Few more shots of 2013 SRT Viper GTS High Altitude Testing

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thought I would just post a few more pictures from the High Altitude Testing in Vail, Colorado a month or so ago :) :

You must be registered for see images attach

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for posting! The 8th shot, I believe shows the mesh storage compartment to the rear of the console of the SRT version. First I have seen that.

Bill

Brian GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awesome, thanks for posting!!! Hope these don't represent the fender gap of the production models.

Austin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awesome, thanks for posting!!! Hope these don't represent the fender gap of the production models.

These are MULES and do not reflect the wheel gap that the PRODUCTION cars will have. SRT has even made a statement regarding this.

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Couple things....

Side markers for the vehicle near the wheel wells? Prone to chipping. Stupid design.

Hand holds on the top the doors for entry. Water intrusion problem into the door. Freezing preventing access into the vehicle. Poor Design.

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Couple things....

Side markers for the vehicle near the wheel wells? Prone to chipping. Stupid design.

Hand holds on the top the doors for entry. Water intrusion problem into the door. Freezing preventing access into the vehicle. Poor Design.

Heya PL.. just a friendly note and enjoy reading your comments, personally I think it'll be fine, the rear lip is outboard and a bit high from gravel being kicked-up from the tire. Ice / snow requirements are typically exempt or ignored for this type of warm climate sports car in production. This car would not pass ice / snow testing for many other reasons, the hood vents don't have deflectors on the underside, ice buildup could occur in the engine bay, serpentine belt, ice / snow buildup in the cooling ducts, NACA cold air intake, etc.. Cars that are typically designed for all seasons also have to accommodate additional wheel opening clearance for snow chains, obviously not on this car as that's usually another inch or so for tire chain sling clearance beyond full jounce and steering articulation, why many people can put bigger diameter tires on all season cars (i.e. on a Chrysler 500) because of the extra clearance in the packaging design which is also obviously exempt on a Viper. Sure they played with the car / mule on a frozen lake to evaluate the traction control and mandated stabllity, but I wouldn't even think to even assume the car that this car is validated to be used in the winter. Heck the clamshell surely wouldn't stay open with the added mass of snow on it, like a GenI/II.. Designing a car for all seasons / climates is extremely challenging to say the least... (I could babble on and on like a bad case of diarrhea..). Automakers evaluate all aspects if issues were to occur due to climate, as in most cases, it would be a statistically determined low warranty (service costs) issue to take a risk, not a liability / safety issue, and there would surely be some stickers or notes in the owners manual to cover that especially if related to liability / safety. You probably know most of this, as I'm just babbling in this moment... and just sharing my perspective for what it's worth, if anything.. and no worries if not.

Cheers,
Mike

PS.. thanks for posting the pics Coloviper.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Austin is correct;

These are mules so they definitely do not represent the stock car height, nor the stock body gap in panels. Those will be tightened up greatly on production cars as can be seen with the red GTS NY Autoshow car. That car is closer in production gap and production stock height for suspension. These mules do not have production pieces on them from the final supplier so take them for what they are. THET ARE MULES, though even the mules have better gaps then I have seen on some production GENs of prior years. It will only get better and better folks.

Just enjoy them for what they are.

mnc2886

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Two things....

1) That GTS Blue on the new Gen V looks absolutely awesome.
2) I still don't care too much for those wheels. Trak Pak wheels all the way!!

garetjax1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Austin is correct;

These are mules so they definitely do not represent the stock car height, nor the stock body gap in panels.

I truly have to wonder why they would test the car with a non-production ride-height. I would think this would have a significant impact on the ride, handling, etc.

bcmarly

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Coloviper: you didn't mention red as one of your choice colors, but it is stunning!

emericr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My first post :)
The cars are looking great.
I am probably what you guys have referred as the "new breed". Never really looked at the Viper before due to the poor craftsmanship and the customer service at the dealership. From the look of it and the commitment from Ralph, it appears they are making a move in the right direction. I will browse this forum for information and feedback on the new car. I am not sure I am willing to jump on a first year production car (especially after my own experience with a first year C5 vette) but it will test my patience if you guys give it a great review.
Currently driving a C63 AMG and looking next year at a C63 Black series or obviously a Viper.
P.S. I hope the silver "rivets" on the outside of each wheel well are pre-production.
Cheers

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
All the cars look great. However, am I the only one who thinks the black Gen 4 vert in the first shot looks just as cool? And why was it there? For comparison purposes?

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any idea how many Mules they've already run off the production line at this point ? Any chance that some of them will be sold as demos ?

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I believe mules are sent to the crusher, unfortunately, unless some high-up exec with connections manages to squirll one away.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I kinda knew that but I was hoping maybe something had changed:lmao: Every time i see them I start scheming how to get one:rolaugh: Thanks but that's not the answer I wanted:lmao:

I believe mules are sent to the crusher, unfortunately, unless some high-up exec with connections manages to squirll one away.

Austin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was beggining to wonder if I was the only one who had noticed that. I know theyre mules, so I will cross my fingers and hope they are just on the mule cars.

I hope the silver "rivets" on the outside of each wheel well are pre-production.

SADVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Two things....

1) That GTS Blue on the new Gen V looks absolutely awesome.
2) I still don't care too much for those wheels. Trak Pak wheels all the way!!

I could't agree with you more, maybe only adding the white stripes maybe not!!

OP
OP
C

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Black GEN IV Vert was testing the GEN V suspension it had under the hood. I posted pictures in another section here.

I do not believe these cars go to the crusher. When they are done I believe they get the old crasher-roo for safety testing purposes. They are milked of everything they can give up to the pursue of production vehicles. Either way they will not be in any hands outside of pure testing.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I keep seeing statements from both sides that the cars won't have this 4x4 ride height. But, based on previous history I'd assume those comments are incorrect until we see actual proof from the production vehicle. Every generation Viper so far has came out too high in the air, I don't expect this one to be any different. PLEASE prove me wrong, Team SRT.

But, no biggie, I'll just lower mine anyways. :)

Austin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IMO, SRT has done false advertisement in regards to the ride height. They said that the show car was lowered even more than what it will come from the factory to give more of an aggressive stance. Now, to me, that's wrong because now people will want/expect wheel gap to be very minimal. I have a feeling it won't be as low as everyone is hoping/wanting.
I keep seeing statements from both sides that the cars won't have this 4x4 ride height. But, based on previous history I'd assume those comments are incorrect until we see actual proof from the production vehicle. Every generation Viper so far has came out too high in the air, I don't expect this one to be any different. PLEASE prove me wrong, Team SRT. But, no biggie, I'll just lower mine anyways. :)