Engine Starts then Stalls Immediately

Dave Tumey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Greetings,

I searched the forum for an hour or so and did not find a solution (or a similar problem described) so....I am hoping someone out there has experienced this problem and can help.

I have a 94 RT/10 that I purchased in 2001. I shipped the car to FL in November and I am keeping it in garage storage. I have had the car started every month or so except for the past 4 months which my dad missed (unfortunately).

I was visiting the car last week and went to start it...first the battery was very low, it cranked twice and started clicking..then the 4-way flashers started blinking for a few minutes until the battery died.

I jumped the battery and let it charge a bit then attempted to start the engine.

When the key is turned, the fuel pump comes on and shuts off after 2 seconds, next the car cranks, starts normally and then immediately stalls (maybe 1 second or less), I hear the fuel pump running and then it shuts off in another second or so.

I tried to start it several times and each time, the same thing..starts normally, and then dies immediately. There is 3/4 tank full of gas which is approximately 9 months old. It is in an attached garage and covered and has always started each time I ran it previously.

Any ideas will be very welcome!

Dv8tor

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I saw this posted before...

Car will start, but fuel cuts off. You must reset the PCM
Turn the ignition key from the OFF to ACC position 4 times as follows. OFF-ACC-OFF-ACC-OFF-ACC-OFF-ACC-OFF.

Open & close the following in any order so that you hear a single beep. Hood, driver door, passenger door, hatch back.

Press both buttons on the key fob until the car beeps.

That's it. The system is reset.

Or… remove the positive terminal on battery.

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Since the battery was lazy, the computer could also be in "relearn mode"... which in fact, does cause stallout at idle.

Did you try depressing the pedal a bit to keep it running? If it stays running during this test, drive the car for about 10 minutes.... more than likely, all will be ok after that.

Another possibility, be aware that the idle control sensor (or some other important idle doohicky?) is controlled by a 12 volt supply. If the battery is weak (even if the car starts), I've personally experienced stalling during decelleration. Once the battery was replaced, the problem was gone.

93Cobra

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Same thing happened to me. Bought a new battery and solved the problem.

aztrek

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your problem is in the alarm module RKE, located under the steering wheel. Low battery, or jumping can put the RKE module asleep then the fuel cutout engages and the car will crank fire then die. To re set, locate the green wire just under the dash, you will see an open end, ground it, turn on the ignition and press a button on your remote transmitter to "awaken" and reset the alarm system. I just fried one of these modules changing a battery and I'm unfortunately now an expert...you really have to be careful doing that or jumping the car, and it is best not to let the battery get real low.

Good luck JC

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang