factory acr paint wavy?

dpe_viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
so a while back i had a chance to look at a black viper acr, but one thing bothered me that was the paint, it looked very wavy as if it was poorly painted, do all acr's come like that?

Chrissss

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That seems very odd. While the fit on the Viper has always been questionable, I've never really seen a factory paint that wasn't impeccable. Repaint?

shine

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Pics? The black areas on my ACR are pretty much flawless. I have a black Charger and there's no comparison to the orange peel paint on it.

From some angles, the fiberglass underneath is perhaps a little imperfect and might give the impression of very minor waves in the paint, but the paint itself is great.

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
May seem odd as of now but there have been past issues with paint imperfections on all Viper generations. My 2004 had clear coat "runs" on the left fender area. Was a little difficult to notice at first but it was there. Dealer took care of it.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My black has a little orange peel in the right light at the right angle.
I don't sweat it.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I think you are just seeing what Shine is discussing. With a composite body there can be some angles that visually you might see a little waviness as you describe, but that is more likely in the body panels and not the paint.

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you are just seeing what Shine is discussing. With a composite body there can be some angles that visually you might see a little waviness as you describe, but that is more likely in the body panels and not the paint.

Agreed, I have had far more issues with panel waviness than paint issues, although I cant say the same for "Prefix"

kennyhemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That seems very odd. While the fit on the Viper has always been questionable, I've never really seen a factory paint that wasn't impeccable. Repaint?

Repaint Why?? wet sand it with 2000 paper and buff and polish it.. it will look even better!!

texas_venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have worked on well over 130+ Vipers (and many new ACRs) and the paint as always been immaculate. That is one thing that really stands out on the Viper is paint quality. The paint on my 2004 was amazing... and used to drive the Corvette guys nuts while we were at car shows.

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Repaint Why?? wet sand it with 2000 paper and buff and polish it.. it will look even better!!
I think he was asking if it was a repaint not suggesting that he repaint it.

My 02 has flawless paint but in the right light you can see some wavieness in the door panels and can see the fiberglass pattern simetimes in the hood depending on the temperature. Both are very slight and typical characteristics of a plastic car.

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a black Gen IV, and the factory paint job has sucked since day one.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i think it was your acr im talking about, at the thursday meet in glencove

No ones every mentioned it before, but black is the toughest color under any lighting.
Not sure how paint can be "wavy" however.
Body panels maybe if you eyeball them at a certain angle like stated above.

I'm sure it's no different from every other ACR or Gen 4 for that matter they are all the same panels.

Last edited by a moderator:

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sometimes there like that after u back them into the wall

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also have 3M clear bra on the car nose and sides which can give the paint a differnt look under certain light conditions.

Synergy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think "wavy" should be replaced with "wet"! Jon's ACR is flawless every time I see it, he's a nut when it comes to keeping the paint up. The guy literally makes me look at it to make sure there isn't a swirl to be seen! I might have to add him to the Synergy Detailing team :D

3whitevipers

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Both my 2005 and 2010 have flawless paint. My 2010 was the best delivered car I've ever gotten--I've had roughly 25 new cars over the years including 4 vettes. The vettes were horrible!!---Dave

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang