Exhaust comparison video...Aero cat back and Corsa

wes

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here's a video we shot today to compare Slithr's aero cat back exhaust with my corsa. Hopefully it will give people a good idea of what the sound is like. As for the drone issue, the aero may have some SLIGHT drone but its pretty hard to tell honestly. It also sounds a bit lower than the Corsa's to my ears. They were also a little louder inside the cabin as well. They sounded nice overall. Enjoy the Video. Don't forget to watch in HD.

Wes

http://youtu.be/xIF_igs3zVU?hd=1

SlayerLS1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is a great comparison. Thanks!

Pretty much seals it for me. I like the higher pitched exhaust on a Viper. Corsa it is.

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When you hit 5th gear atthe low rpm the subwoofer on my computer speaker system kicked in quite a lot on the Areo--meaning a much lower note and I could hear some drone (though not nearly as much as some systems). Even a little drone or such a low pitch bothers my ears. Thanks for the comparision. You guys rock! I like the higher note of the Corsa. Nothing wrong with the Areo, just personal preference.

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting, I know it's a matter of opinion, but in this vid, to me, the Corsa sounds quite a bit better. I've had Corsa on my last viper for 5+yrs, but I never heard it from the outside of the car. Both cars sound good, but I think the corsa wins this vid. The aero sounds too quiet. Hmmm, not turned off yet though, hopefully we'll hear more.

Thanks guys for the work on this, it really is a big help to all of us, & your cars look & sound great!
Dave.

Slithr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dman,

Don't hang your hat on this video. I think Wes would agree that both cars sounded better in person, maybe it's my computer speakers but I can't seem to hear the exhaust notes well on my end. I'll do an Iphone recording tonight, and be in touch for posting instructions.

OP
OP
W

wes

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yeah I'm pretty sure It's the camera mic which doesn't do the exhaust justice. Sounds much better in person. I'll try to get a better video soon.

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cool, thanks guys, I'm working on hooking up with Steve, so I may have one on the way soon. Again, thnx for posting these.
Dave.

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Good Job guys. I like the Corsa from the vid, but the weight savings alone is nice with the Aero.

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great video...really, really awesome for you guys to put this together!

I definitely like the deep sound of the Aero, and I bet it would really come alive with some HF cats...of course, the same could be said about the Corsa I suppose, although it would certainly be louder

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Not sure Steve but I have a Corsa track and should see Allen soon.

Slithr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just returned from an Iphone sound clip recording session. I've sent the files to Dave to post (over my head), no pressure Dave :eater:

I think the mic might have been too far away in Wes's and I's first attempt, I couldn't really hear the bass the Aero's produce... maybe it was my speakers:dunno: The sound clips from this evening sound much better IMO.

:eater: :eater:

Slithr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for posting these Dave. I hope the clips helped you determine if this is the route you plan to take.

OK, for those interested. I recorded these clips while holding my Iphone in my left hand, while driving with the drivers side window down (passenger window up). Clips 3 & 5 are the only ones recorded outside of car. I wanted to record the sound from inside the car, so you guys can hear if the Aero system drones?

DaDood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got this exact setup on my '03 Vert. I don't know about the other owners, but I'll give you my quick opinion on the setup:

1) It's loud! It is not like straight pipe loud, but it is a big difference compared to stock and it was a big surprise to me the first time I heard it. My car is black and typically does not stand out too much. But I got a lot more attention once I had the exhaust because the car sounded so much more menacing.

2) It has drone. Don't let anyone tell you it doesn't. If you ride with the top up, you can hear it. I don't know how bad it is compared to Borla or Bellanger, but it is there. Can't get around it. Though, I wouldn't say it is bad; very manageable.

3) It is raspy. I've had the setup on for about ~750 miles and, I don't know what the break in period is for the setup, but there is a raspyness to it that I've never heard on other cars.

Last - I Love it!!! It is loud, mean, and demands attention. I've never heard it from outside my car while driving (I'm always the one driving it), but my friends have told me that when they hear me coming up behind them on the highway at WOT and listen as I fly by, it sounds awesome!! I don't think you will be disappointed with this setup if you get it.

I'm due to record and post some videos of the setup. Maybe I can do that soon now that I have more of a reason to!

Slithr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DaDood,

I take it, you're speaking about the Corsa Track system (in your signature)? The sound clips posted are the Aero cat-back system on a stock Gen III (x-metal TB and AB wires only), the first post is the comparison of Corsa Track vs. Aero.

Last edited:

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Corsa Track exhaust is loud, add a set of high flows and you are breaking the decibel levels at the track at some or most tracks, it has drone, it is a rac emuffler setup without the Corsa RSC tech.

The Regular street Corsa is very quiet

The Aero Vipair is light and sounds good

Slithr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Corsa Track exhaust is loud, add a set of high flows and you are breaking the decibel levels at the track at some or most tracks, it has drone, it is a rac emuffler setup without the Corsa RSC tech.

The Regular street Corsa is very quiet

The Aero Vipair is light and sounds good

Steve

In your opinion, do the sound clips below that I recorded on my Iphone (and Dave was kind enough to post) sound pretty close to what you've heard in person?

DaDood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DaDood,

I take it, you're speaking about the Corsa Track system (in your signature)? The sound clips posted are the Aero cat-back system on a stock Gen III (x-metal TB and AB wires only), the first post is the comparison of Corsa vs. Aero.

Hey Slithr,

You're right. My bad. I should have specified that. Honestly, I did not know that there was a difference between the "Corsa Track Exhaust" and "Corsa Exhaust". The only exhausts I've typically seen on an Gen III/IV are the "Track" ones while the one's on the Gen I/II are standard Corsa. My bad!!

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve

In your opinion, do the sound clips below that I recorded on my Iphone (and Dave was kind enough to post) sound pretty close to what you've heard in person?

Hi Alan,

My experience so far with even my own recordings is that a little of the bass of the Aero/Vipair gets lost and little fo th "bark" of the corsa track gets lost. I primarily developed this cat back to be able to offer a great sounding and relatively inexpensive system compared to Corsa, the Corsa is great but at $1500 to $1700 is up there and in my own experience, I put a set of belangers with a Corsa on my convert I had a few years ago and my wife refused to drive in the car due to the loudness, I removed it after I found I couldn't even take a cell call with it on. It was louder than my GTS with 1000 HP and straight pipes and no cats, for some reason. I guess I just think that a muffler should do more than remove drone, it should tune the sound and hopefully add some power as well.

Slithr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve,

I'd agree, I do feel like some bass was lost either due to wind or road noise. I think you acomplished your goals with the Aero, my wife said it was loud at first but now she likes it (I explained, that folks should feel a Viper pass, not just hear it). I originally thought I would've had to add headers and hi-flo's to get the level of sound, now I'm affraid if/when I add the headers/hi-flo's it might be too loud for her?

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No problem. Steve hooked me up so I'm just waiting for mine to arrive. Can't wait.

BTW, I ran the Corsa track exhaust on my 03 for like 6 yrs and it defintiely didn't drone ... if anyone wants to hear what drone is just come by, my '11 GT500 has a 3" magnaflow competition exhaust & from 60-75 mph you eithe need to turn the radio all the way up, or use sign language. So you go down the highway either at the speed limit or really way over it. LoL.

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Wow, you guys did a lot of work...good job. Sorry to say though, that aero exhaust sounds a little ricy to me. Don't know why.:dunno: I have always preferred the higher, more exotic sound of the Corsa I guess. I have the Corsa track back on my car. Are the tips are a lot bigger looking?, kinda looked that way. Maybe why it had that fart can sound to me. But hey, ya know what the say about opinions right:)

Slithr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, you guys did a lot of work...good job. Sorry to say though, that aero exhaust sounds a little ricy to me. Don't know why.:dunno: I have always preferred the higher, more exotic sound of the Corsa I guess. I have the Corsa track back on my car. Are the tips are a lot bigger looking?, kinda looked that way. Maybe why it had that fart can sound to me. But hey, ya know what the say about opinions right:)

Robert, all opinions are welcome and appreciated. I can't make the BBQ this weekend but plan to see you guys at TWS in Sept. when you hear it in person your opinion might change? Just in case your opinion holds ... bring some Soy Sauce, I like it with my flied lice :D

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth