Epic Suckage! another 998 gusset recall done wrong :-(

gtex

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went to do an oil change today and realized I cannot remove the oil filter :-( Of course, I find the very frustrating explanation here. Appears they put the gussets in backwards as several other folks have also suffered.

Has anybody had luck with getting Dodge to make this right? It's a '97 with just under 13,000 miles. I'm guessing they will completely blow me off due to the age of the car. I have what I thought was all of the service records and there is no mention of this 998 recall repair.

mad in texas

OP
OP
G

gtex

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wow. the day just keeps getting better. I went back under to see if I could manage to get the filter out another way. I hit my lip on the cowling then ****** back and busted my head on the concrete. Good times! now I got a fat lip and a knot on my head. I picked the wrong day to take a break from drinking!

Sybil TF

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wow. the day just keeps getting better. I went back under to see if I could manage to get the filter out another way. I hit my lip on the cowling then ****** back and busted my head on the concrete. Good times! now I got a fat lip and a knot on my head. I picked the wrong day to take a break from drinking!

Sounds like you are drunk! Mine has the same problem. Getting it fixed soon but once you know the trick getting the filter out is not bad just messy!

kratedisease

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go to your local Dodge dealer and have him redo it at NO COST. Under federal law these recalls last FOREVER. I knew of a guy who had a 1985 ferrari testarossa and there is a recall on the sealtbelts. The dealer just did the recall free of charge this year and the car is 27 years old. Safety recalls are in effect forever. If it was done incorrectly then Dodge is responsible, because only a dodge dealer can do the repair/ modification. If you get stalled , call dodge LLC directly in detroit or call the federal agency NHTSA who set up the recall.

BlackSnake99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jesus. How often is the oil getting changed in these cars? Unless that frame recall was done in the last two years, that car was way overdue for an oil change.

OP
OP
G

gtex

Enthusiast
Reaction score
it was reported to have an oil change just prior to my purchase 2 years ago (at that point the car had 7600 miles). probably had one change before the recall then one about 7600 miles, sticker in the window matches what the seller says. i'm guessing wherever he went, the clowns just changed the oil and not the filter once they could not figure how to remove the filter. I let it go 5000 miles since it's running Mobil 1.

Timnineside

Enthusiast
Reaction score
it was reported to have an oil change just prior to my purchase 2 years ago (at that point the car had 7600 miles). probably had one change before the recall then one about 7600 miles, sticker in the window matches what the seller says. i'm guessing wherever he went, the clowns just changed the oil and not the filter once they could not figure how to remove the filter. I let it go 5000 miles since it's running Mobil 1.

Ouch! Even if your not putting the miles on it I'd suggest at least changing it twice a year!

OP
OP
G

gtex

Enthusiast
Reaction score
at least I got the O-ring fix done on the A/C compressor. Now she's blowing frosty cold. we'll see if it lasts. $4 in o-rings and I already had 2 cans of freon here :) also added some oil as recommened by the advance auto dude.

I'll check with my loacl Dodge dealer on the gusset fix!

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jesus. How often is the oil getting changed in these cars? Unless that frame recall was done in the last two years, that car was way overdue for an oil change.

My thought too. How is oil being changed? I "think" oil filter can still be taken out, but it's just waaaay messy. :dunno:

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Synthetic oils are good for more "time" than conventional, but depending on heat, moisture and other factors (like a way dirty oil filter.....) they can lose mojo with time as well as with use. From here forward, definitely change it once a year.....preferably twice, no matter what the miles. Its pretty cheap insurance. Hopefully Dodge will make it right on the recall and it'll be easier for you to do this going forward.

FlashFyre

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the same problem and have done 4 oil changes since buying the car. I generally try and empty all the oil out of the oil filter and then crush it a bit to get it out. Usually the passenger front wheel well is the spot where I can pop it out.

I am currently in the process of trying to get a Dodge dealership to fix it. Looks promising.

kand3g

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Gtex, Flash and others....please do not go to "your local Dodge dealer" to have your botched recall repaired!!!! Who do you think screwed up the initial recall repair? A "local dealer" is who screwed up your recall repair. Do your research and find someone experienced with the initial recall repair as well someone who has experience repairing "botched" recalls. I had my "botched" recall (front and rear) repaired 2 weeks ago by Tom Sessions. And yes, the repair was covered by Dodge. Give Tom Sessions a call.

Garron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gtex, Flash and others....please do not go to "your local Dodge dealer" to have your botched recall repaired!!!! Who do you think screwed up the initial recall repair? A "local dealer" is who screwed up your recall repair. Do your research and find someone experienced with the initial recall repair as well someone who has experience repairing "botched" recalls. I had my "botched" recall (front and rear) repaired 2 weeks ago by Tom Sessions. And yes, the repair was covered by Dodge. Give Tom Sessions a call.

Jay Chrysler okayed the repair of your recall.

Kand3g our dealer does not have a problem with a 998. I did one just last week.

Garrett

Sybil TF

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Or most are smart enough to figure out how to get it out.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ouch! Even if your not putting the miles on it I'd suggest at least changing it twice a year!

Do whatever you want, but I disagree with your suggestion. I test the oil on a regular basis. I've always gone a year to a year and a half with mine and I've tracked the dog crap out of it.

Jmch

Viper Owner
Reaction score
with multiple rotations and if you hold your tounge just right I think you can get it out near the rear of the passenger side control arm. and while you are at it you will undercoat that whole area of the chassis with oil. 2 for 1 . .. ;)

daveg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I were you, I would keep your tongue in your mouth though as oil may get on it as you rotate.

kand3g

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Garrett, I did not say that ALL Dodge Dealers have/had a problem with the 998 recall. I only suggested that he and others with this problem do their homework before taking their car to the "local Dodge Dealer" for repair. If you have experience with the recalls, then he has found the right guy! The 998 recall is over 15 years old and there is plenty of proof on this and other forums that MANY of the recalls were done incorrectly. Moreover, look how many cars with a botched recall have had their car serviced at a Dealer after the recall was botched. Kinda funny how so many botched recalls come to the surface after 15 years. Hats off to Dodge for covering the recall for the second time, but shame on the Dodge Dealers and techs who improperly performed a frame recall on an 85K car and had no idea what they were doing!

BlueLIGHTNING

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was hesitant about doing the recall on my car because of the stories I read about them being done wrong. Garret just did my car, now I have not tried taking the filter out yet :rolaugh: Thanks for the great service Garret!! As for the oil changes every 3000 miles its out and I never store my car with used oil. Oil life blood of your engine to me cheap insurance by just changing it regularly.

Garron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Garrett, I did not say that ALL Dodge Dealers have/had a problem with the 998 recall. I only suggested that he and others with this problem do their homework before taking their car to the "local Dodge Dealer" for repair. If you have experience with the recalls, then he has found the right guy! The 998 recall is over 15 years old and there is plenty of proof on this and other forums that MANY of the recalls were done incorrectly. Moreover, look how many cars with a botched recall have had their car serviced at a Dealer after the recall was botched. Kinda funny how so many botched recalls come to the surface after 15 years. Hats off to Dodge for covering the recall for the second time, but shame on the Dodge Dealers and techs who improperly performed a frame recall on an 85K car and had no idea what they were doing!

I agree on all acounts and not just the recall, I think the above would apply to all viper work in general. The owner of my dealership is in the VCA so I have a lot of support for anything viper related

I was hesitant about doing the recall on my car because of the stories I read about them being done wrong. Garret just did my car, now I have not tried taking the filter out yet :rolaugh: Thanks for the great service Garret!! As for the oil changes every 3000 miles its out and I never store my car with used oil. Oil life blood of your engine to me cheap insurance by just changing it regularly.

I did the oil change AFTER the recall was done ;), Make sure you use the "real viper oil filter" if you are doing your own oil changes

OP
OP
G

gtex

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Car repaired by the local Dodge dealer, covered by Dodge. So, at least now I know it has fresh oil and and a new oil filter :) I have yet to get the car up on jack stands and inspect their work. I'm almost afraid to and I've been quite busy with other summer stuff. But the A/C is blowing cold, even in the Texas heat. I think I fixed a slightly bad fitment on the passener door inside panel that had been bugging me.

all in all, we're in pretty good shape now. maybe I'll get some extra drive time in, now that she feels comfortable and properly lubed :)

TexasTonka

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad to hear they took care of it for you. Just saw this thread. We have a tech in San Antonio at a dealer that is in the VCA and helps members a great deal with repairs and recalls. If you ever need anything give me a shout. Ill help out in anyway I can.

We also have the Rendezous event coming this September so block out the 19-22 for that! Get plenty of drive time in that weekend!

troublemaker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had mine done a few months ago. I never could figure out how to get the filter out, it just wasn't happening. I ended up cutting the gusset, it had to be removed anyway. Mine had regular oil changes done, Tom Sessions noticed my motor mount wasn't lined up perfectly. What we came up with was that they may have loosened the motor mount and jacked the motor up enough to change the filter. Mine did get covered by Dodge, but it took some work on the dealerships part as the dealer the botched the job was shut down in Chryslers bankruptcy.

vipergtspa

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have not had mine fixed yet, but I am able to remove the filter from the top passenger side of the car with little effort.

Just make sure to drain the filter while under the car to prevent spilling it on the way up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmagnuss