Fan not coming on...grrrrr

96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm having issues with the fan on my 96 GTS. It won't come on when the engine get warm or with the A/C turned on. I took it to a place and was told to replace the engine coolant temperature sensor, so I did...and it still doesn't come on. I'm not too savy on checking electrical issues, but I did replace the fuse in the block on the driver's side behind the front wheel. The metal had blued a little, so I thought that might be the problem...no luck. any help would be greatly appreciated.

ViperVon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Put twelve volts directly to the fan from the battery to make sure it's not the fan motor. Also make sure it has a good ground.

OP
OP

96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't get the connection off to test the fan, but it spins by hand.
Can I get the relay at any parts store, or is it some double-super-special-part only sold at a dealership that comes with Viper tax?

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The electrical connector may have a locking pin. Red plastic. That must be removed first.

The relay should be a standard DIN relay. Take it out and see what kind of markings it has. If they are non-Chrysler, take it to Auto Zone for a match.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
...in the mean time, MARK the three relays FAN low, FAN high, and starter...then swap out the starter relay for the low speed fan relay , then check fan AND starter for functional status...then do the same with the starter relay and the high speed fan relay and recheck for functional status...this should yield useful info...report back, please.

OP
OP

96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got the connection apart, and one of the pins looked pretty cooked where it protrudes from the plastic. I most likely need a new fan, and considering how bad my luck is this week, it probably fried the wiring harness too.

The good thing I didn't have to take it to a fancy dealership and pay $100.00 an hour because I did it all myself. Thanks for all your help, and I hope all of you have a great day!

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
About a month ago I had the fan fail to come on. Started investigating and found that even though the fuse and relay were fine, the common pole of the 3-wire harness plug had gotten hot, melted, and moved the contacts away from each other. Played with it a bit, reassembled it with some dielectric grease and it has been fine ever since.