Exhaust Fume Incursion into Passenger Compartment

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Holy old thread Batman!! This has got to be a record, 5 1/2 year old thread raised from the dead. And some of you say the search feature sux!!

BTW, under heavy acceleration I could smell exhaust in both of my GTS's.

Solid Red 98

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The back of the car always accumulates grit and any exhaust carbon after every run. I assume that the aerodynamics of the car (built in spoiler design) causes a strong enough pressure differential to force effluent back through any aft seams or gaps, including the vents.

I just checked the vents, and the right seems to be slightly distorted. Further the flaps have a slight gap. Perhaps that is why I don't get a huge amount of fumes but I do seem to get it more often than I used to. (27700 on the clock) I will seal the gaps and re-seat the flaps (if possible). :drive:

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you people gotta b kidding me. its a rich running hot rod, who cares. drive the dam thing and if your pansy ass cant handle it,maybe you need to get a miada.

OP
OP
Bobpantax

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow! Six years. Back at the time I first posted about this it was The Wizzard ( Chuck Tator) who explained what was wrong after I explained the symptoms to him. He said that it was a common problem and that he had seen it many times. After the Viper Tech installed the new vents, I never had the problem again. At the time, I had a 99 GTS. It is important to allow the vents to function. Do not just seal them off. Replace them if they are damaged.

The most annoying problems on my GTS were the need to replace the rubber molding around the door frame - three times; door sag (The hinge was replaced once and the door adjusted four times.The door adjustment is an art form in and of itself.); and breakage of wires in the wire bundle going from the car to the inside door mechanisms ( speaker, etc.). Of course a rarely used garage queen would probably never experience this stuff but I drove the car.

I know many of you love the Gen I and Gen II - particularly the design - but the cars were too primative in many ways and although I enjoy the memories of the car ( It had an 8 pound Roe system on it), I do not miss it. My current Viper is mechanically superior in every way and has not had any of the small annoying and time consuming idiosycracies of my old GTS including what I always considered lousy brakes. ( Yes. I know. I could have upgraded them.)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shibbydude