English reviews of the Viper...

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unfortunately most American cars get a slating due to 'poor handling' on our twisty,bumpy,narrow roads. Its usually said they're comfy straight liners that can't go around corners, not that I agree with that. Most reports I've read recently love the viper for its allround outrageousness

Paul Fischer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's so quintesentially American. Big, brash, powerful and sure of itself. It's a soccer hooligan on wheels (but with a LeMans pedigree) except that this time it's a Yank. Tasteful understatement? Not exactly. Unlikely to be confused with anything "respectable" from Crewe or the venerable A.M. works. A tiny motored little econobox built with eurotax penalties in mind? Nope. It's over the top, has a bigger engine, fatter tires and a wider stance than anything from that fair and pleasant land. As Uncle Joe Stalin so aptly observed, "Sometimes quantity has a quality all it's own...".

Nadine UK GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've come to the conclusion that either UK journalists can't drive US cars (they don't like left hand drive), or they make their 'crown-jewels' feel even more inferior that what a Porsche is rumored to do!! Ha Ha!
laugh.gif
embarass.gif
patriotx.gif

Robert Dyck

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've read english auto publications here and there, and I notice that the writers love to bash America.

They love to view themselves as sophisticated, proper, and civilized, while we Americans are just redneck slobs, who don't know how to build cars.

I think it's jealousy on their part. When they consider the industrial accomplishments and capabilities of America, they may feel inferior. Probably resent our cheap gas, wide open smooth roads, and fewer legislative restrictions. However, they think they build better cars... so they like to rub that one thing in.

Pity.

Robert1994

Enthusiast
Reaction score
National pride is a great thing.
Do you know why the Brit's favor room temp beer over our
barbaric habit of refrigeration ?
Lucas electronics !

Robert Dyck

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Old Rascal:
Not all reviews of the Viper by British journalists are bad......in fact, some rave about the beast and consider it amazing value for money.

It is certain, though, that the highly punitive noise regulations prevalent in Europe have caused the Viper to be restricted to 378BHP at the crank
crying.gif

Now, even at this rate of power loss, the car still rocks but, natch, doesn't show too well against the Euro-designed supercars it is always compared with. Of course, most of the competion is a level or two above Viper prices as well, but it just wouldn't do for a magazine hack to spoil a good story, would it.

If you could see the size of the restrictor that I took out of the airbox on my U.K. delivered GTS, you would surely understand the problem. Looks about the size of an old-fashioned VCR.

According to NadineUK, the resonator and rear box are pretty restictive as well, compared to U.S. cars.

Nope, we are not a nation of Yank car haters......far from it. In fact, when I was running both a 911 and a Corvette, guess which one always got the finger and which one brought smiles to peoples' faces? Works even better with the GTS
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Now, where is JonB's telephone number.........time to order the Corsas
BURNOUT.gif
BURNOUT.gif

patriotx.gif
patriotx.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

=========

Why, you old rascal..... I wasn't referring to the Viper, per se, but American cars in general.

I have a Viper, Durango and a Ford...All
American .... and I won't hesitate to break out with a rendition of "God Bless America" either!

..........Like an outburst of "God Save the Queen".

And I'm flying American flags on all three cars.

Peace.

Tom Friend

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
Robert sez:

National pride is a great thing.
Do you know why the Brit's favor room temp beer over our
barbaric habit of refrigeration ?
Lucas electronics !
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I remember Lucas (the Prince Of Darkeness) all too well. However, most Yankee beer is so lousy that it is best kept ice cold, to kill your taste buds. (pun intended)

From the land of microbrews and strong coffee...

Silver98

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is an extract from a BBC program that I taught was quite a tribute to the Viper. (Warning: 4.8 Mb)

BBC extract on Viper

I have other BBC extracts on my Video web page dealing with old glories (many Mopars) and muscle car dragsters.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So what’s the difference? The American Critics are just as bad. They make stupid comments about the lack of comforts, daily driver, cupholders, blah, blah, blah, then try to make up for it with an occasional “brutish power” comment.

As for beer, American beer is the crappiest beer in the world, Brit beer is second only to Guiness.

Robert Dyck

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Michel, Switzerland:
Here is an extract from a BBC program that I taught was quite a tribute to the Viper. (Warning: 4.8 Mb)

BBC extract on Viper

I have other BBC extracts on my Video web page dealing with old glories (many Mopars) and muscle car dragsters.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

===============================================================

Thanks Michel.. nice video. If I'm not mistaken, that looks like Jeremy Clarkson driving.....the biggest American critic of all!

But he seems to like the Viper. Perhaps, were not such a miserable bunch afterall.

cool.gif

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bildoon,

Do you know who is fighting,right now by our side?
Do you know who our President say is America's best friend?

Regarding your last comment about the fact that the reason than the British were not invaded/speaking German is because we came to their rescue.
You should go back to your history books,The Battle of Britain was fought in late 1939 early 1940,way before the USA got involved(except for equipment) in the war after the attack on Pearl Harbor on December 7 1941.
No I am not British.
Luc.00GTS

Paul S Lacey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very dissappointed by some members remarks about the Britain, perhaps you should read the newspaper or turn on the tv.

At present like our love of a great car we are standing shoulder to shoulder to fight a common enemy.

Our road testers have always loved the Viper not perhaps for its sopistication but for its being a pure slice of American pie.

At present my car spolis both Union Jacks and US flags, may god give us strenght to fight for freedom and justice.

Paul S Lacey Oct 2001

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paul,

Don't worry,all Americans,except some peoples that don't take time to think before talking/writting,appreciate what you are doing and KNOW that you are our BEST friends.
Luc.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I knew somebody would make those comments (wrong side of the road, revolutionary war, etc). I've heard them forever. They got old a long time ago. You Brits must get tired of hearing them all the time, I know I do.

Robert Dyck

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just to be absolutely clear, my remarks were directed at the subject of automobiles only, following the original post.

God bless the UK!

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"The Brits are still bitter... The U.S.A. kicked their asses 225 years ago, then saved their asses 50+ years ago. They should still be kissin our asses today since their not spechin ze deutche"
===============================================================
Billdoon:

What is so bad "with" speaking German?

My English is really bad, isn't it - but, I bet, better than your German?

GOD BLESS AMERICA
patriotx.gif

P.S.: And, as a German I'm glad that the GI's brought to Germany and to my parents freedom in 1945 to "make" me in 1960...

TazUK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys/Gals, please lets not forget this topic started about CAR REVIEWS. Not war, or history, or politics.

We are supposed to be "together" because of one thing....we all have a love of the Viper.

Please dont turn this forum in to a slanging match - its about cars...REMEMBER??

Tarek.

1994 RT/10 Red
1999 Lexus GS300 Sport
Size 11 shoes
Expensive wife
bla bla bla....

TazUK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
HI ***!
I know you love your Viper "all-ways" but I bet you love it best doing "them there burn outs"! You'll have to show me how to do that next time we meet up!
BFN (bye for now)
T.