Exhaust Question

RCC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have searched this site and seen there have been a lot of threads started regarding headers and exhaust. I can't find the answer or better yet some opinions on the set up I am going to install on my car.

So here it goes. I have a 2008 Viper. Currently it's stock with the exception of a Mopar ECU. I went back and forth on what header to purchase for my car. I was really leaning towards buying Belangers from Jon B, but Toddy at Bad Boyzz made me an offer I couldn't refuse. Both Jon and Toddy have been very helpful anytime I've had a question.

I've bought the following-

ACRX headers/cats- both have been Jet Hot coated
Ported Lower intake from Bad Boyzz
Corsa cat back from Jon B

I have no doubt these parts will get me more HP, but my question has to do with loudness. I know a lot of people like loud cars, I'm not one of those. Does anyone here have ACRX headers,cats,and Corsa's? If so what do you think of the sound? Also if anyone has this header setup with the factory mufflers what your thoughts? I would like weight savings of the Corsa's but if he stock mufflers are that much quieter I would just sell the corsa cat back.

Thanks for any help.

Richie7

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have acrx headers cats but left the mufflers stock. It is significantly louder than stock but not obnoxious. For me any louder would be tough to deal with, especially with the side pipes right near your ear. I would estimate leaving only 10-15 hp on the table with stock mufflers, but with a ported intake you will be right around 600rwhp without going deaf.

351carlo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have acrx headers cats but left the mufflers stock. It is significantly louder than stock but not obnoxious. For me any louder would be tough to deal with, especially with the side pipes right near your ear. I would estimate leaving only 10-15 hp on the table with stock mufflers, but with a ported intake you will be right around 600rwhp without going deaf.

I did back to back runs with Corsa on my Gen III and only picked up 1 HP/6 TQ. I don't believe the stock muffler is much of a restriction, and we have noticed that for many other late model cars as well.

ACRsnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sound is nice and its quite at cruise speeds , i am talking about stock quite .

power difference is evident by much more wheel spin in 1st and 2nd gears.

Reaction score
The Headers and the Corsa are pretty loud (only thing louder is catless), the customers that have been worried about the volume have stuck with the stock catback and I doubt on a gen4 there is more then 5-7hp difference stock to Corsa.

VicTxV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm running ACRX headers with the factory mufflers plus all the other mods you have listed. If I can figure out how to send you a sound clip, I will. If you guys ever get a dyno day set up, I'll try and make it up there since I'm only 100 miles from H-town.

351carlo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
gen 3 is different then the gen4

I'm willing to bet it's not more than the percentage differential between the two. The point was there won't be more than 5 HP gained between the two and if there is concern with volume, sticking with the stock exhaust won't lose much.

These cars are designed with performance in mind.

OP
OP
R

RCC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm running ACRX headers with the factory mufflers plus all the other mods you have listed. If I can figure out how to send you a sound clip, I will. If you guys ever get a dyno day set up, I'll try and make it up there since I'm only 100 miles from H-town.

What's your opinion on the sound?

Reaction score
The Gen3 exhaust was much more restrictive then the gen4 or adding a Corsa. The Corsa on a gen3 was worth 10-15 hp and the interior was much cooler without the stock setup.

I'm willing to bet it's not more than the percentage differential between the two. The point was there won't be more than 5 HP gained between the two and if there is concern with volume, sticking with the stock exhaust won't lose much.

These cars are designed with performance in mind.

351carlo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Gen3 exhaust was much more restrictive then the gen4 or adding a Corsa. The Corsa on a gen3 was worth 10-15 hp and the interior was much cooler without the stock setup.

Which would agree with my statement that the Corsa exhaust would not be greatly beneficial on a GenIV car and if the sound is the main concern, the stock exhaust is the way to go.

I disagree with your statement that the Corsa exhaust was worth 10-15 HP, as I personally have done back to back testing, on my dyno on the same day with the same conditions and the same exact car, and not seen that gain. Both with and without tuning there was very little gain.

The interior was however considerably cooler.

Richie7

Viper Owner
Reaction score
5, 10, 15, horsepower, whatever it is who cares, the point is you wont feel any of those. If you want it loud, leave the mufflers stock, if you want it really really loud get the corsa. My advice is to try and hear some setups in real life, sound clips throught the computer are tough to tell anything.

VIPER PIT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Would you guys that have heard the acrx/Corsa, would you say that it is louder than the full bellanger set up? (for reference)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cookviper