Extended Warranty

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I need to decide in the next month or so whether to purchase an extended warranty for my 2008 Viper. I have received a quote of a 7/50 Chrysler Maxcare warranty with $0 deductible at approximately $2,000. Cost is not really the issue but I am interested in folks' opinions about the usefulness of the extended warranty itself. Have people who purchased one felt that it was worth it in the long run? My car is fairly stock except for a Belanger exhaust system which my dealer installed. My dealer has also been very fair regarding warranty work and modifications to the car in the past.

Thanks very much for your feedback.

/Rich

Darbgnik

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Extended warranties are like playing the house in Vegas. The odds are against you. The only reason they sell extended warranty is to make money from it. The things that usually go in that period ie brakes ect are not covered usually. Although if you had a 7liter smallblock dry sump V8, then the replaced engine would be waaay more than $2000:dunno::lmao::lmao:

Reaction score
Extended warranties are like playing the house in Vegas. The odds are against you. The only reason they sell extended warranty is to make money from it. The things that usually go in that period ie brakes ect are not covered usually. Although if you had a 7liter smallblock dry sump V8, then the replaced engine would be waaay more than $2000:dunno::lmao::lmao:

If you have not called Bill Pemberton yet you should. We see many a contract car come in for repairs that have more than paid for the price of this warranty so I think it is worth it. We don't mark them up like some dealers so you should give Bill a call and double check his opinion first.

Bill Pemberton
800-889-1893

OP
OP
R

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback guys. I will most likely pull the trigger on this but just wanted some good feedback, both pro and con.

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am interested in folks' opinions about the usefulness of the extended warranty itself.

/Rich

Trying to fully understand the nature of your question. A warranty in my opinion is always a good thing. As mark has mentioned, one blown engine, tranny, etc. will cost you a lot more than $2k. It is purely "piece of mind" knowing that if you experience a (or several) mechanical breakdown(s), your maximum out-of-pocket expense will be only $2k. These cars are full of electrical and moving/mechanical parts and some (just as any other car) will experience a failure at some point in time.

OP
OP
R

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Trying to fully understand the nature of your question. A warranty in my opinion is always a good thing. As mark has mentioned, one blown engine, tranny, etc. will cost you a lot more than $2k. It is purely "piece of mind" knowing that if you experience a (or several) mechanical breakdown(s), your maximum out-of-pocket expense will be only $2k. These cars are full of electrical and moving/mechanical parts and some (just as any other car) will experience a failure at some point in time.

Based on your response I think you got the gist of my question. I was just seeking some anecdotal information/opinions about whether the extended warranty wound up paying for itself or was ultimately unnecessary. I had a 2006 Viper that had few, if any, mechanical issues but did not have very high mileage.

/Rich

VIPER 2006

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My 2006 Viper factory warranty will expire in June 2009 can someone give advice on what the best option would be for an extended warenty.And what is my time frame to buy an extended warranty.

Reaction score
I need to decide in the next month or so whether to purchase an extended warranty for my 2008 Viper. I have received a quote of a 7/50 Chrysler Maxcare warranty with $0 deductible at approximately $2,000. Cost is not really the issue but I am interested in folks' opinions about the usefulness of the extended warranty itself. Have people who purchased one felt that it was worth it in the long run? My car is fairly stock except for a Belanger exhaust system which my dealer installed. My dealer has also been very fair regarding warranty work and modifications to the car in the past.

Thanks very much for your feedback.

/Rich

Why do you have to decide in the next month or so?

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would not buy and do not buy extended warranties for normal cars, as the poster above noted, they are making money on them which means on average it costs you more to buy it than the average repairs will cost on the vehicle. Obviously, it is basically insurance against calamities typically, but in the grand scheme of things, even the worst problems with regular cars only cost but so much to fix (compare with health care costs, where you could break a bank over treatment costs for a severe medical issue).

That being said, I bought one for each Viper, and in each case, it has more than paid for itself, because unlike a regular car, there are a multitude of very expensive replacement parts on a Viper, any one of which will cost as much as or more than the car itself (just check out something simple like a window regulator). Also, I get the $0 deductible one, so that I can just take the car in and have it checked out anytime, without worrying about whether to do so over the $50-$100 deductible and trying to wait for a few things to break to take it in for one charge of the deductible.

As a caveat, there may be some risk in buying one and having your car manufacturer go out of business or go into bankruptcy and break the agreement, but even as bad as the auto industry appears, I doubt they will simply go out of business and even if they go into bankruptcy, they would be foolish to break customer warranty agreements because that would just finish off the business (since you wouldn't get the repeat business from your customers).

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put 36K miles in 36 months. At that point the car was completely reliable, but after that...who knows what will happen. I would hate to not have a warranty.

johniew398

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought that Maxcar warranty from Tator Dodge when I first picked up my ACR three months ago. I don't normally believe in extended warranties; however, I have purchased one for my last three Vettes (just had $1500.00 worth of warranty work on my Z06) right after the normal warranty ran out.

Don't know if I will get my money's worth on the ACR but I would call Tator and get him to price it for you.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck Tator probably (just a guess based on the chatter here) sells the most extended warranties. He'd likely be the first to suggest that you wait till the final year of your factory warranty to purchase. The discount for "early" purchase is not economically beneficial. Best to keep you cash and purchase late. There's also no significant benefit to buying a $0 deductible. You're best off with a $50 deductible.

Suggest you give him a call and you'll get a completely unbiased opinion on what's best for you.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck Tator probably (just a guess based on the chatter here) sells the most extended warranties. He'd likely be the first to suggest that you wait till the final year of your factory warranty to purchase. The discount for "early" purchase is not economically beneficial. Best to keep you cash and purchase late. There's also no significant benefit to buying a $0 deductible. You're best off with a $50 deductible.

Suggest you give him a call and you'll get a completely unbiased opinion on what's best for you.

I bought an '08 with no extended warranty.
Do I have 3 years untill the standard warranty expires to get the extended one? Or is it better to get it now?
Claude

1. Yes.
2. See above

Jeff Monheim

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had an extended warranty on my 02 with zero ded. they replaced my tranni and rear diff then just handed me the keys and away I drove. That one repair would have been huge. I also just received a 50% off coupon from Chrysler on extended warranties with msrp over $1000. Good until 1-3-09. But only on phone orders not purchased from a dealer. I will have to call to get the price on this one.
I think they are worth it on the higher end cars.

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Based on your response I think you got the gist of my question. I was just seeking some anecdotal information/opinions about whether the extended warranty wound up paying for itself or was ultimately unnecessary. I had a 2006 Viper that had few, if any, mechanical issues but did not have very high mileage.

/Rich

Just call it "Viper Health Insurance". You never know when or if you're going to need it no matter how old or young you are. ;)

kwiksilver

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jeff, I tried their 50% off over the phone and it was just as expensive, or maybe even more than regular price at a dealer. :confused:

Jeff Monheim

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Kwiksilver, I was thinking that was the case! I have not called yet but I will just to satisfy the curiosity! Always someone trying to make you think a deal is out there!

OP
OP
R

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why do you have to decide in the next month or so?

My dealer informed me that there was a window of time from the date I received the car (in early 2008) to purchase the extended warranty. I am coming up on that deadline.

Thanks for everyone's replies. Sounds like it's worthwhile.

/Rich

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you all! :cool:

Here is the low-down on Chrysler's extended warranties "Service Contracts":

Vehicles that came with a 3 years 36,000 mile factory warranty:

Surcharges: These surcharges are on ALL extended warranties.
Plans sold beyond 12 Months or 12,000 miles from the in service date, $150.00
Specialty vehicles - Class 2....Vipers, $1100.00

Maximum Care 7 year/50,000 mile [covers all mechanical & electrical parts, except brake pads/rotors and clutch parts]

$100 deductible: [deductible applies per visit to the Dealer NOT the amount of problems]
MSRP $1100.00 + surcharges

$50 deductible:
MSRP $1230.00 + surcharges

$0 deductible:
MSRP $1520.00 + surcharges

Tator's Dodge VCA discount: Less 20% off MSRP and NO Tax if you are not in NY. :cool:

Now you may be able to find a Dealer that sells them for less money BUT will that Dealer take the time to explain the details of the warranties, answer your questions, give you the history on your Viper, explain the technical aspects of the repair and how to handle that Dealer doing the repairs?

"Personal I would much rather shop at a small store, then a giant mall"

914-763-3136

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Although if you had a 7liter smallblock dry sump V8, then the replaced engine would be waaay more than $2000:dunno::lmao::lmao:

That's exactly what we have, in essence; exotic engines, electronic, and other parts that are WAY to expensive to replace even a single component of yourself. So your analogy actually is the best argument to BUY the warranty. I agree it pays for itself.

It's the minivans that are a trip to the cleaners in favor of the company, not the Vipers.

OP
OP
R

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you all! :cool:

Here is the low-down on Chrysler's extended warranties "Service Contracts":

Vehicles that came with a 3 years 36,000 mile factory warranty:

Surcharges: These surcharges are on ALL extended warranties.
Plans sold beyond 12 Months or 12,000 miles from the in service date, $150.00
Specialty vehicles - Class 2....Vipers, $1100.00

Maximum Care 7 year/50,000 mile [covers all mechanical & electrical parts, except brake pads/rotors and clutch parts]

$100 deductible: [deductible applies per visit to the Dealer NOT the amount of problems]
MSRP $1100.00 + surcharges

$50 deductible:
MSRP $1230.00 + surcharges

$0 deductible:
MSRP $1520.00 + surcharges

Tator's Dodge VCA discount: Less 20% off MSRP and NO Tax if you are not in NY. :cool:

Now you may be able to find a Dealer that sells them for less money BUT will that Dealer take the time to explain the details of the warranties, answer your questions, give you the history on your Viper, explain the technical aspects of the repair and how to handle that Dealer doing the repairs?

"Personal I would much rather shop at a small store, then a giant mall"

914-763-3136

Chuck -- Thanks very much for this pricing information. Just so I am not misunderstanding, if I am a VCA member does this mean that your price on a 7/50 Maxcare plan with $50 deductible is $1230 minus 20% = $984? If so, I may be calling you shortly.

/Rich

VicTxV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it is $1230 plus the Specialty vehicles - Class 2....Vipers, $1100.00 which would be $2330 - the 20% = $1864.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's also no significant benefit to buying a $0 deductible. You're best off with a $50 deductible.

I strongly disagree from my experience. In my 98, I had a $0 deductible, 7 year, 100k warranty, and over the 80k I put on it, was able to take it in whenever there was a problem without worrying about getting dinged for $50 each time. Many problems were small, like repairing a little thing or replacing a cheap part, that would have been largely out of pocket but for the $0 deductible. But $50 deductible is fine for all you garage queens out there who aren't using the mileage and just want the years ;)

Chuck's certainly good, but another good warranty source is Ringgold Dodge.

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Chuck -- Thanks very much for this pricing information. Just so I am not misunderstanding, if I am a VCA member does this mean that your price on a 7/50 Maxcare plan with $50 deductible is $1230 minus 20% = $984? If so, I may be calling you shortly."

I think it is $1230 plus the Specialty vehicles - Class 2....Vipers, $1100.00 which would be $2330 - the 20% = $1864.

This is correct.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang