better than the stock pan. I did a lot of track days before I had problems. Folks with the stock pan often have problems on their first track day.

Talk to any of the Viper engine builders. Every single one of them will tell you that the Viper's engine has serious oiling issues when tracked. The Comp Coupe pan helps, but isn't a complete cure. Mine is by no means the first SRT-10 equiped with a CC oil pan to have a blown engine due to oil starvation.

I'm hoping that the combination of the accusump and comp coupe oil pan will alleviate this issue.

I'm also hoping that the next generation of Viper will have a proper dry sump system.

The Viper is a great road car. I have found that to make it into a great track car requires a LOT of money and effort.

Thanks for the all the valuable info and responses. One last question. With hind-sight, was there any behavior that was exhibited before the total engine failure that might have hinted of a wounded motor?

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I am still working tirelessly to solve the Viper's oiling problems entirely... unfortunately, there is no easy "100%" fix, as the problems do indeed run deep in the entire design of the oiling system. The Pick-up is only one issue, and generally takes the rap for the entire oiling systems design flaws. Unfortunately, the pick-up problems are only the start, and often just what it takes to get the ball rolling so to speak, and then the domino effect in sues. There are major issues with the pump and relief valve design, as well as the pick-up and oil lines themselves. The good news is that the Block dues not appear to contain any major problems, they all seem to be upstream.

I will have much more insight on this, and a proven replacement oiling system available late-spring to early summer. I am focusing on keeping OEM-like appearances coupled with race fuctionality, as well as "options" IE: time savers for any of you who may add onto the oiling system It will already be equipped with supply and return ports, etc.

I will openly admit, this type of package will have a small following due to the cost. However, if you track your car and value your engine...especially if it has big-bucks sunk into it, the price becomes more reasonable when you put it into perspective. What good is a $30,000, 1000 horsepower engine if it has oiling problems? None.